Attention Aussies : Export issues

wgdesign

Hey local peeps,

I recently sold a replica Aliens Pulse Rifle that I modeled, printed and painted to a customer in the US (ironically) and DHL has returned it to me claiming it’s a replica weapon. Which is ludicrous.

Anyone have any advice as to how I can get this to him???

Did DHL stop it while it was still in Australia? Or was it flagged over here (the US). Also, which state were you shipping to? Some US states have an issue with particular types of replicas and will not allow direct shipment.

Stopped it while still here. The morons didn't even look at it properly either - they noted "Si Detected", obviously thinking my painted on LED counter was real. Which normally I'd be flattered about, but in this instance, not so much. :lol:

It's going to Queens NY.

Yeah AU will not let that go.
I've been joking on here for near 10 years, we need an RPF submarine to run US-UK lol

AU will bust you left and right, I stopped shipping kits there 5+ years ago because of this. EU, if it's half colored obnoxious, they let it slide... AU and NZ what a pain in the ass. Talk to tmax he probably has some good recommendations.

It's so dumb it's beyond dumb. Whats even more ridiculous as they wrote - in the actual law - that if a 'reasonable' person 'could' mistake it for an actual weapon, then it is a weapon.

I mean, I consider myself reasonable, but if it's 2am and I'm going for a p!ss in the middle of the night and my wife is in the hallway holding the Dyson.....

Australia has very strict laws on weapons, replica weapons and licencing. Different states also have various levels of laws and restrictions. There are also guidelines and licences required for importing, owning and safely storing weapons as well as imitation weapons. Even more, different TYPES of replicas (ie: pistol vs rifle, archaic vs modern etc) have different requirements. I would assume exporting these items has similar restrictions. For some states and certain classes of weapons, the law doesn't even really distinguish between a working weapon and a replica - they are all considered restricted items that require a licence to own, use, import and export.
As for the reason they quoted: "if a 'reasonable' person 'could' mistake it for an actual weapon, then it is a weapon." I'm pretty sure that's not just a DHL agent's petty thing, that's close to the actual wording in the firearms legislation itself. Essentially, if it's a close enough replica that a random bystander might think its real, then it is treated with a MUCH higher level of restriction and licence requirement. There's been enough incidents over the years, of people being shot while carrying toys, or people using replicas or toys to commit crimes, that Australia has decided to impose stricter laws (depending on the state of course - NSW where I live is especially strict, while QLD and SA have much looser laws)
The NERF Pulse rifle isn't a restricted replica firearm because of the colours, but as soon as you paint it up to look like the prop, it passes over that ambiguous line and get's reclassified. I've gone through all of this multiple times over the years because I collect Transformers toys, and owning something like a transforming Megatron figure technically requires a replica firearms license, and it has to be stored in an approved lockable gun-safe, that has been inspected and approved by your local police!!
I've been investigating this all myself recently because I was contemplating importing a Blade Runner replica or trying to get a replica Mauser to build a DL-44 Han Solo blaster. Ultimately I concluded that the compliance requirements were much too onerous and costly, and there was just too much risk of being fined, or simply having costly imports destroyed.
Depending on where you sent it from, what cities/states it passed through on it's way out of the country, and what level of scrutiny it received on the way, it could have triggered any number of redflags. From what I've read, even the mood of the customs agent who caught it on the day can mean the difference between it being returned with a polite letter and the offending item going straight in the furnace.

Don't want to get too political but... while it annoys me no end and it really puts a cramp on some of the props we can collect, when I look at gun violence and crime rates in countries like the US, not having a Megatron toy on my shelf seems a small price to pay. My daughter is 12 and my son is 6 and they are safe at their school every day, without security guards, metal detectors etc. They don't even know what a "duck and cover" drill is, and hopefully will never have to. When I think about that, I guess I'm okay with the law being a little too strict on this one.

I'm in Queensland and despite the laws being a little more favorable to replica firearms here, any imports still have to make it through NSW customs first.

