ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Actually Kpax, I think the lump is there on the gun in The Sweeney and your orange line is pointing right at it. If you hold a real Mauser that does not have the lump at the same angle there is nothing there to cause the reflection that is there in the frame cap.

Awesome work scottjua, looking good!
the scope tube on this run should be the same as the first run, I have both versions and they are very close.
A variance in the real scopes would be expected as the serial number goes up, there would have been changes in available materials and if one factory got destroyed they would have to remake the tooling in another factory, the original ones were made in hard times with marginal equipment.
I like to see you guys are still going strong! :cheers

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered my mini blaster as well. I got to see the flash hider when I visited the shop earlier this year. It was an exquisite little piece of art!

Thanks! Everybody has been appreciative and encouraging, doing the best I can to provide quality items.
:cheers :cheers :cheers

Awesome work scottjua, looking good!
the scope tube on this run should be the same as the first run, I have both versions and they are very close.
A variance in the real scopes would be expected as the serial number goes up, there would have been changes in available materials and if one factory got destroyed they would have to remake the tooling in another factory, the original ones were made in hard times with marginal equipment.
I like to see you guys are still going strong! :cheers

definitely true. There are so many variances in turn of the century and WWI pieces. My two real ones, although very close are not the same for sure.

even the inside windage knob gears/assembly pieces are hand made and the tolerances different and specific to each piece.

I guess it was only repeatable by plans back then and measurements with manual means could vary depending on the operator???

It's very intriguing actually how things were manufactured.

we need a photo compendium of all of the real scopes we've collected in this forum. That would be cool.

I remember Markus had a photo (I think it was Markus) with his scopes and how different they all are.

Same with Obi Wan Grenades.

I have already emailed Dave to compliment him on the Tomtit parts- EXCELLENT!
They match up nicely with the real parts (shown in post #1697).

I have 2 real Tomtit parts & was very happy to see the cleanness of the parts,
as well as the plastic material.

There are no casting defects as seen on the real parts,
but do we really want them?

Excellent work to the CAD artists and Dave for making them!

Yes, this is very true.

Gary and Jason Joiner have been "rebuilding (from NOS)/ restoring" old flashguns & Sterlings to make them "as screen-used" for years.

I personally chatted w/ a fellow who had done restoration work on several props over the years for PropStore.
"Restoration" not "rebuilding from NOS."
I completely trusted him when he told me in the early double-oh's, and still do.

So as Chaim says, be wary of auctions from Gary & Jason.

Hi there,

Those pix of the ANH and ESB lightsabers were from the Gary Kurtz private collections and as such not certain weather used during production or replicated afterwards and thus some T-track was fabricated that looked the part though was not entirely screen-accurate as the ESB pic from the movieshot.

-Chaim

Last edited:
...could be right. I don't have my model right now to compare to. I lent it to Dave for reference and fitting of the parts. Those images are not so good. I was looking for the "step" at the top which I can't see and the bottom scallop on the rail seems to sweep up rather than straight across like the lump which overhangs lower than the rail. If it is there, that may mean that the upper, if it is the same as in NR, cracked at the rear perhaps during NR and may have been welded with the lump because it is not there in the NR close up. Maybe they even replaced the barrel with the steeper bevels.

Still does not explain the rail grooves that are shallow on the HERO and deep on the NR. Can't tell for sure on the Sweeney gun. The images are too grainy to see the rail grooves at all. May mean they are shallow or just bad lighting.

Hi everyone,

I am new to RPF and I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed elsewhere.

I am going to start working on ANH blaster project with a Denix c96 with the Dark Energy Creations aluminum kit in the next month.

My question is this - what specific paints (ie. brand, color choices) should I use to paint the aluminum parts? Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this?

Thank you all very much!

Welcome.

Glad u got in on the fun

Some here have already completed theirs and know good ways of finishing and I am sure they will chime in.
Will you be using spray cans or airbrush?

Thank you kpax!

I am open to any suggestions on either spray cans or airbrushing. Although, I have more experience with spray cans than the latter.

I just want to do a quality job and I have heard that working on aluminum requires a bit more forethought on color options.

Thanks again for your kindness kpax!

I have been doing as you suggested and will take my time planning this out.

I will also post some pics on my progress (on a different thread).

Well since I'm pretty convinced I was scammed by GBrittelleJR and won't be receiving the DL44 blaster he "sold" me in the Junkyard, I've ordered some left over parts through Dave at DEC. Specifically an Aluminum flash hider (with only 6 rows of dots instead of 8, but oh well), aluminum barrel sleeve with booster and an aluminum front grill. I'll be on the hunt for a scope mount and a scope now, plus a Denix shouldn't be too hard to find. About a month ago, me and GBrittelleJR had agreed on $400 + one of my 8 foot, 12 plait Indy bullwhips for his blaster. He received my money and the bullwhip and I haven't heard from him since. I'm giving him until Friday, then I'll be reporting him for ban.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been checking his activity, he's been on twice in the past month. I really hate to think negatively about it, but he never asked for my shipping info and he doesn't respond to my messages. It just makes me think he's avoiding me. Like I said, I'm giving him until Fri before I contact a moderator. That would make it 3 whole weeks that he has had my money and my whip with no response. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I just wanted to mention it just in case anyone interacts with him on the regular.

It was a Money Order -_- Let's keep it on topic though, don't want to hijack! For the barrel sleeve/booster, I'm guessing I have to cut my Denix barrel down to about the length of the sleeve piece?

My parts package arrived today. Beautiful pieces. Can't wait to put it together. Does anyone have a good link to the build?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back