Chapek out, Iger in

To be fair, did Strange World get any press or advertisement before release? I only heard of the movie after hearing that it bombed and that it was the lowest rated animated movie by Disney.
I saw a poster or two about it somewhere, but I have NO idea what it's about other than something about an alien world being discovered by cheaply designed cartoon characters. I've literally seen more effort put into the shorts Pixar puts before the movies.

I was curious about this so I borrowed Iger's book from my library. Here is a summary of what Iger actually says:

Iger respectfully approached George about the prospect of selling. They had some history, having collaborated on Young Indy. George came back about 7 months later wanting the same deal as Pixar. Disney calculated that Lucasfilm wasn't worth that due to the lack of upcoming movies or directing talent that Pixar came with.

George wanted to maintain creative control but Iger insisted that was not an option. They both walked away from negotiations on 2 separate occasions over this. But, an upcoming change to Tax laws meant that Lucas would lose $500 million on the sale, so there was an incentive for him to do the deal before that came into effect.

George reluctantly agreed to be a consultant but there was no contractual obligation for Disney to use his ideas, although Iger was happy to hear them.

The main disagreement arose because Disney purchased the rights to Lucas's story treatments. George took this to mean that they would be used, and when the producers of Episode 7 brought their story to him he was surprised and pissed.

George definitely wasn't a victim in all this and he even did a few questionable things himself. To exert a little bit of control, he put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm before the sale was finalised, which came as a surprise to Iger. Clearly that backfired on George when Kathleen agreed to ignore his story treatments.

Then there was George's "white slavers" diatribe during his Charlie Rose interview. Iger states that one of the last things they negotiated during the sale was a "non-disparagement clause". It might be argued that George breached that clause, but Melody, George's wife, emailed an apology and George later called Iger to smooth things over.

Thanks. Another example of don't believe everything you see/hear on the Internet! :lol: Pixar definitely was a hotter company (as far as movies coming out) than Lucasfilm at that point, even though I'd argue ILM might tilt that in Lucasfilm's favor.

Love the interview bit with Charlie Rose...I think George saw the writing on the wall; he mentioned, also, his age at the time and with the negotiations with the Disney people, he told himself "I'm too old for that crap..."I'm cutting the umbilical chord and laughing all the way to the bank" kinda reaction. :unsure:

Yeah, I think it’s bombing because it just looks bad. Not for agenda or anything else. Just bizarre and unasked for and unwanted.
Yeah, Im not loving the idea that every movie that seems to bomb now bombs "because of the woke agenda." Woke isnt even that new with gay novels being a thing even in the past (such as the Tales of Genji which would be considered "woke" if a faithful movie adaptation was made today). Sometimes movies fail because they are just bad or really poorly marketed. Hell, sometimes I sometimes like the premise of "woke" media because the concepts are at least new and something different. I find alot of these "woke" movies fail because they are just really badly written and boring and thats an issue of execution rather than agenda imo (although I guess making women and minorities perfect and flawless sues can be considered part of the agenda and in that case, yes the woke narrative makes for a bad narrative).

Yeah, Strange World was honestly sent out to die imo. Never saw a commercial for it on youtube, no posters, no advertisements here in Shibuya. There was a big billboard for Mando and Obi Wan but nothing for Strange World that Im aware of. I had to check out the now "now playing" section to see that the movie was actually released in Japan (we sometimes get movies very late. For example, Green Knight is out now). With One Piece and Black Panther as big draws and possibly the worst marketing Ive seen/not seen, its no wonder Strange World failed. I didnt even know what the characters looked like until now.

Kind of a what were you thinking Disney moment here.

Yeah, Im not loving the idea that every movie that seems to bomb now bombs "because of the woke agenda." Woke isnt even that new with gay novels being a thing even in the past (such as the Tales of Genji which would be considered "woke" if a faithful movie adaptation was made today). Sometimes movies fail because they are just bad or really poorly marketed. Hell, sometimes I sometimes like the premise of "woke" media because the concepts are at least new and something different. I find alot of these "woke" movies fail because they are just really badly written and boring and thats an issue of execution rather than agenda imo (although I guess making women and minorities perfect and flawless sues can be considered part of the agenda and in that case, yes the woke narrative makes for a bad narrative).

