Bandai release schedule

Yeah, for the most part I like the Fine Molds stuff better in terms of panel lines and in scale details. Sometimes the "finer" details parts on Bandai things are a little thicker in order to support the "snap" build and their panel lines tend to be overdone.

However, Bandai wins out in accuracy*, figures, display bases (although looks like they are stopping to include them) as well being able to build alternate configurations (for example the different parts for Red 3/Red5 and the glass vs clear canopies) or including some cool cutaway type details (like being able to display under the engine cans/nose can etc...)

If you paint your models, then the over-engineered process to achieve different panels is just extra build time and overhead for Bandai models and causes unnecessary gaps in some places. On the other hand. with the Fine Molds stuff, all the effort put into the various markings for the X-wings etc.. are wasted as well.

*depending on which source you are modeling after. ex. the Fine Molds X-wing is based mainly on the larger one built for ESB/ROTJ, while the Bandai ones are based mainly on the ANH filming models

It also depends what model you're thinking about. Consider the Fine Models 1:144 Millennium Falcon:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y3swcs7qov0/UILxqPrBUcI/AAAAAAAABmY/evvoG__3k10/s1600/045.JPG

versus the Bandai 1:144 Falcon:

http://www.gaijin-gunpla.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IMG_0964.jpg

Now, obviously the Fine Molds model replicates the 32" Falcon with its lesser detailing, and the Bandai model replicates the TFA Falcon, based on the 5 footer. But you can see the differences in mold quality quite easily. The Bandai product has much sharper edges, in addition to being more detailed.

The Bandai Falcon is the first kit Falcon that gets the ship's proportions right. Even though the Fine Molds is based on the 3-footer, the hull curvature is still too flat (compared to the 3-footer), the sidewalls still too high, the cockpit still too small, the mandibles too parallel, the jawbox too wide and too tall, etc. I'm happy with my FM Falcon, but it cost $250 and STILL required months of major surgery to gets it's basic proportions in line. I'm grateful that Fine Molds came along. Their kits were a huge step up from MPCs old offerings, but there's really no question that Bandai is the new gold standard for accuracy, detail, and price.

The wife is buying me 7 kits for Christmas (she went ahead and got everything on my wish list, bless her heart) -- 6 are Bandai and 1 is Revell -- the Kylo Ren shuttle. On the Bandai kits, I know I'll only need to worry about paint and maybe some minor internal modifications for lighting (if I choose). For the shuttle, however, I already know I need to modify the "wings" so they move, change wrong detailing on the hull, add missing detail, fill some pretty obvious gaps, etc. Had Bandai made the shuttle, I wouldn't need to do any of those things, plus it'd be in a standard scale. Heck, I bet they'd even figure out a way to make the wings retract the way they did in the movie.

It also seems the Bandai kits are more accurate with regards to scale, at least according to some modelers. So that's another factor to take into consideration.

Another thing to consider when choosing Bandai vs Finemolds/Revell is what scale you want. Finemolds/Revell offer some models in larger scales than Bandai.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Another thing to consider when choosing Bandai vs Finemolds/Revell is what scale you want. Finemolds/Revell offer some models in larger scales than Bandai.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Yes, love 1/48th scale Fine Molds and wish Bandai did more 1/48.

Finished up my TIE fighter and am currently painting my X-Wing. I bought the Revell reboxes.

72486221414a2152ed951e48aeaadc5a.jpg

1d27b2eb5d1e2e844e6073f6864bdfb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow, the bandai seems a good bit taller than the black series. I haven't unboxed my black series yet, but I'm hoping that it satisfies the look...

Tokyo Model Detective has a build video up on YouTube of K2-SO and the Shoretrooper and the 1/6 Stormtrooper. Be warned they are long videos.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Here you go. Excuse any distortion. It's a subtle thing. You really have to have it in front of you to see it. So far this is all I have assembled.

IMG_7673.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back