Return of the Jedi - Back in Theaters

Long live 4K77, 4K80, 4K83!!!!!!

I can see both sides of the debate. On the one hand, Lucas, the artist, had the right to alter his films as he saw fit. On the other, STAR WARS (1977), was created, marketed and released as a finished film. It made history, changed cinema forever, and was enshrined by generations of filmgoers and fans. To say that original version, that history, and that particular STAR WARS experience are now somehow invalid is…disconcerting.

In his “The Special Editions ARE The Movies, Get Over It” video on YouTube, Rick Worley uses films like 2001 (which had 20 minutes cut after its premiere) and THE SHINING (which had an epilogue cut a week after release) as precedent, since the revised versions became the ONLY versions. But this is a false equivalency. Aside from the variant sound mixes, the “A NEW HOPE” title crawl, and the fabled 70mm cut of EMPIRE, the original trilogy remained editorially the same films for two decades. The original cuts were not rare curiosities which were quickly discarded and replaced by altered versions.

The Special Editions have legitimately great changes. Others are debatable. And the hybrid of 1970s production with 1990s/2000s CG is an uneasy mix. All art is the product of its time, and the flaws and limitations of STAR WARS in its original form are a part of its identity and history.

The BLADE RUNNER boxset did it right. Ridley Scott’s Final Cut is probably the best overall version of the film, and is of course his preferred version, but the older cuts are also included, both for completeness, and so people CAN compare, enjoy, and discuss/debate the pros and cons of each.

What’s more important—the artist’s changing whims, or the historical record? After a film escapes and is released to the public, does the public “own” it?

No easy answers, here.

We must also consider the evolution of the storytelling. As far as can be determined, the original story at the time that the first film began shooting went like this:

Obi-Wan and his contemporary, Annikin/Anakin, ran off and became Jedi Knights, with Anakin following Obi-Wan on an idealistic crusade (not necessarily the Clone Wars). Anakin ended up being killed by Kenobi’s student, Darth Vader, which was why Owen was so protective of Luke—he didn’t want Luke to ALSO run off with Obi-Wan and ALSO get killed. And, in this version, after secretly turning evil and leading Jedi into traps and/or killing them, Vader apparently just LEFT Obi-Wan’s tutelage and helped the Empire with its Jedi pogrom, not seeing him again until they met on the Death Star. And Obi-Wan was not in hiding on Tatooine, per se, nor was he looking after Luke for some greater purpose. It may well have been that Mother Skywalker and her family (presumably either Owen or Beru was her sibling, making Luke a blood relative) came from the backwoods planet Tatooine, where no one would bother to look for an ex-Jedi or the son of a dead Jedi.

The volcano duel and the life-support suit apparently only became a thing during filming.

Then, Lucas embraced the concept of Father Vader during the making of EMPIRE. By the time of JEDI, the backstory was revised. Now, Anakin became evil, left without knowing his wife was pregnant, and Obi-Wan tried to lure him back to the good side. After the volcano duel, Anakin became the armored Vader, while Obi-Wan went into hiding, and took baby Luke to Owen Lars, who was now OBI-WAN’s brother. Leia and Mother Skywalker went into hiding on Alderaan, but Mother Skywalker died when Leia was only a few years old (and this is why she has memories of her mother in ROTJ).

And then we get to the prequels, where Lucas stuck with the basic Father Vader backstory concept which had existed circa 1978-83, but tweaked certain details (like Owen being Anakin’s STEPbrother, and Padme dying in childbirth).

The original film in its original form presented a rather clear and simple story, one which changed radically through the added context of the sequels (the real sequels, that is—EMPIRE and JEDI) and prequels. The bulk of the continuity and logical problems in the films are because of the story being revised and rewritten, film by film.

As an aside, I recently got into an online debate with a nutball who wouldn’t hear even a word about preserving the original theatrical cuts. The (current iteration of) the Special Editions is supposedly the final and only version. Lucas is the artist, and defying his will is Just Plain Wrong.

Me, I say ALL iterations of the films have both artistic and historical value. Studying the creative process can be just as important as the storytelling/entertainment portion of the equation. STAR WARS (1977) is a completely different film from the STAR WARS- EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE that’s on DVD/Blu/streaming, both because of its literally being altered, and because of the altered story context the other five films give it.

And I think people of the present and the future deserve to be able to study each iteration so they can enjoy, debate, and understand both the art itself and its evolution.
Basically, the story was sculpted and resculpted with each coming movie.

That was so fun! The theater was sold out.

