Batman arkham origins WIP

Re: Batman arkham origins WIP - pep unfolder needed !

thanks.
Doing a lot of slow ground work, tracing, cutting, gluing and repeat, not much to show, but I started working on the gloves too, used a pair of black leather glove I bought for the AA costume I never got to finish. I tighten them up on the forearm part, quite messily but doesn't matter, since there is these kind of leather strips all around the forearm part that will hide my gluing work.
pre-tightening
hwmd.jpg

bduu.jpg

post-tightening with black strips, that are currently being coated in leather.
y3vp.jpg

I also tried to see how the pieces fitted together on the compression shirt I just got in the mail, but my duct tape mannequin's proportion are way too weird, so the result is "meh". I'll use my real mannequin that's currently displaying my TDK suit later, or myself, but hot glue is hot !
wlw1.jpg

And finally I finished the gauntlets, files are in the post to be unfold by whoever is willing to. Fins are in my 3D printing order coming next week, with the belt buckle.
gauntletguard_pep.obj gauntlets .obj file

Following the previous post, I'm done with one glove, minus knuckle pieces and hand plate.
78e7.png
vivx.jpg

js3r.jpg

and a quick test with the rest of one arm so far :
jkew.jpg

c11m.jpg

The glove should ride a bit higher, I couldn't fit correctly the mannequin's hand in the glove (and he has freakishly long arms anyway...)

Ah man I hate you, just the other day I started on an Origins batsuit of my own thinking i would be the only one!

Your suit is coming along very nicely and are taking a different approach from me in some areas, but i too am using foam to make my armour.

Cant wait to see you start the belt and gauntlets ( i have rough free hand foam gauntlets made :) )

Keep up the good work

Nice ! Maybe we can exchanges tips and advice ! I have a bunch of templates to upload, I'm just a bit busy right now with the exams but will do once I have more time.
For the gauntlets, I wanted to make them in foam too, but ultimately I wanted something more durable, so here I am pepping my own unfold of my model while studying, the unfold is pretty terrible but that will do as a base, it will need a lot of resin and bondo anyway...
The belt buckle should be here wednesday, so that got me pretty excited too.

Hey phantom detective your suit looks great, you got a build thread?

Teragon you build is far more involved and complex compared to mine....

Mine is gonna be EVA foam everything besides cape (shower curtains) and cowl (cardboard pep with resin)

The belt tubes will most likely be pvc pipe. All very simple :)

I too made my own templates and have cut out a few bits from foam for a rough test fit.

So far ive done neck, upper arm, shoulder, thigh, gauntlet, pep cowl.

As for the texture im scoring a crisscross square pattern (like a chess board) with a soldering iron.

Not sure what colour to go for, im kinda trmpted to keep it as bare foam...

Cant wait to see your 3D prints!

well here they are :
nuct.jpg

64pl.JPG

qgft.jpg

9uhz.jpg

Fits my plastic centre release perfectly, but need some clean up. Nothing Acetone can't solve. The plan is to cut the urethane belt in the fourth pic in half, attach both ends on each side of the bat buckle and leave the original belt buckle in the back, so it's adaptable. And paint all of that in the proper colour of course, which is a dark silver.

as6h.jpg

Here is a fin and what I call "gauntlet detail" on a half pepped gauntlet of my own unfold.

Meathead, if you decide you want to paint it, I suggest using grey plastidip, and leave it like this, the grey is good and the texture rubbery, so it's perfect ! But I know plastidip isn't cheap on our side of the globe unfortunately.

Last edited:

That belt buckle is super clean, way better than my foam bodge job is gonna be!

Ive looked into plasti dip and it is very expensive O_O but to be fair you dont need primer or clear coat and i recon 1 can (2max) will do it.

Ive got some spray paint i gonna see how it holds up on bare foam

What sort of scale you going for? One thing im trying to do is make my costume big and powerful looking

Careful, from your profile pic I assume it's not your first time with foam, but just in case : bare foam and spray paint usually don't mix well at all.

I scaled all the parts to fit me exactly, and they will be mounted on a compression shirt, so except for the thickness of the foam, nothing else on the suit should really make me bigger. I'm counting on my own height and weight for that, I'm 6'1 barefoot, so over 6'2 in boots and I've been seriously working out and bulking up since July, not specifically for this but it motivates me too. Target is 190 lbs, I'm at 180 right now and started at 170. Granted the Bat is supposed to be well over 200 lbs, but I want to still be able to fit my clothes :lol

My Iron Man suit is cardboard... This is my first foam build!

I'll defo test paint on a piece of scrap just to be sure.

I am 6'1 200lbs, but still no where near the man-beast physique of Batman from the game (no way is he 210lbs at that size considering Schwarzenegger was 6'2 240lbs back in the day!)

So im trying to pad my suit out a bit to make Batman look like a proper ass kicker :p

To the OP

you making any gadgets to go with the suit? Im thinking or doing a batarang and grapple gun myself :)

forearm protection BAO - Download - 4shared - Marko Hilgenreiner

Foam deployed forearm protection has not been scaled
Thank you, will add to the first post this weekend !

Meathead, I can almost guarantee the foam will melt if you spray paint it directly. You need to seal it first, easiest way is by brushing a couple of coats of PVA glue first, then spray paint it. Or use plasti-dip, this works on bare foam and you can paint whatever colour you want over it.

I agree a bit of padding on the shoulders/biceps/legs area could help with the impossible proportions of the game, but I'll leave it like this for now.
I don't plan to make gadgets myself, Jawafive here is already making the whole arsenal from arkham city, bought a batarang from him and will buy a grapnel gun in september. He also has the cryptograph sequencer, explosive gel gun, sonic grenade, smoke pellets... Everything you need ! Over time I'll probably complete the arsenal, just gotta find place on the belt !

Finally one with the exams, I've been slowly covering every pieces in leather or fabric while prepping the belt buckle for casting and resining one gauntlet. I think I can actually finish the top before next week, but I'm still waiting my pants to do the bottom. Plus I need foam mats, and the store doesn't have any right now...
Anyway here is a sneak :
0kjc.jpg

I'm also gathering the templates to post them, but the cleaning lady "cleaned" the room I was working in and I've been retrieving stuff here and there for the past few days, so it's going to take some time :D

That's it! I gotta get started on one of these! Very nice man! Looking forward to seeing more progress, and those templates!

Dude this looks sick! I cant wait for the suit to be fully done. Also cant wait for the game, keep up the good work

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back