Captain America: Civil War

How many characters can they feature in this single film?
Marvel needs to make it clear that CA3: Civil War will be a dramatically scaled down version of the comic story - or else the fanbase might get unruly.
I would be surprised if this film can make such a profound impact.

Here's hoping Marvel exceeds my expectations (again).

Well, they can't do the comic storyline. Not just because Fox has the FF and X-Men. So far in the MCU, we only have less than ten confirmed costumed heroes. Six of those already work either for the government/S.H.I.E.L.D. or the military -- for all intents and purposes registered. Thor mainly operated off-planet and isn't a resident or citizen of the US. By the time that film opens, we'll know about, what, two more?

So yeah. Part of what I'm curious about is what the conflict is over. :)

--Jonah

Well, they can't do the comic storyline. Not just because Fox has the FF and X-Men. So far in the MCU, we only have less than ten confirmed costumed heroes. Six of those already work either for the government/S.H.I.E.L.D. or the military -- for all intents and purposes registered. Thor mainly operated off-planet and isn't a resident or citizen of the US. By the time that film opens, we'll know about, what, two more?

So yeah. Part of what I'm curious about is what the conflict is over. :)

--Jonah

You should probably read the story. Even though Captain America is known by a lot of people, he was still completely against the Registration Act and went against Stark and the government. Spidey sided with Tony at first but then joined Cap. Spidey's roll could be given to someone else like Ant Man. Or even Black Panther if they wanted to give him a start before his solo movie.

But yeah, with Spidey they will have to do something drastic with the story line. I hate Sony for not playing ball and honestly they are shooting themselves in the foot. I mean, they are planning a THIRD reboot for Spidey already with Sinister Six? And I say reboot since rumor has it they will be replacing Garfield very soon, if he's even going to be in Sinister Six.

Sony is refusing to give up the keys to the Porsche because they can't accept the fact that they can't drive.
Sony please let Marvel drive before you destroy the vehicle.

sycor -- I know the comic storyline. I'm saying with no X-Men, no FF, no Spidey, and only a couple of costumed heroes besides those already registered with/working for Uncle Sam, what the heck would there be a Registration Act for? Never mind that ultimate individualist Tony Stark would never have backed the Act. I found that part of the comic storyline so contrived -- forced just so they could have an epic Cap v. Iron Man fight. Especially as the characters have evolved in the MCU, Tony would back up Steve right to the wall. The only way I can see that changing is if Tony is so guilt-ridden over building Ultron that he thinks he and every other would-be hero need to be kept on a tight leash and closely monitored so they don't do anything similar.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm damn glad the Russo bros are directing this one. I just bought myself volume 1 of civil war in hard cover, I know a lot is probably going to change, but I'm very curious !

Badass Digest broke some of this a few weeks back but I'll add a little more flavor to the scoop. Some of this info hasn't made the trades yet. Figured this would be of interest in a costume forum, plus a little something to look forward to as set pics start popping up ;)

Cap - Modified AoU suit, much simpler and cleaner than AoU design, sits somewhere between the stealth and AoU suits. Those who think the AoU suit is overdesigned will like this new version (personally I still prefer AoU). Compared to AoU, they got rid of a lot of the red highlights as well as the white on the biceps. The rest of the suit is a direct carryover from AoU, including Avengers logo, arm magnets, and gaiters. No clue on whether or not there's a helmet redesign.

Iron Man - Yep there will be a Mk46. It's essentially a modified Mk45 but with a few key changes - more gold in the torso and arms to break up the all the 45's red, smoother faceplate design (similar to the Mk3-7 helmets), and last but not least, an inverted trapezoid cutout over the round chest RT. The 45 has a hexagon cutout btw.

Black Panther - Not much change to the already revealed concept art. The suit is generally fabric throughout, with the mask being metal or some other hard material. I did get to see some early CGI work showing BP's movements. They pretty much nailed it, very acrobatic and animal-like, not quite the acrobat as Spider-Man, you can definitely tell BP's carrying more weight than Spidey as he moves around.

Falcon - Very dark costume overall, mostly dark gray with some red. Kinda reminds me of Wolvie's DOFP future costume, also has a mix of hard armor components and fabric. Wings look pretty much the same as TWS. I personally found Falcon's new look to be boring.

Ant-Man - Yes he'll be in the movie, presumably it's Lang and not Pym. Also will have Giant-Man ability. Badass Digest already broke this. Couldn't really tell if he gets a new suit, looked pretty much the same, but the new ability is most definite.

