Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

ouch i guess the thing that sucks with the already build price is that you would have to fall exactly in the measurement scale so that it may fit perfect on you otherwise you might spend $1200 on something that still needs to be altered when you get it.

Anyone here do commission armor builds? Im looking to get the FO trooper armor but not only do I lack the skills i am also 5"4 and hear that making a trooper armor fit a short person can be quite a challenge.

go look on starwarsscreencaps and look at the stormtroopers. Nobody is talking about storage degredation or weathering. They were originally manufactured badly. That's how they are. It is authentic.

Cleaning the armour up is inauthentic by definition. Unless it is to restore the screen used state. That isn't required, for the helmets at least. Plastic doesn't just erode, or dent. It can warp, but the helmets are quite a sturdy structure so this isn't apparent on the surviving examples. Only the paint and decals have faired badly.

Fett's helmet might need clean up, as I believe the original ESB has dents and cracks not there during filming. Your approach would be authentic for that example.

The weird bubbles, wonky sculpt etc and other manufacturing flaws are not eligible for clean-up, unless idealisation is the aim (which is okay!, just not my preference)

It is very simple. If you want cleaned up, fair enough, it is understandable. But some people don't want a sugar coated, revisionist item. That is why there are different providers. An un-altered cast of the real thing is the gold standard for prop replica, but not necessarily merchandise

You might like the hero helmet better than the stunt helmet.

The ultimate for me is a set that looks like it came straight off the original molds. I could be wrong, but I assume intentionally weathering and natural wear and tear from actually using it could have physically altered the structure and texture. I don't know how the RS armor was treated in the years since filming, but I believe efx said the hero suit they have access to was stored in a trash bag. It probably wasn't treated in the way you would if are are carefully archiving an item. Because of that, I could certainly believe that suit has some additional damage since filming.

If you cast a suit that has history of intentional weathering and natural wear and tear, it is not exactly what was originally produced. It may be a perfect copy of one specific suit after all of that happened to it.

An example of something that bugs me about the RS helmet is the bump on the left side of the forehead. I would be very surprised if that was on the original mold. I looked at numerous screen shots and I don't see that on the cleaner stunt helmets. The dirty ones are hard to tell because they are so dirty. That would have been a strange choice to make when doing the original sculpt.

I believe I read the RS suit was a sandtrooper suit. Obviously those were weathered and used in a harsh environment. That doesn't sound like an ideal starting point for a clean Deathstar suit. A cast with no cleanup has all of the physical wear and tear baked into the mold. Unless all stormtroopers get the exact same wear and tear, that doesn't seem ideal.

There may not be a more accurate option available currently, but I don't agree an exact cast off a weathered suit is the best possible suit to represent a fresh off the original mold look.

The ultimate for me is a set that looks like it came straight off the original molds. I could be wrong, but I assume intentionally weathering and natural wear and tear from actually using it could have physically altered the structure and texture. I don't know how the RS armor was treated in the years since filming, but I believe efx said the hero suit they have access to was stored in a trash bag. It probably wasn't treated in the way you would if are are carefully archiving an item. Because of that, I could certainly believe that suit has some additional damage since filming.

If you cast a suit that has history of intentional weathering and natural wear and tear, it is not exactly what was originally produced. It may be a perfect copy of one specific suit after all of that happened to it.

An example of something that bugs me about the RS helmet is the bump on the left side of the forehead. I would be very surprised if that was on the original mold. I looked at numerous screen shots and I don't see that on the cleaner stunt helmets. The dirty ones are hard to tell because they are so dirty. That would have been a strange choice to make when doing the original sculpt.

I believe I read the RS suit was a sandtrooper suit. Obviously those were weathered and used in a harsh environment. That doesn't sound like an ideal starting point for a clean Deathstar suit. A cast with no cleanup has all of the physical wear and tear baked into the mold. Unless all stormtroopers get the exact same wear and tear, that doesn't seem ideal.

There may not be a more accurate option available currently, but I don't agree an exact cast off a weathered suit is the best possible suit to represent a fresh off the original mold look.

I understand your point, it is something to think about, but there are unweathered death star suit that are again visible on cloud city, with these issues. It isn't an intentional part of the mould, but slack tolerances for what is ultimately a stunt suit. RS's helmet has no paint on it anymore, so you can really see the original texture of the plastic. You can see the bumps under non weathered paint on screen too. They were originally produced like that. Some suits probably suffered more than others, but from what can be seen, there isn't any cleaner really.

