Bandai release schedule

Hunk a Junk,.....I have images of your Falcon saved,....but you should bump your thread or put a link here

I wouldn't know where to start with the curvature

J

I haven't had any time to put the finishing touches on this puppy, but hopefully soon. There are things I'd do differently, like cut away all the landing gear boxes to make them level. I also need to re-level the cockpit... always something. I'm really happy with the hull curve, however. The one thing almost every model and drawing of the Falcon gets wrong (IMHO) is that the hull is made to look like a hockey puck instead of a hamburger. A curved hull just adds that "Falcon-ness" to it. I hope TFA's digital model gets it right.
Hunk Falcon.jpg
Hunk Falcon 2.jpg
Hunk Falcon 3.jpg
Hunk Falcon 4.jpg

I wouldn't know where to start with the curvature

Once you cut away the jaw boxes and docking ring boxes, the hull can flex just enough to get the right curve. I made pie wedge styrene ribs and glued & clamped them until the hull was right. That was the easy part. The boxes then need to be trimmed and sanded to match the new hull curve before they can be glued back in place. That sucked. The new curve throws everything off, which is why I still need to re-level the cockpit tube. The higher hull makes the tube angle downward slightly (and I see it every time I look at it! Argh!) I also put spacers in the center to increase the hull height (from gun port to gun port) by about an inch while reducing the sidewall height by about an 1/8th of an inch. It's all been worth it because the proportions now look "right" to the 5-footer. It's all do-able, but it takes a lot of trimming, sanding and checking to get it right.

When Bandai does the Falcon, I hope they finally do the 5-footer justice.

Last edited:
Thanks Hunk a Junk,.....I love Marko's (Rockvoice) FM alterations to correct the shape to the 32",....but I prefer yours because it looks like the Millennium Falcon

I know how things get thrown off once you start cutting,.....I had loads of problems with my MPC,....I'm too chicken to attempt any hull mods to my WIP FM,....I do still have one new in its box,.....perhaps maybe I'll have a go on it

....if you don't mind I'll maybe bump my thread of the Mandible surgery and put images of Marko's & yours in it along with Maruska's CG dimensions of the 32",.....to show what went wrong with FM's research

......If Bandai make a big announcement, perhaps I'll never need to finish my FM 72......or even start the other

J

Just received my two Bandai Y-wing kits!

Comparing it (unassembled) to my FM kit, it looks like the proportions are mainly the same, with the main exception being the engines on the Bandai kit are shorter. The long 'T' rods that run from the front of the engine to the hoops with the vectoring veins are several millimeters shorter.

EDIT: The proportions are not mainly the same, I was wrong. See new post on next page.

A very nice kit with lots of tiny detail!

Last edited:
In
Just received my two Bandai Y-wing kits!

Comparing it (unassembled) to my FM kit, it looks like the proportions are mainly the same, with the main exception being the engines on the Bandai kit are shorter. The long 'T' rods that run from the front of the engine to the hoops with the vectoring veins are several millimeters shorter.

A very nice kit with lots of tiny detail!
Hi edge could you measure the length and width of 8rad detail on the side of the neck, and also the length and width of the actuators on the front of the engines please, in mm if possible , thank you 01_kindlephoto-4523439.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 81
Provided for entertainment purposes only (please don't base anything on them):

8Rad: 26mm x 7mm
Actuator 21mm x 4mm

In
Hi edge could you measure the length and width of 8rad detail on the side of the neck, and also the length and width of the actuators on the front of the engines please, in mm if possible , thank you View attachment 508715

It was pointed out on a different forum that I was wrong about the proportions being about the same. :$

I have snapped some parts together and it turns out the body (not counting the head/cockpit area) is about 9cm long (also not including the loops that stick out past the back plate).
The cockpit/head is a little shorter on the Bandai kit with the canopy being larger than the FM kit.

Edit: Here is a quick comparison of the FM (left) and the Bandai. Please excuse the garbage quality:

Y-wing_Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks edge , I'm actually looking for the measurement of the side detail(seen here in centre of attached image) and actuators by themselves , I have an idea that may work if these are the correct scale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 208
Since Bandai probably didn't get the license for TFA, I know some may be disappointed, but a positive outlook is that they will continue to make the original trilogy line with models that never have been adequately released. Despite the hubbub regarding the new movie I am still excited about the next Bandai release. Let Revell make their money on TFA. In the future I'm sure Bandai will do it right.

TazMan2000

Since Bandai probably didn't get the license for TFA, I know some may be disappointed, but a positive outlook is that they will continue to make the original trilogy line with models that never have been adequately released. Despite the hubbub regarding the new movie I am still excited about the next Bandai release. Let Revell make their money on TFA. In the future I'm sure Bandai will do it right.

TazMan2000

....but as you say,....if it is true,....although disappointing,....there is still something to be happy about

J

Last edited by a moderator:

TazMan2000

What makes you think that? Don't get me wrong, I would be as pleased as Punch, if true.

Well, if Bandai DIDN'T get the TFA license, we will be spared from some of those new awful vehicles like the first order snowspeeder.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back