War Machine - This one is baffling to me. I've seen concept art of WM fighting Falcon where he's wearing what appears to be a new suit, but I've seen other standalone concept art for WM where it's the Mk2 suit from IM3/AoU. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Crossbones - Badass Digest broke this one already as well. We will see Rumlow in full costume, looks very Stevenson Punisher-esque. Black tactical gear with crossbones graffiti painted on his vest and skull design on his mask (couldn't tell if mask was a helmet or fabric). I'd say it looks pretty true to the comic look.

Didn't Chris sign for 5 films? Given this will be his 5th film, I thought that was that for him being Cap! But Have read that he's talking about doing the Infinity War films as well. Did he sign a new deal?

They all did, including RDJ who wasn't confirmed during SDCC 2014 hence all the phase 3 announcements were held up for later.

Ok dumb question for someone who doesn't read the comics. Is this supposed to be an actual fight between Tony and Cap? I can't see them actually fighting even if they disagreed. Or is this just a civil war in a sense that the disagreement splits the Avengers?

In the comics there was actual fighting, anti-Reg heroes getting locked up in super-GTMO, and even a dead Hercules. It probably won't be as rough in the film.

Ok dumb question for someone who doesn't read the comics. Is this supposed to be an actual fight between Tony and Cap? I can't see them actually fighting even if they disagreed. Or is this just a civil war in a sense that the disagreement splits the Avengers?

Ya the whole Marvel universe is pretty much divided and they do battle. It's pretty darn good but I doubt Cap 3 will be anything like the comic unfortunately. I had heard that Cap and Iron Man's feud will be over Bucky and his actions throughout the years and it effecting Tony personally. I really wish we could see an Iron Spider

yea I imagine its Marvel Civil War in name only (minus the whole Man of the Past vs Man of the Future angle). you do have to figure the marvel universe at that point in the comics is a vastly different world to the current cinematic universe.Comics civil war was basically about secret identities and seemingly free reign of superpowered people. In the MCU we have Iron Man (identity publicly revealed first movie), Hulk (not revealed but not really a secret if you're looking, Thor (no secret), Capt America (museums about Steve). Along with a couple soies who don't do anything to hide their faces. Aside from them we got Daredevil now and an upcoming Spiderman.

So without having seen Age of Ultron yet, I'd imagine that movie is the comics version of the Stamford incident. The huge event that becomes the tipping point for superpowered people in the public eye. Ultrons gonna cause a lot of destruction that has to be answered for (hopefully Wakanda and thats when Panther steps up). And the result is Steve and Tony responding to it with opposing approaches

I feel bad for Emily VanCamp who played Agent 13 in Winter Soldier. Here was a character that Natasha kept poking Steve to go out on a date with and remained loyal to SHIELD during the launch of the Helicarriers. She was the kind of character who was unique to the Captain America films who may be related to the original Peggy Carter. But seeing how Emily VanCamp and Hayley Atwell aren't in the cast as of this posting, it looks like Peggy Carter and her legacy in the MCU has come to an end. Darn shame really. While standing up to Rumlow is commendable, it's pretty embarrassing when you realize she failed to stop a guy from using a computer when she had her gun pointing directly at his head at point blank range. What a way to end a legacy.

I was hoping Winter Soldier was setting Agent 13 up for a big role. I wasnt aware that she isn't in the cast for Civil War

There is no way Agent 13 won't return for Civil War after being featured in Winter Solider. In fact I am hoping it's a more significant role this time.

There is no way Agent 13 won't return for Civil War after being featured in Winter Solider. In fact I am hoping it's a more significant role this time.

Oh, there is a way Agent 13 won't return. Most would simply say she was written out of the story, but tvtropes.org would no doubt call it "Sequel Non-Entity". And it hurts sometimes. It really does. Laurel Weaver from Men in Black, Bo-Peep from Toy Story, Tank from the Matrix. God, Bo-Peep. That hand wave reference ruined the whole bloody film. I couldn't stop asking myself why Woody is so content with her absence when the two of them had a thing for each other. It's like.... shoot man. Unless she was destroyed beyond repair or the two somehow ended their relationship and Bo left, I cannot imagine Woody giving up on her like that.

Oh, doesn't Age of Ultron have a moment like this? Of all the people who attend the party at the Avenger's Tower, someone is conspicuously absent...

All those are valid examples, where key supporting characters were surprisingly dropped in the sequel, some indeed more baffling than others. But I am still saying Agent 13 will return.

As for the party scene at Avenger's Tower, the missing person's whereabouts is directly addressed. Whether that reason will suffice and is justifiable is a different question.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back