Rest in Peace: Roger Corman

This man was a wonderful raconteur. I could listen to him read the ingredients list to paint and find it fascinating. I don't know if I like all the movies that came out from him, but he helped shaped contemporary cinema by the talent he fostered into what it is today and that can't be denied.
I watched this documentary called Corman's World. It's a really great one. I think he did more for cinema than many people nowadays will never comprehend in the same way as we do.

Corman was a pioneer and a giant. He was much, much more than a prolific B-film producer/director. His influence is immeasurable.

While working at the Venice Beach studio in the 90's Roger came by the set for dinner. At the time the internet was still in its mainstream infancy so information was always second hand and legend. Stage 3 was where original films were stored lining the walls floor to ceiling. A friend and I used to spend hours eyeing what was there. The original prints of Death Race, Big Bad Momma, Little Shop of Horrors... And a black and white print of Star Wars. Roger told us when James Cameron was trying to figure out how the space ships were filmed for Star Wars he asked for a 35mm print to screen. Roger himself said no due to the cost. So JC had a black and white copy made and spread its cost over the budget of a few films where nobody would notice or question. We opened it up to see if it was still intact and almost got a screening of it. We just couldn't afford the $150 to pay the theater.

Also,
At the time we had accidentally discovered the lost BBTS ship models. One was in a crate atop the paint shed for many years. We used it as a lunch table and tossed it out of a truck for a scene. That's when it cracked, and when we used it the same night for a dinner table we peeked inside... That was about the same time a Japanese documentary was being done about JC around the Titanic era.

One thing that always bothered me a little is there was a hidden upstairs in the stage 2 area with a hidden doorway and stairs. When the property was sold and torn down I've always wondered if it was cleared out. Up there was Carnasaur and BBTS props, Death Race stuff and lots of old stuff nobody had touched for many years. Some were boxes of continuety photos, scripts and paperwork.

He died a ****ing legend.

I am not even remotely joking. While I love the MST3K episodes riffing his films, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Roger Corman who was, let's be clear, an absolute baller of a producer.

He died a ****ing legend.

I am not even remotely joking. While I love the MST3K episodes riffing his films, I have nothing but the utmost respect for Roger Corman who was, let's be clear, an absolute baller of a producer.
Some of his films are great on their own merit. Let's not forget some he produced and the talent he ended up giving a chance when not many would. I even heard that one time, there was pizza delivery guy delivering a pizza to his office, and he gave the pizza guy time to do a pitch because he thought he was there to pitch a film to him. No one else in Hollywood would have done anything like that. You're right, he is a ****ing legend.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back