ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

...Also, the two grooves on the left hand side of the Mauser's rails are more defined than the real thing; the real prop's are very shallow and washed out, for some reason. Also, as I recall it, based upon the pre-production pics, the Flash hider was indeed on straight back then. They likely used the spacer in it then, like the one here:

mg81004.jpg

I'm guessing that at some pint they lost that spacer, which then resulted in the flash hider hanging down crooked. Though I must admit, you truly did a perfect job of recreating little spec, ding, smudge, and scratch present on the original, and thus raised the bar on all of our own builds! :cool

You are right about the rails. I am filling those a bit. Don't want to file off too much to weaken the rail. They probably filed it to "smooth" it a bit after some damage maybe.

That spacer is actually the MG81 "recoil booster" as shown on my FH off pic. This was not likely used on the HERO as it would not have fit the bull barrel and the FH would need to screw on a larger barrel (thus the threads on the inside rear of the FH). We recreated the booster to center the FH on our builds.

Someone said that they heard that the gap in the FH was stuffed with paper or tin foil at some point to straighten it but who knows.
The fact is that it is crooked in most images and we never really noticed, (until we dissected it) but we love it. Probably from Ford dropping it all the time. :facepalm

I would bend mine but in real life it looks silly that way.

Thanks for appreciating the work. I will post some more details soon. I went a bit overboard.

I have watched and enjoyed all the builds posted. It's a great hobby and everyone can be proud to own these great replicas.

Last edited:
Just to bust in here for a min, I came across a web site with some history on the C96,
I looked through the thread and didn't see it posted (maybe I missed it), sorry if it is a re-post,
http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/index.html
Most of it seems pretty straight on, make sure to check out the grips page,

that's a great resource and I devoured almost all the info there when getting my three real mausers. Invaluable.

Can someone post a pic of or a link to one showing the whole Dmachinist kit please? I'm just getting round to examining mine from the first run now and seem to be missing some parts. Not saying they were missing from my purchase, more like I've managed to lose them! Seem to be missing some bolts or threaded rods and I have some discs I'm not sure are even part of the kit!

Can someone post a pic of or a link to one showing the whole Dmachinist kit please? I'm just getting round to examining mine from the first run now and seem to be missing some parts. Not saying they were missing from my purchase, more like I've managed to lose them! Seem to be missing some bolts or threaded rods and I have some discs I'm not sure are even part of the kit!

some pics on dark energy creations' site here... http://darkenergycreations.com/stillavailable.aspx

Hope this helps :D

Very cool video, Pat!

And I must say, that is one good looking scaled blaster. ;)
Really nice work on the finish and weathering. :thumbsup

-Carson

The base Mauser will be cast pewter that will have the holes and some other details CNC milled.
It will also include real walnut grips and brass escutcheons! Crazy right.
All the other parts are either brass or steel just like the full sized kit. The mount and flash hider are really amazing at this scale.
...he is also thinking of making the antenna sight! The proto looks like a pin!

DEC Dave is still working out the details of when and how so I don't know availability yet but sometime after the holiday rush. He is aiming at a really affordable kit too.
He is recovering nicely and is already back on his feet... Well mostly anyway.
; )
Just wanted you guys to see the potential... But you will need some tiny screwdrivers to put it together. ! It was fun.

And finally... I don't have to squint at the chronicles book anymore for scratches reference!!!!
http://www.scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/SWreference/hanHeroMAIN-2.jpg
I have traced the paint scratches on the crossbar in that image and made a printable PDF for A4 paper. It is an attached file at the end of this post. Enjoy!

There are several instances in the file, scaled to the crossbar in the DEC kit (first run), minus one millimetre at the front... Of course I have only extrapolated the paint under the thumbnuts and the dovetail mount.

For my own build, I have printed it on self-adhesive paper. I plan on cutting inside the lines in one instance to use as mask for primer. Then cut outside the lines in another instance to use as mask for black spray paint. Then use a third instance as 1:1 reference when scratching paint off. (Or that's the idea... I'll have to wait until spring or borrow someone's heated garage before I paint it. It is much too cold around here right now to paint on the balcony and I would stink up my apartment if I spray paint indoors.)

Attachments

• paintchipping.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back