Black Widow (Age of Ultron) - WIP

andveryginger

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Because I would really like to sleep the week before DragonCon next year.

And possibly because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Needless to say, after months of working very diligently on my Lady Sif costume, I found it very hard to come home and simply stop. So, I started talking to my husband...who mentioned he might want to do the new version of Hawkeye. And what's the new Hawkeye without a new version of Black Widow? (Currently ignoring rumors of Tasha/Bruce 'ship because, WTH? That's as bad -- and out of left field -- as Seven/Chakotay... ) Needless to say, I'm starting my research and collecting fabric samples now. After the armor build on Sif, I'm ready to go back to spandex now!

Collider had a great high-res version of the Entertainment Weekly image:

avengers-age-of-ultron-scarlett-johansson1_hi_res.jpg

As usual, there's a lot going on here. There are at least three different materials in the suit: a printed/laminated knit, slightly different in design from the Avengers pattern, in that it uses squares and dots; leather (or a leather-like product); and a solid black material used for piping. The elbow and knee pads are actually connected to the suit using elastic and metal slides; I suspect the holster is designed to attach in a similar fashion, though the strap looks like a combination of leather and elastic. I'll also note that it appears the topstitching was done in a blue or gray thread, as opposed to black. My guess is so that it's more visible.

Princess seams along the back, this time in two different materials -- leather and knit.

53eoywt.jpg

They've upped the ante this year, though, finally "electrifying" her suit. If you have perused the Avengers artbook, you know there was a thought then to wiring her suit. (I suspect this is the reason for the ribbon seams/trim.) In the end, it didn't carry beyond her gloves and gauntlets. This time they've added it into the suit, and in some of the latest images, it's clear she (or the stunt double) is wearing a bit of EL-type wire:

body1.png

The pouches have all changed (battery packs, anyone?), as has her belt, belt keepers, and the holster rig. Probably just as well, I was going to have to rework that, anyway.

Her gauntlets (Widow Bites) have also changed -- a bright red cuff of some indeterminate stiff material, with the black wristband and some sort of contraption on the top. I think I have a start on this, but need to do a little tinkering to figure it out.

Looks like the boots get a bit of rework as well, with a battery pack and some armor along the top and/or sides.

Like Hawkeye's new duster, however, I'm wondering if it's not a two-piece ensemble, based off these shots of the body/stunt doubles:

02vvBsM.jpg

Given the amount of detail, this may be the approach I take. It will be easier to construct this in two pieces, especially if I actually do incorporate the EL wire elements. I'm currently looking at two patterns for the top: Jalie 2800 that I modified last year for an "Avengers"-variant Widow, and Simplicity 1361, ostensibly developed for the rodeo crowd:

1361line.jpg

Unlike the Jalie pattern, it's made to be a jacket, has a bit more length to it, and already has the princess lines in place. Why draft an entirely new pattern when I have a starting point already, right? =D

While I know the fabric on the new suit is different, I'm still planning on using the remaining 2+ yards of the material I used for the suit last year. Visually, it will provide a similar pattern, and I will be glad to be back on somewhat familiar ground again after the Sif build (leather and worbla, oh my!). I'll likely try and pair it either with a lightweight lambskin like I used for Sif, or a matte-finish wet look or pleather spandex that will provide a bit more give. And, for more throwback -- the leather overlays on the shoulders will harken back to my BSG duty blues "build" a few years ago. I vaguely remember them being a PITA to line up, but looking awesome once I finished. =D

The one bad thing about the return to spandex? It means I've got about 8 months to make some serious headway toward losing the weight (and inches) I've got left from our three-year Newfoundland adventure. I'm down a few inches already after the past few months and, in 2.5 weeks, I'll be back in Texas, where quick, healthy food is much easier to find. Time to invest in my own TRX system and get back to the pilates studio!

Looks like a massive project but I think the end result will be awesome.

My wonder is if the suit for the stunt doubles is in two pieces to allow them to be comfortable when riding the bikes/fighting etc and for Scarlett's growing tummy. Though I don't think it would take away anything to do it in two pieces and the separation between them seems to be covered by a more hefty belt.

It looks to me that the stitching is in a slate blue colour or navy looking at the top picture rather than a straight grey.

Good luck if you decide to go for it! Your husband and his Hawkeye too!

Thanks, Pyrehn. =)

It will be something of an undertaking. DH and I have been discussing it, and we're thinking about commissioning out his quiver, taking some of the load off of me -- especially since I'll likely be dealing with some electrical circuits and wiring (on which I'm entirely too rusty), and also reworking the patterns to incorporate some small pockets for the EL wire. His Hawkeye duster will be easy, by comparison. I've worked with cordura before!

The two pieces idea was a combination of seeing the stunt doubles, and looking at how her suit is taking more cues from Hawkeye's -- more knee pads, elbow pads, and a much more "tactical" feel. His is also two pieces, joined at the waist by a belt or buckles. I figured two pieces made sense, especially if they were, without SHIELD assistance, probably working with the same Edna Mode for their superhero costumes. =D

DH is hoping to have this stuff together for a "dry run" in May, shortly after the film's release. We'll have to see. It will really depend on who we can commission for the quiver and how quickly they can get to it... on top of being able to get all the pattern mods and sewing done.

