Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 THE 'POSTHUMOUS' UPDATE

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

Really?!?!?

An AbramsTrek Sulu working on a TOS Bridge.?!??!?

...and why would Sulu being building the bridge, he's the helmsman.

I don't get it.

...oh.....awesome build.

Because, Michael, he's the only six inch figure I own and I am using him purely for size reference. ....having said that, I was pretty disappointed to discover that no one ever made a decent quality six inch figure set for the original series. My seven inch set from D.S.T / Art Asylum are awesome but too big......So I may have to crew her up with some more of these JJ Abrams figures before this is over.....:confused

WOW!!! I certainly will and thank you!!!
I will P.M. you sometime Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a hospital appointment both days but I will DEFINITELY get back to you.
Thanks again, UD!

Darren

Not a problem, just tell me what you need first and I'll get it together and post it for you and anyone else to download. If you go here, you may find more that haven't been posted on my blog. There are a lot of different TOS projects in the work.

TOS Trek Files - PaperModelers.com

Dude! That rocks. I love your budget builds. God help us if you win the lottery and have unlimited funds to buy whatever materials you want!

@ Lear60man :lol I would build a full size replica of this and have it as my home theatre! Seriously though, thank you for your comment.

@ Underdog. Thank you!!! That is such a kind offer and I will be taking you up on it as soon as I find the time over the next couple of days. It's been pretty hectic here lately and I am slowly catching up!

Ok, here is the next installment. I managed to mostly construct the turbo lift area. I was amazed at just how difficult this was to get screen accurate! The mouldings around the sliding doors, and the overhead grill support frame were a nightmare. As I said, this is the first ever scratch built model I have done, so I am on a massive learning curve at the moment! Here are some pics...

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Here is one of the turbo lift 'in situ'....
I have drawn and painted one of the tiny screen displays and temp fitted it to see how it looks. I am really pleased with the result as it is not yet backlit. I realise that I have to still tidy up the black surrounds etc.
DSC00579.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

I really appreciate all your comments and critiques. By pointing out the errors or inaccuracies, it makes for a more interesting and screen accurate build.:) I do know, however, that the 6" Sulu figure I am using is from the 2009 movie. Unfortunately, I am unable to find ANY decent 6" figures of the TOS actors. Some of the 6" movie ones aren't too bad but the uniforms are wrong. I am seriously starting to wonder if I shouldn't have maybe followed Glorbes's example and built this to fit my beautiful 7" Art Asylum figures!!! :unsure
So.....I would be interested to hear what you guys think...The 2009 figures are really good quality, and can be purchased for pennies on Ebay and Amazon, and while they are not sculpts of the correct actors, they ARE of the correct characters. It doesn't affect the authenticity of the build and it would at least put some life into the 'bridge set'. I'd be interested to hear your comments on this one...:eek

Here are a couple of pics to finish off with....

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

Wel, that concludes today's installment of the Penny Pincher's modelling diary! :lol I hope you enjoyed it. I will post soon when I have something else to show you all :)

Last edited:

More awesome work!! This along with Glorbes thread are extremely inspiring to me!!
I'm really busy at school at the moment but I can't wait to try out some of these ideas.
This is the deal I got on the figures... all but Kirk look really good to me. Even with shipping to Canada it was still a really good deal I thought. I was actually thinking about throwing in a 2009 Chekov... or especiallly a Trials and Tribbleations O'Brian or Dax on the bridge. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...6M/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1328117689&sr=8-40

More awesome work!! This along with Glorbes thread are extremely inspiring to me!!
I'm really busy at school at the moment but I can't wait to try out some of these ideas.
This is the deal I got on the figures... all but Kirk look really good to me. Even with shipping to Canada it was still a really good deal I thought. I was actually thinking about throwing in a 2009 Chekov... or especiallly a Trials and Tribbleations O'Brian or Dax on the bridge. :)
Amazon.com: Star Trek Original Series Figure Set of 6: Toys & Games

I looked at this VERY web page recently as well! I have Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and a mirror Chekov(the chekovs are rarer than hen's teeth, so I was happy to go with his mirror counterpart). I just need Uhura and Sulu. Bugger me if they are only available in two packs and teamed up with figures I already have. :cry

Last edited:

Chekov's rarity really cheeses me off. I bought the two packs as well, and I have no idea why he hasn't been repacked with another character. Oh well.

This looks amazing, Atlanthia...I'm blown away at how clean and sharp everything is...I CANNOT believe this is your first scratch build of this kind...I've been doing this thing for a few years now, and this build beats the heck out of stuff I'm making now. Are you sure the DST figs don't look okay in this? You should take some pics with them placed in what you have completed...I'd think the scale would be close enough.