You can come to the same conclusion if you research more, it is the nature of this costume. To make a suit that has no tell tale individual flaws but can still represent an authentic item takes a lot of observational skills and information (I think it is possible though) otherwise you can undo something that shouldn't be undone. It is like restoring historic artefacts in a museum, there is a certain philosophy to it.

I think a carefully cleaned up RS helmet would be more accurate than an anovos still, provided you clean up the right things. The commodisation of the anovos helmet cleans it too much for me. But get whatever you prefer, I would.

Last edited:
Exactly. But don't waste your breath. He's simply not getting it, and he is saying the same thing over and over...

The condescending attitude isn't helpful. I simply do not agree the RS armor is the ultimate possible version of the armor for reasons explained in another reply. Somneone else actually thought they were reasonable points.

If you feel there is no possible way anyone could ever surpase the RS armor, why are you wasting time in a thread about an inferior set to of armor?

The condescending attitude isn't helpful. I simply do not agree the RS armor is the ultimate possible version of the armor for reasons explained in another reply. Somneone else actually thought they were reasonable points.

If you feel there is no possible way anyone could ever surpase the RS armor, why are you wasting time in a thread about an inferior set to of armor?

Your concern about weathering and item storage is valid, but without specific examples it is vague and appears as a justification for correcting flaws that are not a result of weathering and storage. The head bump is on the plastic from the vac form and is visible on screen, albeit under enamel paint and slightly diminished. Less visible on others, as the vac form buck degraded over time during production, I've read. Not sure on the specifics of how the bump came to be though, but it wouldn't have happened after production unless the HDPE had been reheated (it looks like a thermoformed blemish)

Don't take it personally, just go read some more eye bleedingly long threads on other forums and understand why the RS armour is the choice for those wanting to get as close to the real thing as possible. I thought the same about idealising an ST helmet before I read all the info I could. Ultimate possible is different to ultimate available.

Don't worry! The anovos is a good offering regardless of anything else. I kind of want one to paint in wacky colours for fun, it feels like a blank canvas.

Good luck with the ears everyone :lol

It's my time to waste. ;) And like I said do your own research first (I even provided a great site, but there are others too), and then we'll maybe talk again sometime. Ciao

Well - I´ve read a lot of the peoples reasons to believe RS is the top of the food chain. And i still disagree. Even if there would be no difference between the stored and the new made parts, it´s still only a very bad made plastic suit. Not what it should be (a imperial stormtrooper), only a crappy made prop. Not what Lucas imagined, only what he got.

Like those streets Hollywood created for sets, where only the frontwall was build without a house behind. A cheap shortcut without substance.

Once i thought about buying a RS, just for it´s lineage. Then i realised that my german genes couldn´t stand it´s non existend fabrication quality. I couldn´t even estimate how many hours i would spend to sand it to a smooth surface, and to reshape it with my heatgun. :lol

So its the 21's how many people got there tracking number? LOL i'm just #%$^ing with ya I know no one got there tracking numbers

That´s not correct, they do:

post-23071-145339231947.png

Posted on the FISD and copied from there.

Aww man...i checked my reciept and it looks like I ordered on day 2 of availabilty, but i haven't gotten tracking yet - unless you have to get from the site only...who know's maybe i'll come home to a box or two :)

- - - Updated - - -

So much for those who thought we would never see any armor. :)

Of course, now the moaning will commence, picking apart the actual shipped armor! LOL

What are the odds it'll be the same people? Surely not, right? :)

I ordered mine April 12 around 2:30pm...I wonder how many people could be in front of me? I haven't received any shipping notification.

I ordered mine April 12 around 2:30pm...I wonder how many people could be in front of me? I haven't received any shipping notification.
The guy who received it didn't either but it seems like is lives literally right next door to the fulfillment center...

They've doing doing updates monthly the last few months and prior to that Got Maul was keeping us up to date as best he could. What more exactly can they be doing? They're not going to air their day to day crap out for everyone.

And there's a very good chance their contract with The Mouse for licensing products includes some kind of "non-disparagement" clause. I'd imagine they have to be *very* careful about what they say when it pertains to delays caused by Disney. Other companies are probably chomping at the bit to have this license and Anovos knows it. I'd be careful too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back