Baylan Skoll / Shin Hati Dark Jedi Costumes - Ahsoka (Series) Star Wars

Peralton

Hi, everyone.

The trailer for the new Ahsoka Series dropped this morning and I'm already wanting to make the costumes! So here are the reference pictures I have pulled so far.

There are two "dark Jedi" in the trailer, a male and female (probably) humans, played by Ray Stevenson and Ivanna Sakhno. The male is listed in the subtitles as "Baylan Skoll". This is likely an adapted character from the Thrawn book trilogy named Joruus C’Baoth. The other Dark Jedi is named Shin Hati.

Baylan
1680901047136.png

1680901103250.png

1680901139130.png

Close up of the pauldron from a 4k video. It has a lot of texture, like a hammed piece of metal.
BaylanPauldron.jpg

1680901171638.png

1680901239953.png

1680901273587.png

Best shots I could get of the lightsaber
1680901315998.png

1680901369597.png

Closeup of the tunic
1680901446125.png

I like the adapted Jedi look and the fact that he is older. Brings to mind "Beware an old man in a profession where men usually die young."

I'll post Shin's screencaps below...

Last edited:
Shin - Likely the apprentice to Baylan, played by Ivanna Sakhno.

1680902182026.png

1680902384549.png

Shin has some sort of hanging pieces of armor on both hips.
1680902327283.png

Shoulder armor
1680902545347.png

So there you go. I think these costumes are not super complicated, but evocative of the dark side nature of their characters.

I'll add more images as they become available!

Attachments

• 1680902250605.png
    1680902250605.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 281
Thank you for posting these. I'm also looking at making a Baylan Skoll Costume.

Trying to figure out the tunic on Baylan it looks like wool, or wool and linen alternating?

Also, it looks like the edging of the cloak is only around the hood, and the rest is just finished with a simple seam, and Baylan's cloak appears to just be held by a simple black wire hook and loop?

Let's start a discussion about this. Thoughts?

1683910113344.png

Last edited:
Hey there!

Yes, the pilling on the fabric looks like wool, but it's so hard to tell. I pinged the costume designer on Instagram to ask, but I don't expect a reply.

The hood definitely has trim around the edges and a simple clasp.

The edging on the chest chevrons looks to be some sort of serger-made edging and not an applied cord. The spiral look to it may be thread wrapped around the edge.

I'm sure we'll find out a lot more when the show airs, but mock-ups can certainly be made based on these early images.

I enhanced some of the screenshots I captured to see the detail in the costume. As people are saying the armour looks like medieval hammered iron and I love the look of this.

After the sad news of Ray Stevenson's passing, and as a fellow Northern Irish man I have a real urge to put this costume together.

Great info already building up here
Screenshot_20230524-000344.png
Screenshot_20230524-000409.png

“The edging on the chest chevrons looks to be some sort of serger-made edging and not an applied cord. The spiral look to it may be thread wrapped around the edge.”

I was thinking maybe it was a pintuck, but done with a whip stitch.

Also, I found these files and was planning on buying them today…

I'm sure that type of stich would work. For costuming purposes, there's probably a few ways to do it and have it read properly.

Those armor files are great. The one thing I'd point out is that the texture in the model is some sort of stone texture while the screenshots are a hammered metal. I have no idea how difficult it is to make that change in the file, or adjust after, but I think it's a significant difference that should be addressed. I had planned to do the armor out of foam and use a heated metal ball to make the slight indentations.

So I've never cosplayed or made a serious costume before now. I'm going to DragonCon this year and I would really like to cosplay as Baylan Skoll. I purchased the stls for the armor pieces and will have them printed soon.

I'm not sure about the robes/clothing, or the leather parts. I also don't know if putting something like this together in the next two months (two and a half?) is possible. Do any of you have any tips, patterns, fabric recommendations, anything to suggest that could help me in this endeavor?

I've been a fan of Ray since his early days, and was super excited to see him playing a live action character in the Star Wars Universe. I'm hoping to do him justice with this project.

So I've never cosplayed or made a serious costume before now. I'm going to DragonCon this year and I would really like to cosplay as Baylan Skoll. I purchased the stls for the armor pieces and will have them printed soon.

