Captain America Suit: Avengers 2 - Reverence and building thread

I'm thinking in more practical terms for cons, maybe using a locking mechanism of sorts in which the shield can lock onto the metal parts on the gloves, so it gives the illusion of being magnetically attached

It would take some design work, but I was thinking of doing something that works kind of like the clip pedals on bicycles.

spdcleatpedal.jpg 2449dc6ea9ed341c232b090ec2f56c78.jpg

These clips are very simple to connect to, but they only release when force is put in the right direction (as shown in the diagram above).
If it could be done this way, you'd have a very strong connection point on the gloves and elbow, and when you want to release, you would just tilt/bend the shield off of your arm.

So, who is going to go through all the effort to make the avengers shoulder patch? If I have time, I was thinking about 3D printing one and casting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the leather AoU jacket and pants on eBay a while back, they look below average in terms of accuracy. I'm still waiting for Cosplaysky to release their version, if it's anything like their stealth suit it's an easy purchase decision for me.

I contacted cosplay sky. They said they would not be able to produce a high-quality costume until into the summer. Several weeks after the opening of the film.

Cool thanks for the heads up, I'm not in a rush to get my costume ready before the movie releases. By Halloween would be nice though!

Does anyone know what types of leather are used on the gaiters yet?

Cap boots 3.jpg Cap boots 2.jpg Cap boots.jpg

It looks kind of like a suede material for most of the boot and then a more finished leather for the front piece.

What's the shoulder lining, Avengers seal, and chest star made of? Rubber? Plastic?

I believe that it's rubber. A lot of motorcycle gear is made like this.

L1030742.JPG L1030747.JPG L1030748.JPG L1030751.JPG

Concerning the leather for the gaiters, gauntlets, etc:

I spent a long time doing some research and I think I might've finally figured it out.

I was looking into suede and other types of materials like Nubuck and none of them really looked right.

converse-sneakers-suede-01.jpg
(example of premium suede on Converse)

735017-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
(example of Nubuck on Merrells)

The Nubuck was closer, but not quite there yet.

Finally, I found some old leather scraps to play around with and here's what I have...

L1030785.JPGL1030776.JPGL1030787.JPG
(sorry if these pics aren't the best)

By taking a wire brush to a leather strip with an oiled finish, I believe I was able to recreate the effect we see on the boots. If you look really close, it does look a little rough, but I think it is perfect for the gaiters and gauntlets. If I am correct, this will make it so only one type of leather will need to be purchased for these parts. You can use the oiled leather for the front piece and then brush the rest of the parts. You may also need to do some dye work if the color isn't right.

In order to get the red straps, you can just use a red leather dye on the oiled side.

I recommend Tandy for all your leather needs.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/home.asp

Attachments

• L1030774.JPG
    L1030774.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 116
That hot toys figure confirms the new shield attach.... already started on a design for the back of the shield to replace the straps, but the AOU one looks really really bulky... mine will not be so bulky. Attaching to the back of the hand and forearm is easy.... but it will require custom machined parts and most importantly, a suit sleeve that will be strong, stiff, and stable enough to support the majority of the weight of the shield. ...IMHO that's the harder part.

That hot toys figure confirms the new shield attach.... already started on a design for the back of the shield to replace the straps, but the AOU one looks really really bulky... mine will not be so bulky. Attaching to the back of the hand and forearm is easy.... but it will require custom machined parts and most importantly, a suit sleeve that will be strong, stiff, and stable enough to support the majority of the weight of the shield. ...IMHO that's the harder part.

I totally agree. It's got to be strong enough to not just spin around your forearm.

Little more detail on the suit and the folding handles on the shield. Looks like both sides have folding handles and magnetic attachements for each side to be used for either side?

hot-toys-mms281-avengers-age-of-ultron-16th-scale-captain-america-collectible-figure-012315-008.jpg

I would assume that there is only one handle on the front side. There are 2 pieces on each arm that are both shaped differently and they have to go into the corresponding spots on the shield.

10382998_792412184142949_7131936958873362702_n.jpg

The shield is already set up to be used by both hands. You would just flip it over. It just attaches using the clip/magnet in the back.

Here is the link to the rest of the new Hot Toys Cap Images.
http://imgur.com/a/gbo3n#0

11 - zuBXklf.jpg

Attachments

• zuBXklfs.jpg
    zuBXklfs.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,284
Certainly not recommending this to anyone but it looks like the Chinese costume sellers are starting to roll out their AoU Cap suits. Honestly this first attempt isn't half bad (ignoring the ridiculous price, that's gotta come down), kinda encouraging if another seller like Cosplaysky can come up with a better version. I already have a nice helmet, harness, and belt, just looking at the base suit here. The gloves and gaiters definitely will need to be replaced from any of these sellers.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
What is peoples thoughts on the red elements of the suit?

Would people say the rubber details on the chest and a few other sections are more burgundy in colour? And the abdominal stripes more of a red? I'm trying to make up my mind as I'm nearly ready for these sections on my build. My own opinion is that the hot toys figures colours look a great deal lighter in every aspect than what i've seen in screenshots and the trailers.

Cheers Clark

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back