BLACK HOLE screening in L.A. - NEW photos on page two!

Re: BLACK HOLE screening in L.A. - 70mm! Guests! Props!

RUMOR CONTROL - Well, I'm the guy organizing the screening and no one told me about that. There are no plans to discuss the remake. If it comes up, that's cool. (And where did you hear that modeleers???)

I picked this up from Timeslip a couple of years ago. It's a casting off of a plaster bust that was used as a master for the movie -

sentry-robot-black-hole-bh-sentry-wip-jpg-14261d1245714495

- as you can see, it's just the upper torso/head. The head details match a head that is in the Disney Archives. You'll note in the earlier photo of the gray casting that the ears are opened up, thus eliminating the detail that is in the master. I'm not planning on doing anything more than what you see here. The Timeslip casting is an impressive one-piece rotocast, but it's impossible to convert it into a costume.

Here's the best photo I have -
sentry-robot-black-hole-blackholesentry-rpf-1-jpg-10965d1233118122

- from this I was able to get a rough idea of the mesh. Unfortunately, the gauge of mesh in mine is different, but se la vie. I need this thing done this weekend. There are silver painted panels on the back and underneath, as well as the ends of the eye tubes. The eye tubes themselves are mylar. The Paint is rather odd. It looks like a burgundy, but they achieved that look by spraying a red base color down and then overspraying with black. The lighter areas came off as burgundy, the darker areas came off as black. It's tough to replicate, so I'm aiming for the middle. A burgundy base coat that I will airbrush black lines over.

I don't have any other info regarding the costume. Disney Archives claims they don't have a complete Sentry costume, but who knows what's buried in some warehouse. (They do have Vincent, Max, a Humanoid, and I would presume they have Bob.) I can tell you that they wore a red undersuit - but you only see that around the elbows, armpits, and waist.

So, there's the update. Sorry for the rumor control. I just didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Should be a fun night regardless.

Gene

I guess I've asked you about some additional Sentry pics before, haven't I?

Nevertheless, I own the original master mold now, but it's still in restoration. It suffered heavy damage during its long journey from the U.S. to Germany. The packaging wasn't the best either.

As soon as I got it back I'd gladly share some pics of it if you wish.

It's very odd that apparently no complete Sentry has survived the past 31 years. I can't imagine that all costumes were destroyed during filming. So they must be out there somewhere...

It's very odd that apparently no complete Sentry has survived the past 31 years. I can't imagine that all costumes were destroyed during filming. So they must be out there somewhere...

They did survive filming. They just didn't survive past the early 80's. Got tossed in a wood chipper out back I hear.......:eek

Gene

i don't know here's one someone bought years ago , damaged but still original . A member sent several images to me so I could research doing my own sentry sculpt . I guess the waist and arms got tossed in the chipper or lost to time

They did survive filming. They just didn't survive past the early 80's. Got tossed in a wood chipper out back I hear.......:eek

Gene

It's a pity to hear that. Unbelievable how they've dealt with their props and costumes bach then...

Here's a couple of detail shots of the mesh -
attachment.php

attachment.php

Again, this is a real helmet, just unpainted. For some reason, I didn't take a tape measure to the mouth and ears to see if there was any generation shrinkage on my copy.

Speaking of my copy - here's the latest (as of 9:00pm Pacific time) -
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep, that's my bathroom he's in. It's relatively small, so with a small space heater, I can use the room as a paint drying oven. There's also an exhaust fan, so I can vent the fumes. (I do the painting outside.)

The pain was having to basically paint the torso and head separately and then glue them together, and then sand and repaint the seam.

In one long day, I managed to sand, prime, paint the seam and mask the silver sections on the back of the head and the eyes. I really like the Alclad paints. I tried chrome, but it was too shiny. Luckily I had some Duraluminum, which, though glossy, is not a mirror chrome.

Tomorrow, I have to spray the black. If any of y'all come to the Aero tomorrow night, well...... the lobby might have a whiff o' fresh paint.

Gene

Absolutely stunning work!

Can't wait to see the finished Sentry bust.

OK, painting is DONE. All I have left to do is get the mylar in place.

attachment.php

I'm running into the same thing I noticed in photos of the real prop. It looks differently in person than it does in a photo. I'll take better photos with fancy lighting this summer.

Gene

looks great , are you leaving it this way or attempting arms for him

He's going to be arm-less and lower torso-less. I came with a unique solution for the arms. Let me get through this and I'll post more photos........

Gene

Just wanted to thank you for arranging the screening and guests and props. Great job man! A special thank you for a really great job on that sentry, the photo's you posted don't do it justice, in person it's really beautiful. It was great to finally meet someone from the boards in person. Again, thanks for the event. Let me know when your doing a Tron one, that'll be cool.

It was great meeting Wondersquid. We had a good turnout (~225), which was great considering we were up against the Lakers game and an ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER double feature (with Ridley Scott speaking).

I think we talked for about 45 minutes. Which made up for he faded print that we got.
attachment.php

Dr. Danly is on the left. Harrison Ellenshaw is on the right. I'm the dork in the middle.

I still need to take better photos of the Sentry, but here are a couple:
attachment.php

attachment.php

George McGinnis (the robot designer) was on hand and sorta stole the show out in the lobby:
attachment.php

George and Harrison with the Sentry:
attachment.php

Later, George had some quiet time with his creation -
attachment.php

I couldn't resist -
attachment.php

....and I had him autograph the "Danger" tag -
attachment.php

As I mentioned in the intro, some movies stand on their own merits. With other movies, the stories of the making of the movie is more interesting than the final product. I think Black Hole definitely falls into the latter category. If you can get a hold of it, I recommend getting the old Cinefantastique issue on Black hole. It's a good read. (I mentioned it to the audience and a guy came up to me afterwards and told me that he bought an issue off of E-bay during the Q&A.....)

Wondersquid - we did TRON a few years ago and it was standing room only. Not sure when we'll do one again. The next film in this series is next month, and we'll be screening Harryhausen's "First Men in the Moon" with special guest Buzz Aldrin!

Gene

Gene

do you know what George is doing these days , I would like to see if I could get his autograph. I found a company he was working for but not sure now..I have all the cast including Perkins etc.

Gene, you have inspired me to do something similar with a screening I'm having down here... as always, awesome work!

Gene,
That just looks amazing !!!! I think that would just be a dream to own one. The paint job is just outstanding. Great work!!

First the Battlestar movie/exhibit, now this. I really need to get to LA more often!

Steve

Thanks for sharing these great photos with us!

Are you planning to upload more scans of the stunning pre-production artwork of the robots?

I'm also looking forward to see some detailed pictures of your awesome Sentry bust soon as well... :)

Thanks for sharing these great photos with us!

Are you planning to upload more scans of the stunning pre-production artwork of the robots?

That could be tricky as a lot of that imagery isn't mine. I may try to get a retrospective article done for Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeler, but that will depend on Disney.

Lemme see if I can work something out........

Gene

PS - I need to redo the mylar in the Sentry's eyes. It didn't fit well and the doublestick tape has started to peel. Stuff was good for all of 24 hours.........

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back