Buying all the things! Well... lots of things. Purchased more yardage of the fabric I used for my Avengers version of BW, and I'll have tons of fabric samples waiting on me once we are finally back in the States. Lots of cordura and packcloth samples to sort through, and colors to match.

I've also picked up more than a few patterns to play with. At present, I'm moving forward with the Simplicity riding jacket one, mapping out what seams to move/add/change, as well as trying to think through some of the construction changes that will be necessary. And trying to figure out how to do the clear vinyl pockets in the seams for the EL wire. Ugh.

In my shopping spree this week, I picked up knives for DH and myself. For DH, a dagger to go with his Hawkeye SHIELD uniform/helicarrier invasion costume, as we never added it to the costume previously. It's a $20 cheapie, with a black rubberized grip instead of burgundy diamond wood, but it has the right shape, size, and sheath. For a costume, I'm not so much caring that it's not going to be top quality. There's no way that DH would have wanted me to spend over $300 on a similar Busse knife; we're much more into clays and target shooting than sharp, pointy objects.

I did splurge a bit on a knife for BW, though. Looking at the images of her stunt double riding around in South Korea, it's very clear she's wearing a knife on her utility belt. A bit of digging, and I was able to ID the knife based on the very unique grip: Benchmade 175 Adamas Fixed. It looks like such:

175BT.jpg

At $85 it was quite a bit more than I really wanted to spend, especially since DH has challenged me to maintain a budget for this (and his Hawkeye) build. Given that I'm going to be able to recycle/re-use my Glock holsters from the Avengers variant of BW -- Safariland and expensive in their own right, last year -- I figured I could splurge a little on this. I've also missed out on more than one screen identical item, hemming and hawing over whether or not I wanted to buy it. I figured it was better to go ahead and purchase it before it got hard to find and I lost out again.

I've also been doing quite a bit of research into EL wire. After much internal debate, I've fairly well settled on trying to use a 2.2 - 2.6mm "transparent blue" or whatever the particular vendor calls it when the PVC coating is clear. The concept art, poster, and stunt double pics show some very blue charges coming off her suit, but the high-res images show clear-wrapped cabling with a reddish core. Through all the digging I've done (fairly substantial), I've not found any EL wire that is red when unlit and bright blue when powered; the closest I've seen has been a lavender, and I'm not going with lavender. Somehow, Tash doesn't strike me as a Twilight Sparkle fan. =D

That's the round up for today. Now it's off to kill some pixels in Diablo so I can stop obsessing over details.

Thank you! In many ways, I enjoy the research and sourcing materials more than the sewing... usually because by the time I'm sewing, I'm ready to see my finished project, darn it! =D

Turning my attention to my husband's Hawkeye kit for a few days. Will probably start a thread for it soon, after I have a few things narrowed down. For now, killing a few print cartridges for some reference pics to keep handy while I travel and brainstorm. I'll have to upload all my stuff to GDocs so I'll have it in transit!

Awesome thread and research is outstanding so far. I've been collecting pics of the new Black Widow as well.. why can't they stick with one costume?? *L* Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses!

I'm thinking about working on the same thing, but I'm a little stumped on the textured half of the fabric... For my old Iron Man 2 BW, I used a cheap knit I found because I needed it in about two days, but this time I want to do it right. What's the old fabric you're reusing? Cordura? Have you found in your samples anything else promising?

I forgot from the first poster that I saw that there are boobs cut into the top! Undecided about that... Seems like that might look nice on screen but less so in person. I might go the same way as andveryginger and cut it more... normal. :-D

Howdy, folks... Still working on this one, but at a slower pace. Real life asserted itself pretty violently toward the end of January, and now I've got a few difficult projects I need to finish before the beginning of June. Augh.

brandomack -- Having those kneepads would be pretty awesome, and save me some of the hassle of trying to fab them myself. Course, I'm also still trying to figure how I'm going to get the gauntlets and all done, too. After my Sif armor last year, I'm firmly of the opinion that, while I enjoy the challenge, I'm much more comfortable with sewing than prop and armor builds!

ReginaCosplay -- I've actually ordered quite a bit from Adafruit and started constructing the lengths I'll need. Seeing the action figure and some of the art means I need to rework the lengths for my shoulders, but it's a fairly quick process. I'm still trying to work out how to do the interior pockets in the seams for the EL wire to be removed and replaced, as opposed to sewing it directly into the seams. I have a solution in mind, but haven't had the time to sit down and try it out with some scraps.

suehle -- I'm actually going to modify the first pattern to put the cups in. I'm also going to do an underlining/interlining of powernet, which will help with shaping and smoothing the torso. The cut and the underlining will actually make it more flattering and help reinforce the shape. It's a simple enough modification... not unlike some of the mods I did almost ten years ago for my Abby Whistler jacket. Only slightly more annoying because it's in spandex. =D

ElFazio -- Thank you. One of my favorite parts is doing the research, so I'm only more than happy to share.

And for now... Back to my June projects: 1930 wide-leg trousers, blouse, and appropriate undergarments. Because I have tickets to a speakeasy event, and curvy girls can't always do Gatsby dresses! =D

Hi we may need to chat and share info. I just found your thread and I am also creating this costume for a con may 8th. I have a lot of it fugured out now just need to start building it. I also made the first advengers widow bites and my thread is on here for them but I am changing how I am doing them this time around.

Anybody found a decent back view yet? The couple of angled ones I've found almost seem conflicting about the shapes of the pieces on the back of the jacket.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back