Altered Carbon (Netflix)

I really enjoyed season 1 so I'm pretty pumped for this!

Just don't expect much continuity from S1. Assuming they follow the books fairly faithfully, there's going to be a time jump, a lot of different characters, and a completely different plot from S1. But, from what I've read, Poe will be appearing in S2, even though he wasn't in book 2, and Quellcrist Falconer as well.

Just don't expect much continuity from S1. Assuming they follow the books fairly faithfully, there's going to be a time jump, a lot of different characters, and a completely different plot from S1. But, from what I've read, Poe will be appearing in S2, even though he wasn't in book 2, and Quellcrist Falconer as well.

I actually like that idea. New actors and new story but we'll see!

A few photos from this article:

altered-carbon-season-2-b.jpg
altered-carbon-season-2-a.jpg

altered-carbon-season-2-c.jpg

I'm 3 episodes in, and I'm not loving it, though I want to. Mostly it's the dialogue. It's that stiff, mildly cliche B movie level writing where people expel exposition more than they talk to each other. Characters are obvious. And, I can't put my finger exactly on what else is bugging me, but the show seems less gritty, less adult, and much less dark in it's overall themes . . . so far. It's had some nice moments here and there. Anthony Mackie does not do nihilistic very well, but he's still watchable. Joel Kinneman had a certain swagger and "I don't care" quality that Mackie does not. For lack of a better way to say it, Mackie doesn't feel like an anti-hero. I really don't like that term, but I'm not sure how else to put it. Mackie's on screen presence is not menacing in the least. He's trying though.

I thought the first season was better but this season was just okay. After the first season, I couldnt wait for the second season but now I dont really care about a 3rd. I'm thinking of picking up the books though.

I haven't watched yet and I'm honestly not sure I want to. I went back and looked at my thoughts from the first season and I really wasn't that impressed with it. I'm not a fan of cyberpunk or dystopian stories so that's a couple of strikes against it already, but I just couldn't get into the visuals or the characters at all the first time through. I was going to start it tonight, now I'm rethinking that.

So I finished the second season, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't as gripping as the first season, but it also was a bit shorter, and wasn't trying to establish a world, or the rules for how things worked, so I'm not surprised it feels different.

I suspect they pulled the budget back a bit for this season. The sets felt smaller in both size and number. And the number of memorable cast members seemed severely cut back from the first season.

I think the biggest "problem" with season 2, is that season 1 was done so damned well. Looking back at season 1, I'm honestly astonished at how many different locations, characters, relationships, sub plots, full on flash back scenes, action sequences, revelations, and how much full on world building was crammed into it; and it never felt like the pacing was off, never felt bloated, never felt scatter brained. It was tight and wonderful.

To come from that into a season 2 that is simply "well done" makes season 2 feel underwhelming, when it really shouldn't feel that way, if it were taken independently.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back