To answer your question from my thread, I used a battery box that holds two AA batteries, and has an on/off switch. I used the 'bright white' LED bulbs, and the power required is 3 volts. Hope that helps.

I looked at this very web page recently as well! I have Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and a mirror Chekov(the chekovs are rarer than hen's teeth, so I was happy to go with his mirror counterpart). I just need Uhura and Sulu. Bugger me if they are only available in two packs and teamed up with figures I already have. :cry

If you get doubles of characters, hunt down some other ST figures and swap heads to make more background characters! You could fill every bridge station!

You know, I think I'm going to have to go back and show the work I did and maybe link to some more interiors. I'm itching to do this as well all of a sudden.

You know, I think I'm going to have to go back and show the work I did and maybe link to some more interiors. I'm itching to do this as well all of a sudden.

That would be very cool to see. You also don't by chance have your files in something more mac friendly do you? I don't have anything to open .pdo files.
Thanks!

Hi Glorbes!
Firstly, I would like to say that I have personally read EVERY thread you have started from top to bottom. You are a master craftsman, and your skills are, quite simply, astounding!!!! You mention my using 7" figures, instead of 6" figures. Here are a few pics that hopefully show you just how small a scale I am working to....

Plus, you can easily see just how "too long" his legs are.....
DSC00591.jpg

Kirk's butt won't even sit in the chair!!! :lol
DSC00596.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

Here, under the ceiling of the turbo lift entry way, you can clearly see that the top of his head is higher than the ceiling...If you cant see it, then try these two shots of his head at the same ceiling height....
DSC00595.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

This is really quite a smalll build and believe me when I tell you, I am GUTTED that I started this build at 1/12th scale, when I should have done it at 1/10th scale, like yours.
So........you used NO resistors in your lighting????

Last edited:

That would be very cool to see. You also don't by chance have your files in something more mac friendly do you? I don't have anything to open .pdo files.
Thanks!

Which files do you need and what format do you prefer?

Hi Glorbes!
Firstly, I would like to say that I have personally read EVERY thread you have started from top to bottom. You are a master craftsman, and your skills are, quite simply, astounding!!!! You mention my using 7" figures, instead of 6" figures. Here are a few pics that hopefully show you just how small a scale I am working to....
Bill Shatner's Fat Arse won't even sit in the chair!!! :lol
Plus, you can easily see just how "too long" his legs are.....This is really quite a smalll build and believe me when I tell you, I am GUTTED that I started this build at 1/12th scale, when I should have done it at 1/10th scale, like yours.
So........you used NO resistors in your lighting????

That's one of the reasons I haven't moved forward since that last one. I did the first one as a large scale mock up, then did the bridge in 1/50, 1/25 and finally in 1/12... Haveb't been able to decide where to go from there.

As it being built at 1/12th scale you could always get some figures meant for doll houses and make your own crew. I'm looking forward to see the finished piece. Have you decided whats to be on the big screen as yet ?

As it being built at 1/12th scale you could always get some figures meant for doll houses and make your own crew. I'm looking forward to see the finished piece. Have you decided whats to be on the big screen as yet ?

Well, Alric, I am hoping that 1/12th scale will work out to be exactly the right size for me to use my iPhone as the screen. That way, I can have the choice of picture cards, as Glorbes has done, or MP4 video footage from the original series. We'll see when I get that far. :)

Last edited:

Looking good, Atlanthea!
Your reference to cereal boxes is interesting: when I was a kid, those were my main resource for building my cardboard models. Over the years, it's gotten thinner and flimsier to the point that the flap on the box tops won't even stay closed!

Which files do you need and what format do you prefer?

Anything interior TOS Enterprise, especially the bridge. Do you think it would work for the scale of my diamond select figures (even as background)?
Would pdfs be possible?

Anything interior TOS Enterprise, especially the bridge. Do you think it would work for the scale of my diamond select figures (even as background)?
Would pdfs be possible?

PDF is totally doable. I've got Ron Caudillo's 1/50th and 1/25 TOS bridge with complete graphics. I used to host his files before my website was hacked and have written permission from him to host his files, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've also got his TOS Enterprise, LIS Space POD, and 1/350th untextured TOS Enterprise. I can get those hosted for everyone while I work on some other versions of the Bridge and so on. If the author of this thread doesn't mind I'll post a couple of photos of the work I did five, or six years ago. If anyone has specific requests, please let me know. Sorry, not trying to bogart the thread.

It might be worth starting a new thread, Underdog as it might all get a little messy if posted here. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back