Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

We've talked about lights.

I'm using various sizes of micro drill bits, and just drilling through the paint, not scratching with a blade tip, (as many state the original modelers did).

But I've learned through hi-res photos that there are various sizes of lights on the original DS, and the lights are not formed in singular, linear lines, but more over that the "lines" are often "linear clusters" of lights (two or three light holes abreast, varying sizes). This adds scale, and a more realistiec effect.

Lines of just one light hole across (basically just a simple line of lights) made up of the same size don't work. It just doesn't "feel" right. This is an example of how it looks (this is another builder's AMT comercial model kit, but my own AMT looks identical but with 30% more lights):

DS049.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Rob. Liner lines do not look right. It's easier but not accurate. I think the best thing to do is to start from the dish and work your way outward, just like the painting.

Brad

see you on the 24th for some "hole drilling" :lol...GOD that sound wrong!

But fun nonetheless...

God what a busy weekend. Completely full with "non-fun" stuff. So much so that I even took today off to get caught up on the **** I have to do, opposed to the **** I WANT to do.

Point being I haven't touch my ball since the last section I did.

And yes - that sounded even worse.

Yep, are you coming up? I'd love to meet you! Saturday 24th around 10:00am to about 6pm

Brad

Whoa - hold on there hoss! ;)

Mike (and Brad), we're planning on attacking the holes inside the trench, but not necessarily on the surface. Not going to dive into the surface proper until its all painted a "lined".

But I do sort of want to get the trench out of the way now, since it may get a bit tedious.

Porbably what I'll do is have a small contingent of SoCal RPFers' over on a Saturday or Sunday in November, have a small prop party and drill fest then.

Whoa - hold on there hoss! ;)

Mike (and Brad), we're planning on attacking the holes inside the trench, but not necessarily on the surface. Not going to dive into the surface proper until its all painted a "lined".

Or so you think! A few beers in Rob and I will have him drilling holes in the upper dome! :love

Brad

I am going to be at Brian's this weekend, working on some projects, so I'll be a round the corner anyway. We'll probably stop by and take a look at the progress and give you a bunch of grief, if that's cool.

I am going to be at Brian's this weekend, working on some projects, so I'll be a round the corner anyway. We'll probably stop by and take a look at the progress and give you a bunch of grief, if that's cool.

It is, but give a call first. I have to drag Brad to a soccer game in the afternoon.

PM, email, or call...

By the way this whole project is a fake...

So if we see a news story about someone floating away in a replica Death Star, we'll know what that's all about. ;)

Rob, I've been silently following this thread in amazement. Have you considered getting professional photographs taken once you've finished this beast? Those would be great for the community.

I'd highly recommend hand cranked drills for this. Even the slowest speed on a Dremel can MELT acrylic if not very careful.

Do you have a plan for that?

I'd highly recommend hand cranked drills for this. Even the slowest speed on a Dremel can MELT acrylic if not very careful.

Do you have a plan for that?

That's been the plan all along. In fact I think I even posted a pic of the Dremel drill chuck I'll use months back just to keep you slobs entertianed! :b

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back