ANH / ESB Stormtrooper helmet / armour

When I spoke to Joiner a couple of years ago on the subject I got the impression he was totally against the idea of showing off his collection.

I thought this a little ironic given his original intention was to build "an independent collection to protect these iconic props for further generations". I presume therefore he meant to "preserve them for the chosen hand-picked few who would get the chance of seeing them"

As far as the LFL Archives Hero - I wondered if this was the helmet MR used as a basis for their new Hero helmet. If so its a shame they didnt just do a straight 1:1 copy since its the most iconic Hero helmet, featured in all the studio shots.

Cheers

Jez

Originally posted by ANH trooper@Dec 17 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Lee,

Do you happen to know if JJ has any more plans to show off his stuff?And just out of interest,which town/city do you live in?

-Paul.
[snapback]1138264[/snapback]​

Paul,

I have no idea mate.The shop he owned has since shut down and hes gone elsewhere.I live in Luton,Bedfordshire.I will try to dig the poster out tommorow for the exhibtion and hopefully someone can host it for me on here :)

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Dec 18 2005, 12:05 AM
When I spoke to Joiner a couple of years ago on the subject I got the impression he was totally against the idea of showing off his collection.

[snapback]1138270[/snapback]​

That really is sad.If I had a collection like that and the money he has I`d welcome any Star Wars fan in to see it and share the excitement.Something loved by so many people should not be locked away. His attitude really annoys me. :angry

Kind regards
Ben

Originally posted by voice in the crowd@Dec 17 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't think a screen used suit would ever reduce in value no matter how many copies were made. There are hundreds of replica ANH stunt helmets but the interest generated from the find of the two new Christies items was not diminished because of this. In fact two people wanted them so badly they both paid roughly £20,000 pounds each just for the privilege of owning them.

If I had the original ANH Vader helmet (something after your own heart I beleive) it wouldn't reduce in value because there are replicas (which there are more than a few).

If Joiner / Kurtz are not willing to show their items publicly how on earth are we to believe they even exist. I just think it is a shame that if such iconic cinema artifacts do exist they are basically doing nothing other than gathering dust (just a figure of speech).

Hi Chris,

You're probably right...I agree with you on all counts....good points...

:cheers,

Thomas

He has shown items before, usually at his shows...

cmania4.jpg

cmania3.jpg

I think that Luton exhibition was the largest.

Cameron Oakley's helmet is also ROTJ so not really on topic

Doesnt Oakley have a full ROTJ suit?

Id submit that is very much on topic as the pedigree is but a step away for many parts. A few modifications and what not and people immediately dismiss such things when in reality there are often excellant clues to incorporate.

I'll have to check my pictures but years ago i went to an Empire Day in the UK, and they had lots of stuff on show. Don't know who owned it all but on display was the baby ewok and 4-lom head as seen in that photo above. Will see if i can dig them out, and see if i managed to take any trooper photos. maybe it was this guys stuff?

Sorry no trooper. A TIE helmet, X-wing helmet, 4-lom head, taun taun horn, ewok, C3PO, and some cantina creatures.

Originally posted by LDR@Dec 18 2005, 05:51 AM
Sorry no trooper. A TIE helmet, X-wing helmet, 4-lom head, taun taun horn, ewok, C3PO, and some cantina creatures.
[snapback]1138530[/snapback]​
Could you share the pics you do have? :)

Originally posted by MonCal+Dec 19 2005, 08:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MonCal @ Dec 19 2005, 08:04 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-LDR
@Dec 18 2005, 05:51 AM
[snapback]1138530[/snapback]​
Could you share the pics you do have? :)
[snapback]1139119[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes,yes please share. :)

I managed to find out the poster for JJ exhibtion the other year.I have taken apic of it but cant host it so if anyone wants to host it for me then please send me an email:

lee.gordon27@ntlworld.com

The poster is quiet interesting as it states that there are original props on show etc.Whats more amusing is that he didnt charge for the privlage of seeing it ;)

Lee

Originally posted by _Lee_@Dec 19 2005, 06:51 PM
I managed to find out the poster for JJ exhibtion the other year.I have taken  apic of it but cant host it so if anyone wants to host it for me then please send me an email:

I'll host it for you mate... email sent :)

Cheers,
John

What surprised me more about JJ doing this particular exibition is that it was in small public museum,and if i had a collection of that size/scale i would never had left it in there for a few months.I would suspect he would have had a hell of a lot of security at this venue though as it really is a tiny place in the middble of a public park.

