Am I the only one that loves movies, but hates the theater experience???

I was long time movie going addict. I went to all the premieres of Star Wars, Indy, Star Trek, etc. I remember I would go every week to see Raiders, no matter if it was - 20C out.

Our last few times at the theatre were quite unpleasant. 30 to 45 min commercials, bleeding ears, migraines and even a barfing in the middle of The Two Towers. Thinking nothing could go wrong with a film like Fantastic Mr. Fox, we were the only couple in the theatre, along with a mom and her son who were both constantly going in and out every 15 mins. Very distracting. So now, we are home theatre addicts.

It's the endless commercials that drive me absolutely nuts. There are time I porously would go to a movie late when I knew there wouldn't be a crowd just so I wouldn't have to sit through them.

The old theater here isn't bad. Not too many people attend showings there, reason why it goes out of business every couple of years. lol

Never had a terrible experience. Though recently during Man of Steel some $^%*& was playing with that flashlight app on her IPhone (I say "playing" because, it looked like she wasn't using it for any valid reason) and shined it right in my bloody eyes.

But, I totally agree. You're not being grinchy in the slightest. People just need to be more considerate.

Last edited:
I haven't been to enough films to experience any naughty cell phone users, but that would definitely be another reason not to go. It's quite a shame. Going to the movies used to be really enjoyable. At least the trailers were no more than ten minutes.

I hate going to the theater as well. One funny/odd/last straw movie experiences was when I took my son to see Captain America.
We got there nice and early, picked some great seats, and waited for the show to start. Well, the theater starts filling up, and there are a few seats left, including one right next to me. This guy walks in, and for some reason, he's walking sideways up the aisle, head turned extremely to his left. He starts looking for a seat, and decides the one next to me is perfect. This guy sits next to me, and for the rest of the evening, sits with his face pointed directly at my head, while watching the film out of the corner of his eye.

I hope I explained this right, but basically the guy couldn't look forward, so I had to watch the film with this guy breathing directly into my face, trying to enjoy the film. Talk about a bizarre night at the movies.

Mike

I hate going to the theater as well. One funny/odd/last straw movie experiences was when I took my son to see Captain America.
We got there nice and early, picked some great seats, and waited for the show to start. Well, the theater starts filling up, and there are a few seats left, including one right next to me. This guy walks in, and for some reason, he's walking sideways up the aisle, head turned extremely to his left. He starts looking for a seat, and decides the one next to me is perfect. This guy sits next to me, and for the rest of the evening, sits with his face pointed directly at my head, while watching the film out of the corner of his eye.

I hope I explained this right, but basically the guy couldn't look forward, so I had to watch the film with this guy breathing directly into my face, trying to enjoy the film. Talk about a bizarre night at the movies.

Mike

I think he just liked you. :love

I went to see MoS today, I didn't. Get to go to one of my preferred theaters since I didn't have a lot of time, so I went to a closer one, carmike in Johnson City, TN (I'm mentioning the name so that you know to avoid it if in the area for whatever reason). The place is total crap, sound is weak, scrren is too small for theater size, was ice cold in there (I prefer it cool, but it was literally in the low 60's), the seats always feel "moist" and there's always a toilet overflowing in the bathroom (every single time, I even saw a turd float out into the floor once). I just don't undertsand why it sucks so bad, the theater is in a nice area, always plenty of customers. Just the worst management of a joint ever. The only other theater in the city is a 2nd run place and it's older, but still nicer. If another company would open up in the city, Carmike would be screwed.

So anyway, much prefer the home theater, 120" screen, great sound, recliners, endless popcorn, snacks, and soda, and just the wife and I. I can feel immersed in the film at home, carmike feels like I'm watching it on a floor model 80s tv, with rabbit ears, in a dirty basement.

...When did everyone become such an entitled jerk when it came to the theater???...
From my observation, it started at the same time "home entertainment centers" became so popular. People have gotten so accustomed to behaving however they want to while they're watching movies at home that they've forgotten about theater etiquette, and never bothered to educate their children about it.

Back to the main topic, I really enjoy seeing movies in a theater but have grown so tired of having to endure inconsiderate audience members that I'll usually only go to a theater now if the movie in question is one that should be seen on the big screen (i.e. movies that heavily feature visual effects like Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel) or any movie that I really want to see and don't want to wait until it comes to television. There was a time that I'd go to see two or three movies in the same weekend; these days it's rare for me to go to see more than one movie every two or three months.