IMG_0465.jpeg

We must also consider the evolution of the storytelling. As far as can be determined, the original story at the time that the first film began shooting went like this:

Obi-Wan and his contemporary, Annikin/Anakin, ran off and became Jedi Knights, with Anakin following Obi-Wan on an idealistic crusade (not necessarily the Clone Wars). Anakin ended up being killed by Kenobi’s student, Darth Vader, which was why Owen was so protective of Luke—he didn’t want Luke to ALSO run off with Obi-Wan and ALSO get killed. And, in this version, after secretly turning evil and leading Jedi into traps and/or killing them, Vader apparently just LEFT Obi-Wan’s tutelage and helped the Empire with its Jedi pogrom, not seeing him again until they met on the Death Star. And Obi-Wan was not in hiding on Tatooine, per se, nor was he looking after Luke for some greater purpose. It may well have been that Mother Skywalker and her family (presumably either Owen or Beru was her sibling, making Luke a blood relative) came from the backwoods planet Tatooine, where no one would bother to look for an ex-Jedi or the son of a dead Jedi.

The volcano duel and the life-support suit apparently only became a thing during filming.

Then, Lucas embraced the concept of Father Vader during the making of EMPIRE. By the time of JEDI, the backstory was revised. Now, Anakin became evil, left without knowing his wife was pregnant, and Obi-Wan tried to lure him back to the good side. After the volcano duel, Anakin became the armored Vader, while Obi-Wan went into hiding, and took baby Luke to Owen Lars, who was now OBI-WAN’s brother. Leia and Mother Skywalker went into hiding on Alderaan, but Mother Skywalker died when Leia was only a few years old (and this is why she has memories of her mother in ROTJ).

And then we get to the prequels, where Lucas stuck with the basic Father Vader backstory concept which had existed circa 1978-83, but tweaked certain details (like Owen being Anakin’s STEPbrother, and Padme dying in childbirth).

The original film in its original form presented a rather clear and simple story, one which changed radically through the added context of the sequels (the real sequels, that is—EMPIRE and JEDI) and prequels. The bulk of the continuity and logical problems in the films are because of the story being revised and rewritten, film by film.

As an aside, I recently got into an online debate with a nutball who wouldn’t hear even a word about preserving the original theatrical cuts. The (current iteration of) the Special Editions is supposedly the final and only version. Lucas is the artist, and defying his will is Just Plain Wrong.

Me, I say ALL iterations of the films have both artistic and historical value. Studying the creative process can be just as important as the storytelling/entertainment portion of the equation. STAR WARS (1977) is a completely different film from the STAR WARS- EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE that’s on DVD/Blu/streaming, both because of its literally being altered, and because of the altered story context the other five films give it.

And I think people of the present and the future deserve to be able to study each iteration so they can enjoy, debate, and understand both the art itself and its evolution.

Of course, you're correct. And we are pontificating about a family drama that NEVER REALLY HAPPENED :)

If Star Wars were a stand alone film, with no prequels or sequels, no "I am your father" moment, no "You have a twin sister" moment, then the best we can say is that:

1) Owen and Beru cared for and reared Luke from early childhood (Possibility: unless we are to assume that Luke's mother had also lived on Tatooine but died when Luke was young, but he did have memories of her. At her passing, Luke went to live with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru)
2) Luke never knew his father, or at least only had the slightest of memories
3) Luke's mother was never mentioned (see #1)
4) Owen lied to Luke about his father's occupation, and never gave him the details of his father's death
5) Owen and Beru KNEW Luke's father personally at some point, per the conversation:
Aunt Beru : Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him.
Uncle Owen : That's what I'm afraid of.

5) Owen did not care for Obi-Wan, calling him a crazy old wizard, and lied to Luke about Obi-Wan (saying he died about the same time as Luke's father). It was Obi-Wan who revealed to Luke RE: Owen's concern about traipsing across the galaxy on some damn fool idealistic crusade, but Owen did NOT tell Luke himself. At some point, Obi-wan wanted to bestow the Graflex saber to Luke, but Owen "wouldn't allow it"
6) Obi-Wan MAY have sensed that the Lars were in danger, but if so did not attempt to help them, as protecting the droids was paramount. He warned Luke not to run back to his family farm, it was too dangerous. When Luke returned, Obi-wan IMMEDIATELY knew what had happened to Owen and Beru.

Basically, the story was sculpted and resculpted with each coming movie.

Yep. And that’s by not means a bad thing. I find it way more interesting to study and debate that evolution than to just pretend that it was somehow all planned out from the very start in 1973, and that the (current) “final” iteration is now the only valid one.

It seems abundantly clear that STAR WARS was planned as a complete, self-contained movie (with room for potential sequels, which SPLINTER OF THR MIND’S EYE was planned to be the first of), with no Father Vader and no Sister Leia, or any of the other universe-shrinking retcons that came later. Once it became a megahit, however, Lucas’ plans became more grandiose. He went from 12 movies, to nine movies, to being burned out after only three, and then did three more nearly 20 years later.