Lee

Here you go.... :)

tester.jpg

Thanks for sharing... still can't quite believe that it was free admission.

I was nosing around through old UseNet messages (amazing what you can turn up ;)) and came across a posting from someone who had attended the exhibit

Google Groups post about JJ Exhibit

According to the UseNet message, there was an original Stormtrooper costume at the event, but sadly doesn't specify which film it was from :(

I have NO IDEA why JJ doesn't put on some sort of semi-permanent Star Wars exhibit, as he'd make a fortune and make a lot of fans happy... maybe LFL / 20th Century Fox won't allow them to use the Star Wars name to promote such an event???

Cheers,
John

I remember this event. He had his Falcon cockpit mock-up on display there as well along with photos of it's construction.

Hate to say it but I don't think the trooper was original :( it was one of the suits he made from his trooper costume - which I think must have been Jedi judging by the ab/cod and the lower back/backside pieces, the helmet was fibreglass too.

I remember it being very familiar as I wore one of them at one of his events a long time ago. There was a thread here at one point concerning a JJ auction where one of these suits was up for grabs.

Jeremy

Originally posted by gonk27@Dec 19 2005, 08:28 PM
I remember this event. He had his Falcon cockpit mock-up on display there as well along with photos of it's construction.

Hate to say it but I don't think the trooper was original  :(  it was one of the suits he made from his trooper costume - which I think must have been Jedi judging by the ab/cod and the lower back/backside pieces, the helmet was fibreglass too.

I remember it being very familiar as I wore one of them at one of his events a long time ago. There was a thread here at one point concerning a JJ auction where one of these suits was up for grabs.

Jeremy
[snapback]1139403[/snapback]​

As some may know JJ was the owner/partner of OFFWORLD sci fi store whom this even was organised with.I remember Jeremy Bulloch was there around 2000 doing a personal signing and they had a guy dressed in a trooper uniform.I am more or less certain that was one of the 20th century fox issues used for the OT SE release.

However,the costume that i saw at the exhibtion was stated as being original,so unless JJ was trying to pull a fast one(not that it matters with the free admission ;) )then i cant understand why he would state it being original if it wasnt.I remember the other costumes, but as usual it was always the stormtrooper that blew me away.It did look aged,but seeing as i havent started to get into costumes/props until recently then i wouldnt have noticed any difference.

I would also think that much of the historical cinematic items at this show were more or less owned by Gary Kurtz.I honestly cant see him handing over ownership to JJ,buts thats not to say that he doenst own some of the stuff.

Lee

10) ANH Stunt Helmet LFL Archives
11) ANH Hero Helmet LFL Archives

Presumably these are the one that appeared in the Holiday Special?
(and a Burger Chef commercial, the Donny & Marie Show, etc)

Originally posted by gonk27@Dec 19 2005, 08:28 PM

You mean this one?
frontview.jpg

Thanks wackychimp.

-Paul.

Originally posted by ANH trooper+Dec 19 2005, 07:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ANH trooper @ Dec 19 2005, 07:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-gonk27
@Dec 19 2005, 08:28 PM

You mean this one?
frontview.jpg

Thanks wackychimp.

-Paul.
[snapback]1139532[/snapback]​
[/b]

what a piece of junk. JK

looks like a mixmatch of a TK, why are some parts yellowed and old looking while some are very white? not to mention, its a ROTJ TK with grey teeth.

why did they ever go black?

grey is so much cooler looking, and it makes the spaces in between the teeth more defined. notice the PT troops had grey teeth.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back