Cobra Commander Jacket?

Zeke1

Uhg, I hate myself for asking for help as a first post here instead of giving it. I feel like I just walked into a room and stuck my hand out but here goes...

After years of putting it off I've finally decided to dive into making a Cobra Commander costume from the 80s cartoon.
Unfortunately I immediately hit a...roadblock.
T7HbAz4.gif

I thought the jacket would be easy - a standard blue blazer. Alas, it's not. After looking over the source material it looks like it has the cut of a peacoat but without the waist or weight.

qWammLk.jpg

I've seen a number of threads here that talked about making it by hand and they look incredible. Sadly, I'm no seamstress...seamster...guy-sewer(?) so making it from scratch is out of the question.

And I tried looking online for a costume to...er...kit bash(?) and while I came across a number of names from cosplaymagic to cosplaysky I don't know if they are legit.

If anyone here has any thoughts on where to start with this I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Can't speak for cosplaymagic, since I've never heard of them, but cosplaysky is not a high quality company. High volume, low quality, low accuracy, low price. Though I will say some of their pieces are better than others. If you're aren't a seamster, or a sew-bro, then I don't recommend trying to mod a cosplaysky piece.

920D4050-0571-477F-A0E9-D1610577D9C6.jpeg
We looked through military patterns at the fabric shop when we made the commander costume for one of my kids. Depending on how committed you are; there used to be a guy on here that sold cobra buttons for the jacket.

Can't speak for cosplaymagic, since I've never heard of them, but cosplaysky is not a high quality company. High volume, low quality, low accuracy, low price. Though I will say some of their pieces are better than others. If you're aren't a seamster, or a sew-bro, then I don't recommend trying to mod a cosplaysky piece.
Thanks. That's good info to have.

Funny thing is the cosplaysky piece I saw I could only find on AliExpress. Which seemed strange so I e-mailed cosplaysky idirectly and asked them about it and they said it's not even their's.

sv883vy.jpg

Sew-bro. I like that! :)

Last edited:
DB Eisenhower Tunic with Lapel You could look for something like this. Take off the epaulets and dye it blue.
Wow! That's really similar. Thanks.

And it made me curious. Why call it the "Eisenhower". What's the connection between Eisenhower and a waiter? So I did some Googling and found out that it's based on the Eisenhower jacket which was popular with the military for a time and became known as the M1941 field jacket.

M1941_Jacket.jpg

None of that Googling solves my problem but I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. :lol:

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back