"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Re: "Captain America, how exciting!" Now with Winter Soldier Concept Art

Matt, hope the drink didn't end up all over the computer. :lol

I was able to get to fiberglassing the ear cups. This is the second layer of glass on the left side. The nose, crown and back are already double reinforced from the inside.

Last edited:

At the end of last night both ear cups had two layers on the outside and one on the inside. The inside of the helmet is double layered also.

Now have to build up the back band detail that ties into the eyes. It will be messy since it will be built up with cloth and resin to reduce the amount of filler and hope to have a stronger helmet.

Last edited:

:cheers Merci, you are more heroic that OSS Cent Dix Sept.

Three layers of glass and the back-band and side detail start to take shape.

After drying, have to flip it over and do the right side.

Last edited:

Thanks!

The kids that know better may have some corrections but here is how it was done.

The ear flap was a single piece of paper. I made a pattern from typing paper and taped it to the side of the TFA pep helmet. The inside of the helmet was already glassed.
Once era flap was correct size, cut out a left and right from the heavier card stock, bent and hot glued it into place.

For the raised side detail, I also made a typing paper pattern so that I could cut multiple layers of glass to the same shape.

Cutting glass requires very sharp scissors and they don't stay sharp for long.
The glass likes to fray and pull when cutting curves so I ran a line of blue masking tape where the cut will fall. It made it easier to cut and hold the shape.
Pulling the tape off dry is a mistake. :angry But I discovered that the masking tape will float off the glass when permeated with resin.

So I painted the resin on the helmet with a glue brush and then set the cloth in the resin. The black marker lines help as a guide.
After about 5 minutes the tape can be removed. Some areas need more coaxing than others so I use the pointed end of a bamboo stick to lift the tape and keep working the glass into the resin with the brush.

The resin as a long working time and a 1:1 mixture. For proper mixing, I use an old double tube syringe and decant the resin and hardener from the larger bottles into the tubes. There is brown masking tape on the resin side of the plunger... don't want to confuse the two.
I have a proper mix every time and there is little waste.

Last edited:

Filled the center section and cut the groves on either side of the helmet.

The groves blend into the back contour of the helmet just above the raised fiberglass back band.

Last edited:

I have figured the Winter Soldier helmet will be somewhere between these three sketches with some of the Avengers Helmet tossed in for good measure.

I have serious doubts about the round eyes and double step on the back shown in the second version.
Just hope for a close enough guess to modify it when the first spy photo show up.

Last edited:

For those that want to round out their set of efx trading cards.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

So cool!!! Still trying to find someone to commission a Captain America TFA suit from! :D

Dan, best of luck on finding someone to make a TFA suit. Have you given Indy Magnolia or Hello Cosplay a try? They are the only ones I can think of unless you can still find a UD Replica from a third party.

Thank you and glad you guys like my mediocre second use of photoshop. First use was the TOD photo in the Indy tread.
The Army recruiting poster that I did earlier was done in MS Paint so I am happy to have photoshop but it doesn't seem very intuitive.

I am playing with the computer more thanks to the holiday clean sweep. Here is what my work space looks like now.

So while the two WIP helmets are still just that.... they have found their way to the storage place of honor.

Last edited:

If anyone wants to have a go at making their own Captain America cards here is the 'pattern' for the antique paper.
You don't have Photoshop, just a little bit of time with Paint or Powerpoint and you too can add to the collection.

Last edited:

Continuing to play with photoshop since I bought the entire creative suite for my wife.
The funny thing is she thinks I am making Christmas cards.
Yeah, they are cards to giveaway but what she thinks.

I have been wondering why the cards made by efx are the way they are.... Shouldn't card #4 look like this?

as opposed to what we have.

Last edited:

Finished an old friend so it can be better for daily wear.

Thankfully, I had saved the original quilted nylon liner and used it as a pattern to make the new cotton lining.
The labels and interior pocket were recycled so it will have an even more finished look.
Now when I take off the jacket, the inside doesn't look like a discarded chew toy.

Last edited:

On the first day of Christmas....

Is December 1st really the first day of Christmas? :confused

either way.....

TradingCard1Alternateproto.jpg

This is another assumption about the first, just that the first card of the efx set is not the buy war bonds poster card since neither the front nor the back has a number.

On the second day of Christmas Fly4v said to me

buy the set of cards if you want #2. :p

TradingCard4Alternate2.jpg

I darkened #4 a little to more match the stock 5 and 6. The shield was too glossy on the first version.

So if we assume that the war bond poster card is an insert, not a number trading card.....

... the back of the insert cards should be a message from the Cap and any poster would be a card for inclusion in a set.

TradingCardRationingproto.jpg

TradingCardRecruitingproto.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back