Chewbacca Bowcaster Finished

Re: Bowcaster 95% Finished

WONDERFUL...gives me some motivation to proceed with mine :D

A "few" questions ;)

- How thick are your sideplates (mm)?
- Where did you get the knurled discs for the sideplates as well as the discs that sit over the trigger on both sides of the x-box from?...still need these.
- Could you please post some detailed pics of how you did the barrel-assembly and how it´s attached to the scope-mount?
- I see your original Safari came with another -metal- bow-section...just like mine.Where did you get the new bow from?

Thanks a bunch Evan!

Markus

Sideplates are 2 mm thick.

Not sure which ones you're referring to. On the left, there are three imperial discs, one amp knob, and two custom cut acrylic knobs. On the right, two custom cut acrylic knobs, one amp knob, one stereo jack with coiled wire inserted, and two knobs I got in an assortment of vintage knobs from Ebay.

The discs over the trigger are Super Sliders, furniture movers from the hardware store in 1" size. I just pulled out the sticky part on the inside before applying them.

Here is a rough diagram of the part I made with sheet metal. Just folded at the red lines. The large hole on one side fits over the screw head on the bow scope mount. I put some glue down the sides of the mount and popped a rivet in the hole in the back. I lined the two sides of the front socket with thin scrap leather to help hold the barrel snug. Then, once the barrel is held in place by the front mount, I put rivets through the barrel.

bowcaster_mount.jpg

The new bow prod is from 5 mm thick aluminum bar stock. I cut the shape with a saber saw and used strong hemp rope and a half barrel keg to get the curve in it.

Thanks on the scopes...

Sideplates are 2 mm thick.

Not sure which ones you're referring to. On the left, there are three imperial discs, one amp knob, and two custom cut acrylic knobs. On the right, two custom cut acrylic knobs, one amp knob, one stereo jack with coiled wire inserted, and two knobs I got in an assortment of vintage knobs from Ebay.

The discs over the trigger are Super Sliders, furniture movers from the hardware store in 1" size. I just pulled out the sticky part on the inside before applying them.

Here is a rough diagram of the part I made with sheet metal. Just folded at the red lines. The large hole on one side fits over the screw head on the bow scope mount. I put some glue down the sides of the mount and popped a rivet in the hole in the back. I lined the two sides of the front socket with thin scrap leather to help hold the barrel snug. Then, once the barrel is held in place by the front mount, I put rivets through the barrel.

bowcaster_mount.jpg

The new bow prod is from 5 mm thick aluminum bar stock. I cut the shape with a saber saw and used strong hemp rope and a half barrel keg to get the curve in it.

Thanks on the scopes...

Thanks!

I was referring to the acrylic knobs, have the others (imp. discs and amp.knobs already).

Again...VERY, VERY cool :)

Markus

Great Work love the bowcaster. MR were due to make one before they pulled the plug on Star Wars Props hopefully someone else will take up.

This is a fantastic prop. I never understood why one of the prop companies didn't offer it. :)

Dave

This bowcaster is looking great! Kindda makes me want to spend some time and money to get myself started on one! Nice work!

Ooww... nice side plates you got there Evan! I wish I had kept them now since that run of machined parts never happened! LOL!

Looking great! Gives me motivation to work on mine as well... but too many projects and so little time. :wacko

This is a fantastic prop. I never understood why one of the prop companies didn't offer it. :)

Dave

Because it's FREAK'IN HUGE !!

I got to see this bad boy and hold it and it's sooooooo sweet. Unlike a lot of props you see, this bowcaster looks like it jumped right off the screen and into your hands. Holding it I felt tiny. It's very impressive.

Outstanding job.

That´s absolutely wonderful and the best representation of the prop done so far :thumbsup

Do you plan to reshape the front end of the frame even more?
Judging by the reference pics, the original crossbow does not have the "protrusions" which the Horton Safari has. I´m referrring to the front section of the frame, right behind the bow...know what I mean?

My BC is on hold until I receive some more parts to work on it.

Markus

Beautiful work Evan! It was great seeing it in person at Philip's soiree. Someone finally completed one of these!!

Beautiful work Evan! It was great seeing it in person at Philip's soiree. Someone finally completed one of these!!

Agreed. You don't see too many of these around.
What shocked me was how surprisingly light it was. I thought it was going to weigh a ton, but oh no.

not seen a finished one done before, well done and nice work throughout

i have a pair of pink balls here, just need the rest of the parts now:confused

-z

Absolutely fantastic! This is the first one I've seen completed as well. This may inspire a few others to finish theirs up.

Hey, thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure I know what you speak of Markus. I removed it across the top, but not from the sides yet. I told you, there is seemingly always more material to remove. I may get to it at some point.

I've seen a few finished bowcasters like in Macklin's old thread. Markus has one on his wall. Allan, who attended the prop party, did one 25 years ago. Stephen210, who also attended the party last weekend, has done one more recently.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back