I'm in Queensland and despite the laws being a little more favorable to replica firearms here, any imports still have to make it through NSW customs first.
Yeah. that's probably the issue. Imports/exports will generally go through Sydney if you're on the Eastern side of the continent. NSW probably has the toughest laws in the country. I know there's a special Imitations Firearms Import licence that you need to get those Megtraons I talked about. I would assume there's an Imitation Firearms Export licence the OP would need to apply for in order to sell their prop.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have given serious thought to driving up to the Gold Coast to visit one of the Replica Firearms stores just over the border, to pick up a Mauser Broomhandle replica to make a Han Solo Blaster. It's about an 8 or 9 hour drive... each way.

Yeah. that's probably the issue. Imports/exports will generally go through Sydney if you're on the Eastern side of the continent. NSW probably has the toughest laws in the country. I know there's a special Imitations Firearms Import licence that you need to get those Megtraons I talked about. I would assume there's an Imitation Firearms Export licence the OP would need to apply for in order to sell their prop.

Yeah. There are specific Export permits for "imitation firearms" that you can get. They are generally a bit more complex than import permits as it will depend on which country you intend to export to as those countries will have their own rules/regulations.

Generally, some customs brokers can help navigate the requirements but that's adding extra $$ onto the cost of the prop. But they tend to be more helpful than inquiring directly to any of the Government departments (in my experience they just direct you to customs brokers anyway).

I had an issue a few years ago when I bought a Fuyaco Roargun on eBay (the toy used to create the BFG sprite in the original DOOM games). The seller contacted me saying that eBay had advised them not to ship the toy to Australia as it would likely get seized by customs. Keep in mind the toy looks like this:

1703050173246.png

When I reached out to Aus Customs they were completely unhelpful and told me to use a Customs Broker. I contacted the seller back and told them I was prepared to accept the risk of it being seized.

In the end it arrived without incident, but it goes to show how strict they CAN potentially be.

.....EU, if it's half colored obnoxious, they let it slide... ....
Slight correction there. Every EU country has its own laws and regs when it comes to replica firearms.

Sweden, for example... there shouldn't be an issue shipping things to. I've sent and received dozens of replicas over the years. If it's an air gun, airsoft or metal replica model, I always recommend EMS shipping these days, at least if I'm shipping OUT of Sweden, but an all-plastic model, regular post (i.e. USPS from the states) is fine. The only thing you can't easily ship here are real guns (including deacts, since they still classify as "firearms" here) because you need a license for them and have to prove such to customs and so on.

The half-colored thing usually applies to the UK and their VCRA law. (Airsofts that are brightly colored a certain percentage are OK there. If you want something more realistic, you have to have a "valid defense"... museum, movie production, UKARA airsoft member, reenactor etc)

This regrettably can often occur and its can be compounded depending on which State you are shipping from.

I am very well connected with Australian Border Force and I was told in no uncertain terms by good friends there that a Hasbro pulse I created a while back may not be shipped at all.

M

Thanks for commenting everyone.

I've started jumping through the hoops anyway. It's unnecessarily stupid and complicated but the whole thing to me is utterly ridiculous and I refuse to have my hobby viewed in the same light as gun dealers and armed robbers, which is basically who we are being lumped in with if you boil it down.

I'll share everything that I learn here so the community can benefit.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have given serious thought to driving up to the Gold Coast to visit one of the Replica Firearms stores just over the border, to pick up a Mauser Broomhandle replica to make a Han Solo Blaster. It's about an 8 or 9 hour drive... each way.
Sign me up!

I've purchased all the files not realising they were designed to fit on a Denix replica Mauser.

Okay, here's Step 1-4 as told by Export Controls at defense.com.au

Step 1 – Register with Australian Border Force (ABF)
You will need to register in the Integrated Cargo System (ICS) through ABF.
Complete the attached form and send to your state of residence - NSW – mandexnsw@abf.gov.au VIC – clientservicestullamarine@abf.gov.au QLD – mandexqld@abf.gov.au SA Detainedgoods.sa@abf.gov.au WA – shopfrontchap@abf.gov.au NT – ntclientservices@abf.gov.au ACT - Act.op.command@abf.gov.au TAS -acs.launceston@abf.gov.au (South) OR abf.hobart@abf.gov.au (North)

This must be done before you can register as a client with Defence Export Controls. When you register in the ICS, you can register with your entities Australian Business Number, or as an individual where you will receive a Customs Client Identification number (CCID). This process is administered by ABF please submit your application to them.

