Aquaman (Post-release)

What did you think of Aquaman?

• Total voters
Lacking heartfelt moments, and despite the weird music choices, its got amazing visuals, awesome action and everyone was pretty darn good. Not the best but certainly a really good time at the movies.

I really dug the movie. It's gorgeous and fun with some interesting quirks. I'll probably see it again at some point and it will definitely be added to my rotation of background movies while I work.
That new trident is absolutely going to be added to my build list, i need it on my wall.

Warning: minor spoilers below.

I saw it for free and I STILL wanted my money back! It was bad. Really bad.
The jokes were old, predictable and formulaic.
Our hero LETS someone die...ON POURPOSE!!!
The plot is old, tired and a story we've seen a million times.
Willem DeFoe's performance was the worst in his career. I can't believe he took this job!
Painfully obvious they had a very weak story and dialogue, so much to the point that they had to fill this movie with something, so they did it with gratuitous fight scenes as a filler.
75 percent of the movie was fight scenes to the point where it gets boring fast!
The dialogue was so predictable we were finishing sentences FOR them!
Black Manta was shoe horned it. He served very little pourpse to the (weak) main story. He felt like an afterthought.
There's more but honestly, I've put more energy in this posting than it deserves.

Last edited:
My son and I saw it last night. We enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I avoided all trailers but couldn’t avoid some of the imagery before seeing it. Couldn’t take my eyes off of Amber Heard, she makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class. LOL. Some of the clues they figured out reminded me more like watching Adam West and Burt Ward in Batman and Robin but I’d see it again for sure.

Sean

Last edited:
Saw it last night. Thought it was so much fun. Great visuals. Totally worth seeing in IMAX 3D. I like that this felt like a really giant epic story. The adventure aspect of it and definitely how the different kingdoms really felt so distinct. I had a great time and will probably see it again.

I think @FunkyJedi summed up a great deal of how I felt about Aquaman... however, I don't think I felt it was nearly as bad as he did.

Aquaman had the potential to be a great popcorn flick, but just kinda flopped around like a dying fish. The previews and early hype just made it sound like DC finally managed to get a home run.. instead of the double looking to steal a third (whereas Wonder Woman was a triple for me).

There's little to no plot build up, there's no character development and the CGI goes from astounding to "how'd they let that slip by" multiple times in the same scene. Much of the movie suffers looks flat because of obvious green screen backgrounds (even when it seemed like they weren't needed).

The trite storyline could've been worked in a way that it didn't matter - build us some strong characters, a plot that actually supports a story rather than fight-fight-fight and then fight-fight-fight some more then some overused CG to add some creatures with little or no explanation.

Momoa really seemed that he had more chemistry as Aquaman in everything other than what we see in the movie. I just don't think he can carry a movie by himself... add Amber Heard and well, they could've just used a hand puppet. In fact the entire cast just seemed like they needed acting lessons or they were phoning it in. Sure Momoa had a few moments where his charisma was able to carry him... but, it wasn't enough to carry this one.

Is it worth seeing? Probably - this is a "geek" forum and while I've seen other threads that act like seeing a movie that didn't live up to personal expectations is a crime against humanity; it's still a passable popcorn flick that has enough fun elements to make it watchable. If you're the type that doesn't go to the movie theater regularly - then it's an easy pass.

2.5 stars of 5.

* I don't know why I'm using baseball euphemisms.

Glad I have AMC A-list otherwise I would have felt a lot differently about this movie. While Im not a big aquaman fan, I do like Momoa but this movie was pretty bad. Some of it was good, the designs of their armor was awesome, their weapons were cool, seeing Dolph as a King was pretty rad, obviously I liked watching Amber Heard in her outfit. But man, there was a LOT wrong with this movie. Not only was it super predictable, but they made choices that just didnt make sense to me. Why ride a ship that looks like a fish when you can swim ten times faster? How was Mera able to do her water tricks? How did Orm cause the tidal waves if he wasnt "ocean master"? How the HELL did Black Manta re work that armor considering it was super advanced technology? Just stuff like that I couldnt get over. There was a lot more. How often they used the "oh man here is a spot to give you time to think- BAM EXPLOSION". They did that like 5 times. Also saw the Nicole Kidman thing coming from a mile away, Ant-Man did it better.

I think its time for DC to hang it up. There isnt a point anymore. Not even to compete with Marvel, but to make a good, engaging, non cheesy movie.

I saw it today and thought it was pretty good. A solid 7 out of 10. There were a few things I didn't care about, but overall it exceeded my expectations (I didn't have high hopes going into it). My 17yr old son loved it.

Waaaay too long, which is typical. Waaaaay too many and long CGI fight scenes.
Black Manta was unnecessary for this movie, all it did was lengthen it. Every exposition scene ended in a ‘surprise’ explosion. Once, fine. I counted four.
Uber-predictable plot. Just sit black and start ticking off the plot development tropes on your fingers.
And good god, the de-aging was horrendous...although the plastic Nicole Kidman face is accurate nowadays.
There were good spots and some decent humor, but three out of the four of us who saw it shrugged our shoulders and went, meh. One truly loved it, but but he loves all cgi spectacles I believe because he’s mostly deaf and has a hard time with dialogue.
Not Wonder Woman good, not BVS bad. Take out at least a half hour and it can go up one or two stars.

Please, someone tell me Aquaman smashed a beer can on his forehead while “Let The Bodies Hit The Floor”, or an AC/DC / Metallica song, played in the background and then rode away into the sunset on a pink seahorse.

Please...

Please, make my wildest dreams come true.

Last edited:
Just came back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s indeed nothing new story wise, and it is over the top here and there but it works. It does have a little bit of heart. Most impertotently it’s a comic book movie through and through though, with great visuals that leaped out of pages, and it is FUN. Orm’s helmet eyes even moved to mimic his expression, it’s subtle and it works beautifully !

See, I didnt think it was fun. Antman is a fun movie. This was on the verge of being boring. Its almost as if its two different movies smashed together.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back