Gomez Addams Smoking Jacket

Master Chef

I am slowly gathering the materials needed to start an ambitious project for myself - I want to replicate the more structured of the Smoking Jackets Raul Julia wore in his role as Gomez Addams in the 90s Addam's Family films. He wears two, a very loose and flowy shawl collar with vertical patterned velvet body and black facings, and a red velvet bodied peak collar onewith a unique, almost floral pattern to it. I'm having a trouble determining what to call the fabric of the main body of his jacket though - it is clearly velvet, but it isn't a burnout and I can not find anything close in pattern, which reminds me almost of floral carvings in western leather gunbelts and gear. Is it just a dated fabric style? Or made out of a heavier velvet meant for upholstery or drapery? Anyone have ideas?

Attachments

• 4648372-3x4-700x933.jpg
    4648372-3x4-700x933.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 6451f83e9688e2c748f3a339ad63791f.jpg
    6451f83e9688e2c748f3a339ad63791f.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
I am slowly gathering the materials needed to start an ambitious project for myself - I want to replicate the more structured of the Smoking Jackets Raul Julia wore in his role as Gomez Addams in the 90s Addam's Family films. He wears two, a very loose and flowy shawl collar with vertical patterned velvet body and black facings, and a red velvet bodied peak collar onewith a unique, almost floral pattern to it. I'm having a trouble determining what to call the fabric of the main body of his jacket though - it is clearly velvet, but it isn't a burnout and I can not find anything close in pattern, which reminds me almost of floral carvings in western leather gunbelts and gear. Is it just a dated fabric style? Or made out of a heavier velvet meant for upholstery or drapery? Anyone have ideas?
Could be heavy drapery material, not an upholstery one (too stiff for an entire costume). Don't forget that costume designers have access to vintage fabrics from the studios...so it's very difficult to say that this was an "off the shelve" from an outside location or an "in house" find.
It could be a vintage Waverly fabric in a Paisley design (velvet curtains). The sleeves and collar look like protective covers used for moving;)

Could it be stamped/embossed velvet?
It looks to be behaving similarly to TRC 2018.2514.

Could it be stamped/embossed velvet?
It looks to be behaving similarly to TRC 2018.2514.
Yep, could be; as you can see the types of velvets are numerous in terms of technique and final look;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back