I'm not sure about the robes/clothing, or the leather parts. I also don't know if putting something like this together in the next two months (two and a half?) is possible. Do any of you have any tips, patterns, fabric recommendations, anything to suggest that could help me in this endeavor?

I've been a fan of Ray since his early days, and was super excited to see him playing a live action character in the Star Wars Universe. I'm hoping to do him justice with this project.
You got this! Im trying to get this together before we head to the Galactic Starcrusier at the end of June. It will be close, but I should be finished by then. I got the 3D printed armor back today from the files listed on the site by someone else: Baylan Skoll Armor They look good. Was done on a Anycubic Viper with 1.75 PLA black, but the greebles on the arm guards in clear. The saber looks small when compared to a built one at the Disney Park. But it apparently is the right scale. feels like your holding a large novelty pencil though. :)

I enhanced some of the screenshots I captured to see the detail in the costume. As people are saying the armour looks like medieval hammered iron and I love the look of this.

After the sad news of Ray Stevenson's passing, and as a fellow Northern Irish man I have a real urge to put this costume together.

Great info already building up here
View attachment 1704150View attachment 1704151
Biggest headache at the moment surprised me. Sourcing long enough material for the belt. It looks like maybe it was meant to be a double wrapped single belt that is "tied" off on the one end. I have a 3D print of the buckle and stone to attached. Any thoughts on the belt design here?

Hi, everyone.

The trailer for the new Ahsoka Series dropped this morning and I'm already wanting to make the costumes! So here are the reference pictures I have pulled so far.

There are two "dark Jedi" in the trailer, a male and female (probably) humans, played by Ray Stevenson and Ivanna Sakhno. The male is listed in the subtitles as "Baylan Skoll". This is likely an adapted character from the Thrawn book trilogy named Joruus C’Baoth. The other Dark Jedi is named Shin Hati.

Baylan
View attachment 1688309
View attachment 1688310
View attachment 1688311
Close up of the pauldron from a 4k video. It has a lot of texture, like a hammed piece of metal.
View attachment 1688483
View attachment 1688312
View attachment 1688313
View attachment 1688314
Best shots I could get of the lightsaber
View attachment 1688315
View attachment 1688316
Closeup of the tunic
View attachment 1688317

I like the adapted Jedi look and the fact that he is older. Brings to mind "Beware an old man in a profession where men usually die young."

I'll post Shin's screencaps below...
Cloak or Robe? The photos here look like its simply a cloak with hood. But the Intsagram photo with Rosario looked like he had a robe(with arm sleeves).

I'm sure that type of stich would work. For costuming purposes, there's probably a few ways to do it and have it read properly.

Those armor files are great. The one thing I'd point out is that the texture in the model is some sort of stone texture while the screenshots are a hammered metal. I have no idea how difficult it is to make that change in the file, or adjust after, but I think it's a significant difference that should be addressed. I had planned to do the armor out of foam and use a heated metal ball to make the slight indentations.
I just received the pauldrons back from Anycubic Viper PLA print of these fils from that 3D-Mon page. I think after sanding, priming and some paint it might look more like hammered metal. But no bad. Did fully assemble yet since I need to sand and dry fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 274

It can be done! You just have to be committed to this being your hobby for the next couple of months. The devil is always in the details. Since we don't have more resources, you're going to have to make some educated guesses when it comes to fabric.

It's not unusual to make a costume and then upgrade it over time as new information comes out. Go for it!

Cloak for sure. In the picture from Instagram, his arm is just caught up in the fabric. It isn't a sleeve.
I had the same thoughts that based on some of the trailer stills as he raised his arm. The thing that made me question it, and it could very well be a mistake on the crew's part or maybe he has a robe too (unfortunately, the show airs after our trip), was the IG photo Rosario posted. If you look under his left arm behind Ivanna Sakhno, you can see his arm out and away from his body and the planter(?) both under and behind his shoulder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.32.58 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.32.58 AM.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 689
New Ahsoka trailer with more shots of Baylan and Shin! When I get home I will find a 4k version and upload some more detail shots (unless someone gets to it first).

