Amazing Spider-Man 2 build

imkewl

So I decided (a little too late) to start a thread on my own amazing spiderman 2 build. This is one of my first builds so any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of pictures but my updates will be pic heavy.

The first thing I did was make the lenses. I wanted to try to make all this stuff "in hose" so to speak. I saw some other threads about making lenses and figured Id combine a few techniques and some things I've learned from other builds. I started by tracing a picture of the lenses to size off of my computer monitor. I cut them out and retraced them onto a piece of card stock. Then I cut those out and taped them on to a piece of acetate and set it between two blocks to keep the bend in it. Next I covered the two stencils in fiberglass. Once it dried i peeled it off the acetate and shaved of the card stock with a razor. I used this awesome stuff I had from another project called apoxie sculpt. Its basically a two part compound that can be sculpted like clay. Its workable for about two hours then hardens completely in 24 hours. It comes in 1 or 4lb tubs and is pretty cheap and useful. Once they hardened I sanded them down until I liked it and painted them.

spiderman lens fabric.jpg
I found this bag at target purely on luck and thought it would look good for the inner lens. I placed the stencil that I traced for the frame over it and cut it out. I got another piece of acetate and cut it out the same way. I used super glue gel and glued the acetate to the frame, then the fabric.

spiderman lens.jpg
This was my final result and Im pretty pleased with it. I used a bit that was about 1/8" from my dremel to put a few holes in the back to glue in some neodymium magnets whenever they get here.

Next was the face shell. I had a plaster cast of my face laying around and decided to sculpt a face shell onto it. I used regular sculpting clay
face shell.jpg
Here's the sculpt with the lenses sitting on it

From here I would recommend using Smooth on rubber mold to get a mold of the face mask. I however decided to skip that and coat the clay in Smooth-cast 300. This ended up making a lot more work with trying to pry the face cast out of the polyurethane and clean out all of the clay. I also ended up with a really bumpy face shell.
face shell done.jpg
But after a few hours of sanding starting from 80 working to 150 I got it to look pretty good. I drilled some holes in it and voila

shell and lens.jpg
I tried on the face shell and lenses with a zentai suit and was pretty happy with the way it looked

Im still working on the webshooters but what Ive done so far is made a stencil with a piece of cardboard and covered it i apoxie scuplt to get a rough shape.
webshooter.jpg
Luckily my godfather happens to be a master wood carver and has agreed to help me carve these into shape.

Thats all I have for now. Im currently waiting on my Orhadar print to get here from fabric on demand. There website was a little confusing but these guys have been extremely helpful on helping me figure out what options I need to print this right. Ill post updates once I get my fabric

Those lenses look awesome, man! I think they turned out really well. And honestly, I think the faceshell - as it looks in that zentai mask, at least - is pretty spot-on, too. Is this your first time making in-house items like these?

Those lenses look awesome, man! I think they turned out really well. And honestly, I think the faceshell - as it looks in that zentai mask, at least - is pretty spot-on, too. Is this your first time making in-house items like these?

thanks man its good to hear someone else say that. Ive been harassing my friends asking them if it looked right haha. I was worried about the texture of the face shell but once I got it in the zentai i thought it looked pretty good. Yea this is the first time Ive made things like this I like how its going so far so Im pretty excited

thanks man its good to hear someone else say that. Ive been harassing my friends asking them if it looked right haha. I was worried about the texture of the face shell but once I got it in the zentai i thought it looked pretty good. Yea this is the first time Ive made things like this I like how its going so far so Im pretty excited
No problem! I know how that is, haha. I made just my lenses out of some stuff that one of my friends who's pretty crafty had around his garage. I kept asking my roommates what they thought of how hey turned out, lol. But wow. For a first time too, I'd say that's pretty darn impressive man. Cannot wait to see how the whole build turns out! :)

Quick unexciting update:

magnets.jpg

I put magnets in the lenses and face shell. Still carving the web shooters and the print should be here tomorrow so more updates should be coming soon

Last edited:
So the print got here today and its awesome
spiderprint.jpg
If you're thinking about getting an Orhadar print, do it. The color on this is perfect and the whole thing looks great.

I also started puffy painting it today
puffypaint.jpg
Thats about an hours worth of work. Im using Tulip navy blue with about three drops of black mixed in. I also plan on doing the webs using latex.
Thats all I have for now. I'll add more pics as I make progress

the puffy painting is done
puffy paint done.jpg
It actually didnt take that long, about 4 days total. I ordered latex for the webs and hopefully it will be here early next week

Great job with the puffy painting! Out of curiosity, are you going to go over the "seams" of the blue parts (the ones down the sides and around the crotch) with puffy paint or latex?

Great job with the puffy painting! Out of curiosity, are you going to go over the "seams" of the blue parts (the ones down the sides and around the crotch) with puffy paint or latex?

thanks! im not sure. in the movie and pictures it looks like its just the change in the direction of the bricks that make the "seams" stand out. i think im gona sew it first and if it doesnt look right ill paint it

Haven't put up an update in a while, been pretty busy. But I have gotten a lot done

webbing.jpeg
I couldn't really get a good picture of it but I finished the webbing. I went with a gray ashy color but in certain lighting it becomes glossy black or metallic silver. The latex worked out pretty good and there hasn't been any cracking so far.

I've also done a lot of baste stitching
sewing.jpeg
All thats left is getting the arms on which im having some difficulty with. Once thats done I can machine stitch everything and that should be it. I'll post another update once I finish basting

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back