Batman arkham origins WIP

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm surprised to see so few thread about the bat from the upcoming Arkham game, and I really dig the new design and cowl (separate neck !).
I don't have a huge budget for this one, it's just a side project while I'm waiting on some stuff, must of it will be in Coofunkcurly's cowl and the few stuff I'll have to 3D print, the rest shouldn't cost much. In fact I got the idea for the suit last night and couldn't get it off my mind, so I had to test it :

I had some grey textured fabric lying around, don't remember why I bought it, but I thought it would work well for this, even if it's not 100% accurate to the flat hexagon pattern seen in the screen shot. I also had some 10mm foam, hot glue gun, spray glue and I bought some leather like material, rubber cord and rivets for less than 10$.
rsg3.jpg

pi7f.jpg

26qm.jpg

For the test piece, I chose the mid section abs, as it was the small pieces, therefor easier and not much of a loss of material if it failed
m0r0.png
dygm.png

I roughly cut the shapes out of the foam and carved them to be slightly more organic, then glued them to some heavy grain paper.
e4kb.jpg

Then I sprayed some glue all over this, and simply covered it with the fabric, leaving some creases like the model, glued the rubber cord or whatever it is all around.
I then used the leathery band to simulate the black thing you can see on the right and left of the abs, with the rivets, simply glue too and added the rivets.
Finally I trimmed the remaining visible grey paper, and reattached the two abs together by the middle on another piece of the black leathery material.
q49d.jpg

For a quick test piece, despite the messy cuts and hot glue, I like the result, so I think I'll definitely go forward with this method, and start for good cleanly. I do with the rubber cord was more grey like the fabric, but I could always paint it I suppose.

I'll do all the armoured grey pieces with this method and bind them together with some black straps, D rings and some leathery material, the shin guard with the traditional foam method, the belt itself I'm still looking, probably some thick vinyl, but the buckle and accessories will be 3D printed. Cape will be recycled from an old TDK cape. The undersuit will be probably a long sleeves tight fit t-shirt with the few details like ribbing and leather patches glued/sewn and leather pants, modded to shorts since the leather is only visible in the briefs area, and I'll ba able to reuse what I cut for the leather patches on the t-shirt.
The remaining pieces are the gauntlets, I don't know exactly how I'll do those, they seem a bit too complicated for a foam build, but too big to be 3D printed, so that will need some time to think on.
Let me know what you think !

edit : forgot an important piece ! The bat symbol, either 3D printed then cast in urethane or cut in acrylic and cast in urethane. Probably the later, more cost effective.

- templates chest/abs/shoulders/arms : Batman AO templates.zip Careful, shoulders are not symmetrical, the longer side goes to the front, where the straps go to the chest. To be printed at 100% scale. They are also adapted to fit me, at 6'1 and 185 lbs, depending on your size and frame, I strongly advice making sure they fit before cutting the pieces in foam !

- Bat symbol vectorial (svg) : bat_logo_AO.svg scaled at about 14" by 5,1" or 35x13cm.

These are for personal use only, print it at home or have it printed for you, but I don't want to see them popping up it the JY or anywhere else ! Thank you for understanding.
- Belt accessories, pocket and tube (stl) : belt accessories.zip scaled at +/- 3x2,7x0,8 inches or 8x7x2 cm for the pocket, 4x1,5x1,5 inches or 10x4x4 cm for the tube.

- Belt buckle (stl) : belt buckle.zip, 3x4x0.4" or 8x10x1cm

-Shin pep, unfold by Streetsoul :
http://www.4shared.com/file/Wm8Z49CK/shin_boot_unfold_modeled_by_te.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/V2NQYO6s/shin_unfold_modeled_by_teragon.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/40ITIB7-/shin_knee_unfold_modeled_by_te.html
3D file
http://cl.ly/2R0k3A1f1o0L

-Forearm foam pep, unfold by Hilgenreiner :
forearm protection BAO - Download - 4shared - Marko Hilgenreiner
-Forearm V2, more accurate, modified by Crimson713
http://www.4shared.com/file/kLmLgOph/GAUNT.html

-Arkham Asylum/City style cowl (origins is a bit different), by JFCustoms
http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/Arkham cowl.pdo

Last edited:
alright, managed to make good templates based on both the game model and my own proportions, that are a bit more modest than this colossal mountain of muscles, and cut them out of the foam. The biceps may be a bit too small though, But I don't want them to collide with the shoulder nor the forearm when you move, and my biceps are not exactly the same size as the game model ! we'll see how it turns out once heat shaped and put in place for a test tomorrow.
x4ji.jpg

txn1.jpg

(lines on the pieces are there to guide me when I'll sand the edges smooth, so I don't go overboard)
By the way, if anybody is interested in the templates, let me know and I'll scan and post them here. I'll try to share as much as I can on this build, including the 3D models I'm about to make for the belt and pouches. But first I need to buy a new computer mouse, seems like my old one ran away :lol
I'll also be using the other side of the fabric, less textured and more shiny, it's a closer match. I'll still use the textured side on a few spots though.