Well, we finished the costume in time for our Starcruiser voyage. 2 weeks of sewing and sanding and inhaling bondo dust. The hook I made for the 3D printed lightsaber didnt secure it and within the first hour, wife and I were walking and it fell off and landed in front of her boot. Saw and heard the crunch and knew it was over for that thing. Also, wished I had more time to find a better finish. The black I used was Rustoleum Hammered Black and the Matte clear finish. Came out shinier than I was hoping, but didnt have time to correct. I would do Matte Black instead. The belt was a challenge, but figured how to cheat the folded lower belt look. Riveted 2 pieces (short piece with finish facing inward and long piece with finish facing out) Allowed me to loop it. Though I spent 30 mins trying to remove a rivet when I did it incorrectly the first time. Then for the upper belt, I simply used velcro to attach the 3D printed buckle and used riveted posts to open and close belt loop. Since we knew I would be wearing this FL 90+ heat and 70+ humidity for one day, the base layer of the shirt and pants was a gauze like material, then the tabard was a two-piece. Top was a vest, 2nd layer, that was used to attached the pauldrons with a velcro hanging setup for mobility. The top layer was distressed leather sewn vest we got lucky finding at a fabric warehouse. We attached the bottom half of the tabard to the obi fabric under the belts as a velcro'd skirt of sorts. this allowed for mobility but also for fast removal if needed. The gauntlets were the most difficult to keep in place. We tried a fabric forearm wrap with velcro to attach to the gauntlets, but they would sag. The being because the gauntlets were printed as front and back side. Ended up just creating a velcro hinge setup inside the gauntlets. The were also a tad too small for my forearms. But we ran out of time to reprint. If you use the stl files that were linked earlier, I would tell you to upscale to at least 105% if you have slight larger forearms and are 5'9" ish. The 110% scale was a little too large and the printer cut off the section near the elbow joint. I have more photos and info on the making of this if anyone is curious. It was my first time making a costume from scratch. Learned a lot. Like dont try to do this in 2 weeks. let me know

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_3646.png
    IMG_3646.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 957
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 1,051
Well, we finished the costume in time for our Starcruiser voyage. 2 weeks of sewing and sanding and inhaling bondo dust. The hook I made for the 3D printed lightsaber didnt secure it and within the first hour, wife and I were walking and it fell off and landed in front of her boot. Saw and heard the crunch and knew it was over for that thing. Also, wished I had more time to find a better finish. The black I used was Rustoleum Hammered Black and the Matte clear finish. Came out shinier than I was hoping, but didnt have time to correct. I would do Matte Black instead. The belt was a challenge, but figured how to cheat the folded lower belt look. Riveted 2 pieces (short piece with finish facing inward and long piece with finish facing out) Allowed me to loop it. Though I spent 30 mins trying to remove a rivet when I did it incorrectly the first time. Then for the upper belt, I simply used velcro to attach the 3D printed buckle and used riveted posts to open and close belt loop. Since we knew I would be wearing this FL 90+ heat and 70+ humidity for one day, the base layer of the shirt and pants was a gauze like material, then the tabard was a two-piece. Top was a vest, 2nd layer, that was used to attached the pauldrons with a velcro hanging setup for mobility. The top layer was distressed leather sewn vest we got lucky finding at a fabric warehouse. We attached the bottom half of the tabard to the obi fabric under the belts as a velcro'd skirt of sorts. this allowed for mobility but also for fast removal if needed. The gauntlets were the most difficult to keep in place. We tried a fabric forearm wrap with velcro to attach to the gauntlets, but they would sag. The being because the gauntlets were printed as front and back side. Ended up just creating a velcro hinge setup inside the gauntlets. The were also a tad too small for my forearms. But we ran out of time to reprint. If you use the stl files that were linked earlier, I would tell you to upscale to at least 105% if you have slight larger forearms and are 5'9" ish. The 110% scale was a little too large and the printer cut off the section near the elbow joint. I have more photos and info on the making of this if anyone is curious. It was my first time making a costume from scratch. Learned a lot. Like dont try to do this in 2 weeks. let me know
Wow! It turned out fantastic! I think you did great for the belt.

The pauldrons do look really good. Matte for sure would work best.

You may be the first person to complete a Baylan cosplay!!!

Excellent outfit for the starcruiser. Nicely done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back