*EDIT* Make sure at least one of your ID references proves your current address.

If you have previously exported goods from Australia, you may already be registered with ABF.

Step 2 – Register as a user of the Defence Export Controls Forms website (Defence Export Controls Forms · Customer Self-Service)
You will need to register as a user and activate the account via the activation email sent to the email address you register with. Please note this is separate to registering as a client of Defence Export Controls.

Step 3 – Register as a client with Defence Export Controls
You will need to log into the Defence Export Controls Forms website and complete a Client Registration Form. You will need either a CCID issued by ABF, or an ABN that has been registered for export with ABF in the ICS, to successfully complete and submit this form.

Once this form is uploaded, you will receive an email from DEC with your Defence Client Registration Number (DCRN) which is used when completing the Application to Export or Supply Controlled Goods and Technology form.

Step 4 – Complete an Application to Export or Supply Controlled Goods and Technology
This application allows you to seek a new export permit. In completing this form we ask you provide a full description of the goods or technology to be exported, (including any accessories and ammunition) along with details of the consignee and end-user of the items.

Last edited:
TLDR...Did you send through Australia Post to the US.....??...OR use DHL directly...??

I used to make and sell replica E-11s and 90% of my sales were to the US...never had a problem

Out of curiosity, to get a licence to "export Imitation firearms", did you also have to go through your State's process to acquire a licence to OWN "Imitation firearms"? I know in NSW you need to have a gun-safe, and get it inspected by the local police, you may have to have a monitored alarm system on your house etc, just to own items that they declare "imitation firearms". I would assume that to be allowed to sell and export said items, you would also have to go through the process of registering to own them. Or do they not care about that?

(note: the quotation marks for "imitation firearms" are meant to reflect how ambiguous the term is when used by customs and police, not as any kind of criticism of OP or other commentators ;))

Out of curiosity, to get a licence to "export Imitation firearms", did you also have to go through your State's process to acquire a licence to OWN "Imitation firearms"? I know in NSW you need to have a gun-safe, and get it inspected by the local police, you may have to have a monitored alarm system on your house etc, just to own items that they declare "imitation firearms". I would assume that to be allowed to sell and export said items, you would also have to go through the process of registering to own them. Or do they not care about that?

(note: the quotation marks for "imitation firearms" are meant to reflect how ambiguous the term is when used by customs and police, not as any kind of criticism of OP or other commentators ;))
You make a good point! I actually have no idea.

I guess that again clearly illustrates the shortcomings of Australian law as it applied to cosplay and movie prop weapons. And by shortcomings I mean no provision at all. I guess that it's true that the legal system is always one step behind society and that the only impetus for it to change is if citizens actively challenge it. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with the 'reasonable person' onus that is lazy lawmaking, and equally unfortunate that institutions make it so hard to even get basic information that you don't actually know if what you're doing is technically 'above board'.

Thats interesting (and of course dissapointing) to know that they flagged it whilst heading out of Aus. Importing is mostly luck of the draw from what ive heard and past experience.

Had one blade runner item arrive in Aus, get opened and inspected (they even leave a note saying the import 'controller' or something has checked it) and that was all good. Then a year later had another very similar item get seized on arrival. It was seized "by the crown"...thats literally what they say on the customs letter haha.

I tried for months to just ask for some basic info about the whole issue. And how they determine what can be classified as an 'immitation firearm' so I know for the future. Even physically went into a local customs office. Long story short is im still gobsmacked at how I was treated during the entire process when dealing with Aus customs/boarder force. They completely ignored all communication from my end but firmly put pressure on me to forfeit the item to prevent going to court and potentially have to 'pay their legal fees'. Since then though 2 items have breezed in without issue. The difference is they were kits and the sellers cut them up further so the parts dont look like anything when boxed and scanned. It feels like the whole issue is a big grey area and they intentionally keep it that way unfortunately. Imo id suggest cutting any losses and not drawing eyeballs by attempting to get any licence etc for imports or exports..I really think it wouldnt be worth the time and effort.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back