Batman: The Killing Joke - In theaters July 25th one night only

Watching it tonight, I was excited until I saw this thread! Hopefully Ill like it, but man. I have to see it cause of Conrol and Hamill.

Hoping to hear about impressions and reviews. I'm skipping the theatrical but might purchase this on digital release if it's a homerun.

I've also heard quotes from the SDCC panel where the producers say that it was already controversial, so they added more controversy. Controversy for its own sake is never a good thing.

It says a lot when even that doesn't make the film any less dull.

I just got back from seeing it. It really didn't feel like a Batman flick. It also felt really rushed and ended up abruptly. I was really disappointed along with the rest of the audience. I'd give it a 3/10 and I'm being generous because of Mark Hamil.

I was happy overall, despite the controversial event.
Besides once The Killing Joke story line kicks in you could just put the first Batgirl stuff
into a separate film bucket if you wanted.

I got confused the ending. It just faded out. And did Batman go insane? I'm confused honestly. In the comics, I thought that Batman just chuckled at the joke it was the Joker who was laughing until the end until it stopped. But here, the Joker stops laughing and Batman kept laughing until the fade out. Could someone explain?

I got confused the ending. It just faded out. And did Batman go insane? I'm confused honestly. In the comics, I thought that Batman just chuckled at the joke it was the Joker who was laughing until the end until it stopped. But here, the Joker stops laughing and Batman kept laughing until the fade out. Could someone explain?
I have heard that Alan Moore claims batman killed the Joker at the end of the comic. That's why he stopped laughing. That's why he called it the killing joke.

But no one read it that way

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have heard that Alan Moore claims batman killed the Joker at the end of the comic. That's why he stopped laughing. That's why he called it the killing joke.

But no one read it that way

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I don't clearly remember how it went because I was young and it was disturbing for me so I didn't get to process it all that well. I guess it would make sense if he did kill him.

It was ambiguous as to whether Batman put his hand on the Joker's neck to snap it, or if he was just holding onto him because he was laughing so hard.

Here is the last panel of the comic. The cops are arriving. Gordon had already said, we gotta do this by the book, show him our way is better.
Batman isn't going to snap and kill him in front of cops and Gordon for gawd sake. Sure hint at it maybe so it's something you think perhaps, but
this is like Decker as replicant. It would BREAK the story. And we already had a not lethal neck snapping in that other book Miller wrote nobody remembers. ;)
So that is unlikely too.

What was the laughing together about?....... you are seeing the coin edge on for a brief moment. Get it?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DKuNyrIpi...Od8/s1600/Killing+Joke+framing+sequence+1.jpg

Saw it last night, and I was pretty underwhlemed, I checked my phone a couple times. The beginning had nothing to do with the origin of the joker and felt tacked on as dead weight. I loved Hamill and Conroy together, but that was about it. The part that got the most laughs/attention from the crowd was when joker goes to shoot his gun and says "******* it". Other than that...meh. The animation was pretty bad during most of the scenes, except for a few of the fight scenes.

I enjoyed it enough. Felt way to short though. Did not have any issue with the added story at the beginning, it was honestly more of a payoff than the last half of the movie.

I know this is nitpicking but Batman's cowl ears really bothered me. They looked wonky and just kinda weird at times.

BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-Official-Trailer.jpg

Saw it last night, and I was pretty underwhlemed, I checked my phone a couple times. The beginning had nothing to do with the origin of the joker and felt tacked on as dead weight. I loved Hamill and Conroy together, but that was about it. The part that got the most laughs/attention from the crowd was when joker goes to shoot his gun and says "******* it". Other than that...meh. The animation was pretty bad during most of the scenes, except for a few of the fight scenes.

I don't understand WB falling short with the animation constantly. I've worked on the crappiest budgeted animation projects, that STILL turned out amazing. You just gotta find a studio that gives a crap.

I know they are likely sending it overseas... but I can't believe there isn't a single studio in US or Canada that can't take on that animation and then just send the cleanup overseas. Clearly just posing it out isn't cutting it.

WB has always done this though... Even going way back on animaniacs... they would have in house animators working on the show, then to cut costs they would suddenly send it overseas... and so all nice timing goes out the window...

IN house:

Overseas:

WHY?!?!?!?

WB was ALL ABOUT TOONS!!! Put some quality control on it... this was THE KILLING JOKE!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@NeoRutty - The first video is actually overseas and the second is most likely overseas, too, but probably sub-contracted to a different studio. I could always tell when something they did was from the same animation warehouse/sweatshop or not because of the style and just overall quality. The first video you posted (Countries of the World), the animation was done by TMS Studios, the same studio contracted by WB to do the in-betweens all the way back to B:TAS, and subsequently to Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, and all the WB toons of the time.

To be quite frank, Western, particularly American, in-house animation has been kinda crap ever since they were turned from theatrical shorts to shows for children on television. Budgetary constraints and other blah-blah being the main factors. They've only actually picked up recently because they get sent to overseas animation studios. Since we're talking Batman, just look at TAS' first episode with the Man-Bat, most of the animation is choppy, disjointed, and chunky (mostly done in-house) until the climactic chase with the Man-Bat. That was all TMS Studios. Heart of Ice is an entire episode done by TMS and it's spectacular compared to say, Harlequinade, which was done partially in-house and subcontracted to another studio.

The method these days, and for the last nearly 40 years, has been the animators in the West really only do the keyframes and then ship the boards to an overseas animation company to do the inbetweens with the incidental backgrounds.The only example I know of where the overseas studio had any serious involvement in any modern show was Samurai Jack, animating entirely new segments into the show knowing they had the permission and freedom to do so (I.E. Birth of Evil - Jack's father fighting spider-Aku).

The last genuinely good American animated cartoon I remember, done in-house at an American run and based studio, was Ren and Stimpy at Spumco, and that was using the traditional 2-D cel animation where the characters only moved left to right, and that show was known for going over-budget and turning in late just to do it.

Now, with new programs the make animation easier, companies are looking elsewhere to get their animation done, particularly digitally animated shows. ******, just look at all these Flash-based shows out there. Without paying people to hand-animate in Flash, shows made in Flash will always look like Flash.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back