HASLAB Proton Pack & Spengler Wand issues....

sapper36

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought I'd start a specific thread for electronics issues with the HASLAB Proton Pack paired with the Spengler Wand....

So I've had mine on display in the house for a while - Took it out for an event last weekend and experienced the following issue:

When flipping the three switches on the wand - Bottom Right, then top right, then left (Activate, under the black intensify button)
Upon flipping the third switch the whole unit shuts down.

It happens intermitently, Occasionally working corrdtly for a minute or two.

I have replaced the Duracell Batteries with fresh energizers.

I reseated the hose connector on both ends.

I tried a hack I saw inserting half a pen spring into each of the two connector holes in the hose end that screws into the wand. That just seemed to cause a shreiking sound.

None of those seemed to work.

I haven't made any mods to this unit - Havent even opened up the backboard.

Since this seems to be a somewhat common problem - I was hoping somebody here has found a solution, or this could be a good place to troubleshoot with smarter brains than mine!

I have contacted HASLAB on email & I'm waiting for a response.

Thank you oh mighty RPF!

Thought I'd start a specific thread for electronics issues with the HASLAB Proton Pack paired with the Spengler Wand....

So I've had mine on display in the house for a while - Took it out for an event last weekend and experienced the following issue:

When flipping the three switches on the wand - Bottom Right, then top right, then left (Activate, under the black intensify button)
Upon flipping the third switch the whole unit shuts down.

It happens intermitently, Occasionally working corrdtly for a minute or two.

I have replaced the Duracell Batteries with fresh energizers.

I reseated the hose connector on both ends.

I tried a hack I saw inserting half a pen spring into each of the two connector holes in the hose end that screws into the wand. That just seemed to cause a shreiking sound.

None of those seemed to work.

I haven't made any mods to this unit - Havent even opened up the backboard.

Since this seems to be a somewhat common problem - I was hoping somebody here has found a solution, or this could be a good place to troubleshoot with smarter brains than mine!

I have contacted HASLAB on email & I'm waiting for a response.

Thank you oh mighty RPF!
It’s a known problem with the most basic of fixes being tighten the port at the pack tighter than what seems possible, and then tighten some more.

From what I understand Hasbro used to send out replacements but no longer do.

If you want to go the mod route installing an aircraft plug seems to be the best/most common fix. Takes a little bit of skill and some drilling but doable for any DIYer.

I have found outside at 45 degrees or less, the pack will shut down due to the cold. Worked fine once indoors and warmed up.

I'm in Flori-Duh - So 45 degrees rarely happens here....

I tried ordering a replacement hose from Chris Hunt on Facebook - Of Dragon Workshop out of Washington State.

Anybody vouch for him? Closing in on a month overdue on shipping & he's not answering on facebook messenger.

Trying to decide when to go to Paypal & get that money back.... Looks like I have till June...

It’s a known problem with the most basic of fixes being tighten the port at the pack tighter than what seems possible, and then tighten some more.

From what I understand Hasbro used to send out replacements but no longer do.

If you want to go the mod route installing an aircraft plug seems to be the best/most common fix. Takes a little bit of skill and some drilling but doable for any DIYer.
No no no, it’s plastic. Never overtighten it. The fix is to apply a small strip of electrical tape around the female side of the pack hose connector (just avoiding the “safety” tab that ensures correct alignment). This extra thickness when the hose is inserted allows it to maintain contact.

No no no, it’s plastic. Never overtighten it. The fix is to apply a small strip of electrical tape around the female side of the pack hose connector (just avoiding the “safety” tab that ensures correct alignment). This extra thickness when the hose is inserted allows it to maintain contact.
As long as you’re not using any sort of mechanical advantage it’s not likely you’ll cause any damage. Also this was one of the recommended fixes suggested by customer support. Basically “seat the plug tighter.” It’s dumb but it mostly works.

Also the shim tape method would be a nice fix if it was actually consistent. People have still had disconnects while trooping, although it’s less intermittent.

It’s a bad design really only remedied by replacing the plug all together.

Idk, I did the tape trick numerous times on various Haslab packs and can’t get the wand to lose connection no matter how badly I twist and yank the hose on the pack side.

So I'm still waiting on a replacement from Chris Hunt through facebook. I ordered & paid in December & He's been telling me it'll ship soon for a month or more. He has a good rep with the folks at GBfans but I'm starting to get concerned.... Any body here dealt with him?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back