This whole thing reminds me just how annoying the hardcore Lucas cultists are. They can actually be just as annoying as the Disney Trilogy fanatics. Not to say that I’m on some crusade to bash Lucas or “rip his art out of his hands” (which is what I was told, recently) by supporting and studying the earlier cuts of the films. I think there’s a sane middleground, and that’s where I try to live. While it’s an interesting thought experiment to pretend that the six (and only six) existing STAR WARS films tell a compete and coherent narrative, they’re actually an inconsistent patchwork quilt which reflects 30 years of Lucas’ evolution as both an artist and a person, for good and for ill.

Last edited:
Of course, you're correct. And we are pontificating about a family drama that NEVER REALLY HAPPENED :)

If Star Wars were a stand alone film, with no prequels or sequels, no "I am your father" moment, no "You have a twin sister" moment, then the best we can say is that:

1) Owen and Beru cared for and reared Luke from early childhood (Possibility: unless we are to assume that Luke's mother had also lived on Tatooine but died when Luke was young, but he did have memories of her. At her passing, Luke went to live with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru)
2) Luke never knew his father, or at least only had the slightest of memories
3) Luke's mother was never mentioned (see #1)
4) Owen lied to Luke about his father's occupation, and never gave him the details of his father's death
5) Owen and Beru KNEW Luke's father personally at some point, per the conversation:
Aunt Beru : Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him.
Uncle Owen : That's what I'm afraid of.

5) Owen did not care for Obi-Wan, calling him a crazy old wizard, and lied to Luke about Obi-Wan (saying he died about the same time as Luke's father). It was Obi-Wan who revealed to Luke RE: Owen's concern about traipsing across the galaxy on some damn fool idealistic crusade, but Owen did NOT tell Luke himself. At some point, Obi-wan wanted to bestow the Graflex saber to Luke, but Owen "wouldn't allow it"
6) Obi-Wan MAY have sensed that the Lars were in danger, but if so did not attempt to help them, as protecting the droids was paramount. He warned Luke not to run back to his family farm, it was too dangerous. When Luke returned, Obi-wan IMMEDIATELY knew what had happened to Owen and Beru.

Exactly. The film actually gives all the clues needed to piece together the basic story. It’s only because of what came later that people read things into it which were not originally there.

It’s all a perceptual thing. Owen originally feared Luke becoming like his father because he feared for his safety, not because Anakin had become Vader. Obi-Wan originally hesitated to tell Luke the painful truth about his father’s death, not because he was about to lie to him by saying that Vader killed Anakin. But both of those moments gain huge subtext because of the Father Vader retcon in the next film, and so people now can’t help but watch the first film with that in mind.

A big downside to this is the effect it had on Kenobi’s character. The original film was straightforward—he ran into his dead friend’s son, and got pulled out of retirement and into the Rebels’ effort to destroy the Death Star. The retcons basically turned him into a manipulative liar who was waiting for Luke to come of age so he could train Luke to kill his own father. And that’s why the “certain point of view” bit in JEDI is so infamous—because it’s a pretty thin justification for that huge retcon.

And, of course, the Force powers were all ramped up from film to film. Your idea of Obi-Wan potentially sensing (and ignoring, which makes him even more morally-dubious) the Lars’ plight is something which would only occur in hindsight, after seeing the other films. The Force powers of the first film are far more limited. Obi-Wan only senses the destruction of Alderaan because so MANY people died. The only instance of telekinesis (Vader levitating a drinking cup) was left out of the final version of the film. And, if Force users are so powerful, why didn’t Vader just nudge Luke’s X-Wing into the side of the Death Star trench? Problem solved.

And the film most definitely indicates that Anakin knew Owen and Beru personally, and for more than a day or two, as well as that either Owen or Beru was a blood relative of one of Luke’s parents. But for the different surnames, you get the impression that Anakin and Owen were brothers who disagreed on a lot.

"Fit him with a restraining bolt and send him back up to His Majesty's main audience chamber."
They never fitted the bolt.

I believe the EU stepped around this error by saying it was a different model of bolt, installed internally, rather than the clunky external bolts seen in the first film.

That was so fun! The theater was sold out.

View attachment 1697997
Just for some fun, made it more official like and used the real ones wording.
I like how the camera captured the lighting off the screen and made it look more colorful, so totally kept that in.
And the big shoe on the back of the seat, guessing thats yours.....yep, the complete theater experience.

UnofficialRotJposter.jpg

Just for some fun, made it more official like and used the real ones wording.
I like how the camera captured the lighting off the screen and made it look more colorful, so totally kept that in.
And the big shoe on the back of the seat, guessing thats yours.....yep, the complete theater experience.
HA… that is my shoe. I had my leg crossed so only one is showing. I wish I noticed that too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back