Looks interesting so far, once you've heat shaped the foam to fit your body I'm sure it will look Really awesome, can't wait for an update.

Good start but I would dye the fabric darker grey, more like charcoal with black accents because now it looks like a light beige or light grey.

thanks everybody.
Blackkaos, I think it's more the lightning and picture, it's actually a middle grey, appears lighter or darker depending on the lightning and environment it's in :
here is it next to a very light grey/beige cap that I found abandoned in a drawer in low light condition (middle of the night here)
flash
pfwt.jpg

no flash
leg7.jpg

and next to the charcoal grey wall of my bedroom, which doesn't appear charcoal at all, but I swear it is !
avje.jpg

It's all in the lighting. However it's indeed not very accurate in colour or texture compared to the game model, but like I said, it's recycling !

By the way, I bought a bunch of cheap stuff off ebay this afternoon, buckles for the belt, (faux) leather pants, compression t-shirt all under 30$. I love internet.

this is exactly what I want to do (have coofunk's cowl on the way as well)

Do you happen to remember where you got the grey fabric?

Thanks !
I got the fabric from a local store, but maybe the ship to international destinations too. Here is a link : Fabric online shop selling fabric in Belgium and France - Les tissus du chien vert - Les Tissus du Chien Vert, you can find the one I use in the furnishing fabric section, it's the non-wovent material, in grey.
The rivets are actually eyelets, the metallic o-ring things you can find on shoes through which laces go, it's the only thing I had in the sewing box, but I'll see tomorrow at the craft store if they don't have something a bit more accurate, and bigger D rings. I don't even think it's D rings on the game model actually, more of a round corner trapezoid shape.

No pics today, but I heat shaped every pieces and remade the biceps/triceps pieces as well, they were indeed a bit too small, and I'm still working hard on adding a bit more muscle mass, so that was really needed, and carved them to have rounder edges.
Tomorrow I'll go buy some supplies, including foamies, I thought it would be better as the base for each muscle piece to be glued on, the paper I was planning to use won't fit well the curves of the armour pieces.
I'm also trying to draw the templates for the side and back pieces, but good screenshots and pics of his back and side are hard to find. By the way, here is a question for you guys :
f0ts.png
q3fn.png

Do you think the side piece in red in the pics are black leather, or grey material like the abs ? The left pic seems to be leather, and the three small side pieces above in grey material but the right pic looks like its all grey material :confused On both pics it doesn't have as much relief as the other pieces of armour anyway, that's why I though it was only patches of leather at first, but now I'm confused...

Also added in the first post the templates for the chest/abs/shoulders/arms.

I think the obliques sections are made of (cgi) leather and it would make sense as well, twisting and crunching of the torso would require flexibility in these sections. Keep up the good work.

thanks everybody.
Blackkaos, I think it's more the lightning and picture, it's actually a middle grey, appears lighter or darker depending on the lightning and environment it's in :
here is it next to a very light grey/beige cap that I found abandoned in a drawer in low light condition (middle of the night here)
flash
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/8504/pfwt.jpg
no flash
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/7578/leg7.jpg
and next to the charcoal grey wall of my bedroom, which doesn't appear charcoal at all, but I swear it is !
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/8041/avje.jpg
It's all in the lighting. However it's indeed not very accurate in colour or texture compared to the game model, but like I said, it's recycling !

By the way, I bought a bunch of cheap stuff off ebay this afternoon, buckles for the belt, (faux) leather pants, compression t-shirt all under 30$. I love internet.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I definitely like the color now and I really like the stitching of the fabric. Keep up the good work.

Well, got the supplies I needed, although I suspect I might be short on rivets, there must be something like 40 of them at least, that I can see ! Should be enough to keep me busy tomorrow. I also gave a shot at the Bat symbol (vector file in first post) :

q2p.png

1369.png

c8ka.png

Was a bit weird, given my two reference pics above are slightly deferent. The ears are a bit longer longer than the model, but it didn't bother me simply because I need it to fit like the model : the tail at the bottom of the chest and head right under cape holder, while the wings have a bit of space on the sides. Would have been too large/not tall enough with the game proportions, he has a very large chest !

and starting the belt 3D model tonight.

Last edited:
Laser cut in acrylic, then mold and cast in vytaflex 40. Never done it before, so I hope it will turn good !

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back