Yeah, Strange World was honestly sent out to die imo. Never saw a commercial for it on youtube, no posters, no advertisements here in Shibuya. There was a big billboard for Mando and Obi Wan but nothing for Strange World that Im aware of. I had to check out the now "now playing" section to see that the movie was actually released in Japan (we sometimes get movies very late. For example, Green Knight is out now). With One Piece and Black Panther as big draws and possibly the worst marketing Ive seen/not seen, its no wonder Strange World failed. I didnt even know what the characters looked like until now.

I’ve said this before in another thread, but the use of this word…. or I should say the overuse of this word… is one of my biggest pet peeves these days. And this post makes me want to go drive my car off a cliff, lol.

The Green Knight is just now in theaters for Japan? Wow. Well, do yourself a favor and see it, if you can stomach very slow and very stylized.

The Green Knight is just now in theaters for Japan? Wow. Well, do yourself a favor and see it, if you can stomach very slow and very stylized.
Yeah. Some of the big studios are doing well with simultaneous releases (most notably Disney with Marvel and DC) but others get released so late that spoilers already old lol. Japan is great with video games but when it comes to movies, dont live here if you dont want to be spoiled lol.

I guess when it comes to guaranteed bangers/big releases (MCU movies, the Dark Knight and LotR trilogy) or movies that the studios just know will do well in Japan (because Godzilla or its set in Japan like the recently released Brad Pitt movie Bullet Train (Japan loves Brad Pitt)), we get near simultaneous releases. But more artistic movies like Green Knight will be released at a time when its already left theaters and are on DVD in the US.

I’ve said this before in another thread, but the use of this word…. or I should say the overuse of this word… is one of my biggest pet peeves these days. And this post makes me want to go drive my car off a cliff, lol.
Not sure if you read my post or just identified the overuse of the word "woke" but since Im trying to analyze the word "woke" as it is used in the modern context (and why I disagree with its use), its why its repeated so much. Hope your car has wings to fly you back to the road.

It's my pet peeve also;) The press and social media platforms have linked that word with many events happening in the Western societies today.
Like people bitchin' because there's no black actor in "Mullan" :rolleyes: (real story)! I call that "Woke".

I call that stupid.
Which is equal to Woke:p

1669830342730.png

Which is equal to Woke:p
I call most people stupid, woke or not. The day before Thanksgiving, I ran into some guy who stopped his car, in the middle of the road, with cars lining up behind him, so he could root around in his back seat for something. His car was fine, he just got back in and drove away, he was just holding up traffic because he was an idiot. Then, 10 minutes later, were the idiot women who were walking through the parking lot, 3 abreast and pushing shopping carts, so they could talk, blocking traffic again. Then there was the guy, driving on a 50mph road, doing 20mph while straddling two lanes. Dumbass. It has nothing to do with woke, people are just stupid and it gets worse around the holidays. I wish we could up the bag limit for dumb people.

Iger recently held a town hall meeting for Disney cast members but he apparently didn't have anything concrete to say on much of anything. Most of his comments were either non-commital or you could maybe read between the lines and get something out of it, but it sounds like he didn't flat out say a whole lot.

Iger recently held a town hall meeting for Disney cast members but he apparently didn't have anything concrete to say on much of anything. Most of his comments were either non-commital or you could maybe read between the lines and get something out of it, but it sounds like he didn't flat out say a whole lot.

I agree, his comments are rather vague. One of his responses comes off as comedically ironic to me. But that’s just me.

From what I've heard it sounds like he's content to stay the course they're on even when they have a movie tanking right this very minute showing they are going in the wrong direction. So I guess full speed and damn the torpedoes?

From what I've heard it sounds like he's content to stay the course they're on even when they have a movie tanking right this very minute showing they are going in the wrong direction. So I guess full speed and damn the torpedoes?
I don't think that's the case, otherwise, they wouldn't have fired Chapek. I'm sure that what Iger is doing right now is doing as much homework as he can to see what he wants to do. While he only has 2 years to right the ship, so to speak, he's only just taken over and Chapek has barely cleared out his office and Iger has probably only just finished setting up his desk. We probably won't hear anything concrete until sometime at the beginning of next year I bet. What he's going to tackle first and how I have no idea.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back