It's the same thing all around the world it seems, except Canada :p ;)

I'll start going back to the movies right after theaters start enforcing them rules. Someone should educate the rude people of the "golden rule" *sigh*

I pay the IMAX premium so I can't hear any idiots talking. And normally average moviegoers don't pay the extra amount to sit in there, so it's been worth it so far the past 6 movies i've seen in "IMAX" (quotes meaning not a 'true industry' IMAX, but an IMAX upgraded auditorium with bigger screen and sound).

I thus far hate the moviegoing experience because of the dumb____s that rudely talk, text, or just make a lot of noise and don't care about watching a movie like it's their living room.

Bring on 4K tv's and some sort of "home release" box so I can watch them at home!

The last film I saw opening day was Hunger Games, because my girlfriend really wanted to. Since then I've refused to go opening day because of all the idiots. We were bored recently and decided to go see star trek into darkness again, and this time (almost 2 weeks after it opened) there was a guy talking on his phone for at least 20 minutes. He was at least trying to keep it quiet, but he failed. Had it been the first time I saw the movie I would have done something.

I love movies, and I love going to the theater to see them, but I hate dealing with the other people there.

I have 2 ideas on how to correct this:

1. We all start complaining about the rude behavior and demand a refund. Maybe the theaters will get serious about booting the 1 rude guy instead of refunding the 20 people he annoyed. I don't think this will work.

2. I wonder if it's possible to form "movie groups" where you get a group of conscientious people together and rent a whole theater showing so you can rule out the idiots. Maybe make it a prepay system, and if you're kicked out of the group you lose what you've put in so far.

I'm headed to the theater tonight to finally see Star Trek Into Darkness, and I'm really hoping for a few things from the experience:

1. No obnoxious chatty patrons and/or cell phone users.

2. Michael Giacchino's score to not SUCK.

3. Less hacky artificially added lens flare.

I find myself going to the theater less and less. Not so much because of a bad experience but there seem to be fewer and fewer good movies being made. I have 'Comic Book Hero' and VFX spectacle burnout. Plus all the movies seem the same, they lack the soul and creativity of the 60's 70's and 80' films. In my opinion Hollywood is dead as far as new and refreshing ideas, perhaps a victim of corporate greed?

Steven Spielberg And George Lucas Predict Gloom For Hollywood | Movie News | Empire

Plus I now have an awesome home theater so I'd just as soon wait and watch at home or enjoy my Blu-ray collection.

Last edited:
I think the main reason for going to the movies is just to get the heck out of the house for awhile. It's not the bigger screen or sound so much for me, it's just the experience of getting out and doing something. You can have a great home theater setup, but sometimes you just want to make an escape from the living room couch!

You're not the only one. Cinemas these days are a joke. Full of garbage food rip off prices rude staff and just a very soulless and depressing atmosphere.

It's big multiplexes with their crappy seats and awful generic decor,overly loud speakers and just no magic like in the old days.

UK cinemas are the worst. Especially cineworld and Odeon.

The only movies I would even bother to watch are those that have actual Imax film footage. In recent years I've only watched the last two batman movies and mission impossible four and star trek itd.

I absolutely hate the multiplexes.

I also hate the crappy digital fake Imax screens.

I'm lucky I live near one that does the real film Imax.

Last edited:
That's the other thing. Ticket prices around here are in the $9-$12 range per adult. People are paying so they can sit in a theater and not watch the movie???

tickets are a TAD more expensive in Sweden: $13- $21.5

21.5 is what I paid for Avatar in 3D. Dark Knight Rises was $18.5 which is also the last movie I saw in a theater.

overly loud speakers

yeah, no ****... HATE that. The worst that happened to me was when I went and saw Iron Man 2(ended up all alone in the theater :lol) during the fight towards the end I had to cover my ears because the explosions + shattering glass actually made my ears hurt :angry I was going to complain but all of the staff had disappeared :wacko

Well they are definitely compressing sound volume and just squashing all the audio its beyond ridiculous now.

The loudness war in music is now being copied for cinema.

...The loudness war in music is now being copied for cinema.
And sometimes both at once. In 2007 I went with friends to see Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and hated it because the theater had the volume set so loud that a) the sound system couldn't handle it, and we couldn't understand a word any of the actors sang, and b) the percussive pressure from the speakers made it feel as though we were being pummeled by Mike Tyson.

I only go to the movies these days if it's something I really want to see and not have to wait until it's out on DVD. Otherwise, I'd much rather sit in my recliner at home, sipping a rum and coke or enjoying pizza or something for dinner as I watch on my flat screen. Plus, I can pause when I have to lose some water weight and not miss a thing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back