Built - Adam Savage Toolbox

So you are not against someone making them to sell?

I don't really know the rules with things like that. I know not to recast, but replicating someone's idea for profit?

There's a difference between doing a run and making them to sell. A run implies that costs and labor are covered. Selling implies that profit is being made. Since the design is mine, and copyrighted, I license it under Creative commons. If someone were to make a run, I'd love to purchase a pair. If someone started a business selling these, they'd be a dick.

has anyone made one of these that opens "automatically" to give it a scifi look, like some kind of futuristic weapons case, would look awesome to display a nice Gun prop.

There's a difference between doing a run and making them to sell. A run implies that costs and labor are covered. Selling implies that profit is being made. Since the design is mine, and copyrighted, I license it under Creative commons. If someone were to make a run, I'd love to purchase a pair. If someone started a business selling these, they'd be a dick.

Well then, I think I completely misunderstood this. I’m definitely not here to start a business, and I hadn’t even planned on doing a run or selling them. I’m going to send you a private message, maybe clear things up. But if you say no, I won’t do it.

Hi MrKerr, your box turned out great! I was working on mine this weekend, got the bottom half complete. Can you offer any tips of how you got your curve in the tops? I've got a couple ideas... but nothing that makes me confident... Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @MrKerr, your box turned out great! I was working on mine this weekend, got the bottom half complete. Can you offer any tips of how you got your curve in the tops? I've got a couple ideas... but nothing that makes me confident... Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, I don't get on much. At first I tried just bending it over my leg but that didn't work. I ended up getting a plastic tear drop mallet and hammered it out. It's not the smoothest but you can't really tell.

I've actually slowly been building more and I had a sheet metal shop roll them for me this time.

MRKerr, was that seen on a certain episode of Mythbusters?

Old thread is old, but I was watching episodes from the 2015 marathon. In the ep where Jamie is painted gold, season one, there's a glimpse of both boxes up on their stands with the tops open behind a Golden Jamie.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back