AT-AT WALKER 3D MODEL

OK still working my way back over everything and correcting errors. I am being assisted by a couple of kitbash kings who are solving so many questions for me
The Motor drive underbelly section is a beast...getting it all to line up so that the metal work will all fit is a brain boiler to be sure and there's bound to be unforeseen anomalies when I come to print and assembly time...but I'm enjoying deep diving into the rusty innards to see what's actually in there.
Here is the updated version with the cut away's on the accurately scaled styrene boards;
AT-AT 33.jpg
AT-AT 34.jpg
AT-AT 35.jpg

Next up; tucking it all into the bodyshell

Got the 'hull' cut out to receive the motordrive assembly and completely remodelled the tail section...I am now opting for the greeblies to be 'upside down' as well...there are several examples of it this way up. on original props and the parts are oriented this way up on the relevant sprues.

SHELL.jpg
SHELL 1.jpg
SHELL 2.jpg

COCCYX.jpg
COCCYX 1.jpg

Hmmm, belly screw heads are definitely not all the same size...the three in the middle are 9mm and the outer 2 are 6mm

OK I have finished re-modelling the leg, so as soon as I get my new XL prusa I will start printing and building the Studio scale model;

AT-AT 36.jpg
AT-AT 37.jpg

One thing pointed out to me years ago, so now I notice this with ALL models built, is how the top part of the foot goes down into itself. I've seen a behind the scenes pic of all the parts laid out, and you can see the bottom part of the feet with springs on them. Can't find that pic now.
If seems that some of the ILM models did not do this, while others did.
I can tell in the movie where it does and doesn't.
Its very subtle, but really cool the amount of work and thought put into these things.

Here's best pic I could find of the bigger leg model where it does this. On my phone, so just had to use my finger to drawn the parts out.
Not many people include this moving part, so I like to see it added in for best accuracy.
View attachment 1636901
I'd be very interested to know where the feet of the Walkers do NOT compress because as far as I know all the feet compress.

Interestingly, in the scene when the Walkers are first seen on the North Ridge there are 5 but as there were 3 Hero models built I just realised that the two at the rear are duplicates of the front left and right Hero Walkers, just reduced in size to add distance.

It really looks amazing, Geek but I don't know if it has been pointed out however this part circled needs to be reversed. The smaller end should be towards the front.

I'd be very interested to know where the feet of the Walkers do NOT compress because as far as I know all the feet compress.

Interestingly, in the scene when the Walkers are first seen on the North Ridge there are 5 but as there were 3 Hero models built I just realised that the two at the rear are duplicates of the front left and right Hero Walkers, just reduced in size to add distance.
There is one shot I remembered, and then happen to find another while looking for the first shot....so heres 2 shots of the no compressed feet.

This one being about the 27 min mark. Funny thing is, its the front foreground walker that does not compress, the back two do. These have to be the three hero walkers, so I'm thinking there might have been an issue, maybe being so close to the camera, that it wasn't able to step all the way down. But, not totally sure.
Shot1.jpg

This one at the 28:40 mark where they are just about the shoot the harpoon. I'm thinking these are just legs for a close up, and therefore do not compress. Its a really quick shot, and you are really suppose to be watching Luke fly his speeder through the legs....but watch the legs instead, they kinda just dangle there as they move a little bit. Probably were having a tricky time filming this shot.
Shot2.jpg

There is one shot I remembered, and then happen to find another while looking for the first shot....so heres 2 shots of the no compressed feet.

This one being about the 27 min mark. Funny thing is, its the front foreground walker that does not compress, the back two do. These have to be the three hero walkers, so I'm thinking there might have been an issue, maybe being so close to the camera, that it wasn't able to step all the way down. But, not totally sure.
View attachment 1684628

This one at the 28:40 mark where they are just about the shoot the harpoon. I'm thinking these are just legs for a close up, and therefore do not compress. Its a really quick shot, and you are really suppose to be watching Luke fly his speeder through the legs....but watch the legs instead, they kinda just dangle there as they move a little bit. Probably were having a tricky time filming this shot.
View attachment 1684629
The upper image is of the 3 Hero Walkers and I've studied this shot and they do compress but the lower image is quite possibly the larger 4 foot model and is such a very quick shot it's extremely hard to tell.

The upper image is of the 3 Hero Walkers and I've studied this shot and they do compress but the lower image is quite possibly the larger 4 foot model and is such a very quick shot it's extremely hard to tell.
Look again. There is no compression with this foreground foot. Even as the bottom part goes off screen, you would be able to tell with the top going down, which is doesn't here. This gif being the front left leg, but you can also see the front right leg as well in the whole shot.

Sequence 03.gif

Junk Pilot indeed the 4th and 5th AT-AT on the ridge were smaller cut-out photographs of an AT-AT, posted in the background which added extra depth :

p4tD3iw.jpg

(Picture courtesy ILM/Lucasfilm Ltd.)

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back