Buzz Lightyear (2 year old) COMPLETED!!!!!

Re: Buzz Lightyear (2 year old) costume build - DEADLINE Oct 8

Check in with Rob's aka PHArchivist Death Star thread. He posted a link to a local LA plexiglass company that sells the round clear domes. You could see if they have scrap halves and cut it for the visor OR buy two different sizes so you could have a real working visor mechanism.

don't you think the doll measurements wouldn't work as well for a child? Buzz is only 12" and my son is only 2x bigger at 36" - even exploded at "my son size" I think the armor would be too small. It almost has to be "exaggerated" to look right on a small frame.
IMO
Or am I wrong?

Here is a quick pattern for Buzz's Disk that is on each side of his boots. It is scaled up 3x from the toy. This should give you an idea if an exact 3x scale up would work, or if each part needs to be scaled up individually to fit.

4840743143_c9b3d4f7d8.jpg

4841767032_d71c296a90_b.jpg

print out the PDFs on 8.5x11 CARDSTOCK, cut it out and test fit it. It should print 1:1 AS-IS

To scale up templates to fit you divide your height, in inches, by 36 inches (the scale the templates are at currently). That number will be your scale factor (or percentage).

For example. Height= 5'-7" (or 67"), divide 67"/36"=1.86111... or 186%.

Last edited:

I just pulled out my vintage first film Buzz to take a look.
For the upper body try looking for plastic tubs or trash cans in the correct diameter and taper, if you can't find one in the correct shape than something larger can be seamed together to the correct shape.
The added chest details can be done out of pink or blue foam and either resin coated or covered in sheet plastic like for sale signs with some putty and or bondo to smooth the transition areas.

I would probably add foam inside the body to keep it from moving around.
Make sure there are no sharp edges.

Some of the other parts could probably be made out of PVC pipe cut to size and shaped and or the afore mentioned for sale signs.

If you don't already have one get a Dremel tool with lots of fiberglass cutting wheels and sanding drums, it will make work go much quicker.
Make sure to use safety glasses.

Do NOT add a real laser as someone suggested, use an LED just like the toy.
The last thing you need is for him to blind himself or someone else.

You may want to try this idea out with EVA foam (Instead of cardboard) for added comfort, softness and a bit of protection: Buzz Lightyear costume

Good luck, I always love seeing parents making stuff for their kids...makes my inner child really jealous. :p

-Nick

That said, what are my options besides corrugated cardboard and duck tape?

I want this to be good and quality, so I am willing to do whatever it takes.

I am planning on a mixed media costume, so it won't entirely be a suit of armor,..

And I promise that I won't neglect this thread once I get some answers, I am a firm believer in pictures and progress and updates.

DEADLINE: October 8th

Thank you in advance for any help.

assuming you could find a decent modler, a pepakura cardboard costume is a decent cheap alternative.

Good point on the laser idea. You could go to the Dollar store and pick up the battery tea lights. It's already a small LED w/ an ON/OFF switch and battery. Take the casing apart and use it for the tricep laser and his wing lights.

As his joints, perhaps hamster balls. Might be able to find them cheap, used...?

Anyways, here are some more patterns

To scale up templates to fit you divide your height, in inches, by 36 inches (the scale the templates are at currently). That number will be your scale factor (or percentage).

For example. Height= 5'-7" (or 67"), divide 67"/36"=1.86111... or 186%.

Last edited:

a pep file would be great!..with all the buzz (no pun intended) about this costume it was would be awesome to get someone on it. i have no talent in that area but there are 3 threads of people possibly interested.

Oh this looks like fun! Michael's sells that foam much thinner than the bucket project (little Boba Fett project) mentioned earlier, and the cool thing about it is it's already white and comes in a five foot sheet. Good luck to you.

Oh this looks like fun! Michael's sells that foam much thinner than the bucket project (little Boba Fett project) mentioned earlier, and the cool thing about it is it's already white and comes in a five foot sheet. Good luck to you.

yeah i bought some.it is very thin but worth it.

Last edited:

Hey Bro! When I made My sons Boba out of foam I did use a heat gun and then to cool it to keep it shape "are you ready for the simplicity?" I ran cool water from the tap and wala! It keeps shape. That was it, and its still holding strong.

Hope that helps and I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Hey Bro! When I made My sons Boba out of foam I did use a heat gun and then to cool it to keep it shape "are you ready for the simplicity?" I ran cool water from the tap and wala! It keeps shape. That was it, and its still holding strong.

Hope that helps and I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Is that EVA Foam, or rather Foamies?

Added wing PDFs to post #27

(sorry no dims, it would just take more time)

those are great patterns patrick, but where are the dimensions, how do I make those?

The PDF's will print full scale to fit a 36" (914.4 mm) tall child. So any and all Dimensions you need, can be measured straight off the printout.

Here are some ref Photos of the toy

Last edited:

Last but not least...

let me know if you need more, or need something specific

got 1/2 foam camping mats, cut patterns out....hit a wall

I have tried 3 different types of glue to "meld" the foam to itself and nothing is working...

ideas?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back