Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Late addition here but has anyone IDd the belt buckle? I know it has the pic and greeblies but is the buckle itself a fabricated item?

Thanks

Richie

Late addition here but has anyone IDd the belt buckle? I know it has the pic and greeblies but is the buckle itself a fabricated item?

Thanks

Richie

I wasn't able to positively identify it, however, I believe it is a style of garrison belt buckle. Those of you familiar with the military, it's the standard Navy/Marine belt buckle. The buckle is tension held to one side of the belt, and then threads through and a tension bar holds it in place.

The pin on the buckle is the same as the ones from the jacket; there is a small set of blue W-Y wings at the bottom, mostly likely a sticker or a transfer (i used a clear printable shipping label). I don't know what the three greeblies are; if I had to guess it was something that came from the kit bashing build of the Nostromo. I used plastic 9V battery caps; it's a close match but not perfect. I haven't been able to get enough hi rez pics of the buckles to be sure. One of the promotion pics of Ash is the best I've seen.

Charlie

Rewatching the '79 cut.

A couple of things have jumped out so far (pardon the pun)

The only "dark" backed Nostromo patches I can pick out are on Ash's flightsuit during the EVA and Parker's jacket all of the others , including jackets seem to be the light backed ones.

Ripley's jacket (briefly seen in the engineering sequence) seems to be most similar to Lambert's (e.g, mil issue cold weather jacket liner esque)

Her jacket has the same flight wings as her flightsuit (as opposed to the big blue Weylan Yutani wings on her shirt in the breakfast scene)

And no one has ever done the red medical wings from the gowns as a patch.

Right. Back to the film, Kane is awake now, I'm sure he'll be fine …

NP

Last edited:
I've now got my Mk3 jacket (size 6 fits great, at £20 (about $33), an utter bargain too), getting patches and lacing sorted, I have the stencil for the nostromo lettering on the back.. So.. Question for any who "stencilled" ..

What were your choices for application technique (spray/brush??) and choice of colour and paint type for the lettering??

Advice from "those that went before" would be appreciated before I dive in.

Thanks
NP

The greeblies on the belt have been ID'd and are available.

I located the correct buckle for Dallas's costume and have it in hand.

The jacket stencils etc are available as well.

Stephen210 can direct you to these.

Richie

When laying down the stencil use a hair drier and squeegee to burnish down the edges nice and tight.

When I painted my jacket I sprayed a layer of flat clear to help seal the edges.
I tried spray paint but it didn't show up so just used a few coats of acrylic hand painted on.

I went with yellow on green.
7166487589_db1ccd8dd0_b.jpg

Hi All!

I was recently able to pick up a Mk3 after looking for a long time. The problem is it's a size 3, way to small for me. I think I'm more like a 5 or 6. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might be in need of this size that might want to do some trading. Of course my first preference is another Mk3, but I might be willing to consider other options.

Alas ProtoC, Mark 3 in small sizes are the most common, from my own experience you'll have a hard time finding a size 5, 6 or 7... Good luck !
(mine are size 4... A little short but keep in mind they were cut short anyhow.)

Fred

Alas ProtoC, Mark 3 in small sizes are the most common, from my own experience you'll have a hard time finding a size 5, 6 or 7... Good luck !
(mine are size 4... A little short but keep in mind they were cut short anyhow.)

Fred

Really?! What a total bummer! Ahhh.. I was so excited to get this Mk3, I've been really excited to put together a Nostromo uniform for a long time and my parents happen to be in England on a trip. I thought what better place to find one, and they did! It came from a guys house who was a chain smoker so when they got the jacket they payed a ton to have it cleaned to take the smell out (it worked, you wouldn't even know). Only downside is they said it was small... I didn't think it would be THAT small. I mean I'm not a tall or big guy (5'10'' 140 lbs) and it's too small for me. Who are all these tiny RAF guys? Maybe I could do it anyway? Mount it on the studio wall? That would be cool, right? I guess the search goes on.

Well, thanks for your help. I'm not giving up tho! If anybody can help, I would be SOOOO greatful.

Really?! What a total bummer! Ahhh.. I was so excited to get this Mk3, I've been really excited to put together a Nostromo uniform for a long time and my parents happen to be in England on a trip. I thought what better place to find one, and they did! It came from a guys house who was a chain smoker so when they got the jacket they payed a ton to have it cleaned to take the smell out (it worked, you wouldn't even know). Only downside is they said it was small... I didn't think it would be THAT small. I mean I'm not a tall or big guy (5'10'' 140 lbs) and it's too small for me. Who are all these tiny RAF guys? Maybe I could do it anyway? Mount it on the studio wall? That would be cool, right? I guess the search goes on.

Well, thanks for your help. I'm not giving up tho! If anybody can help, I would be SOOOO greatful.

Protoculture hi, at 5'10 and 140lbs you really need a size 7, based on the official MOD size chart for someone of your height, thats 182 - 190 cms, to fit a chest of 90-100cms size 8 182- 190cms chest 100-110cms. the size 7 & 8 are best suited to persons of 5ft9 -6ft2

If your parents are still in the Uk? they could check out hard-wear.co.uk based in Islington London. They sell lots of surplus MOD equipment including RAF mk3 flight jackets , these are the most recent issue grey/green sage/green and sell for £35. If your parents can't get there just contact them through their website www.hard-wear.co.uk they also sell through ebay.

Good luck
kane2122

Protoculture hi, at 5'10 and 140lbs you really need a size 7, based on the official MOD size chart for someone of your height, thats 182 - 190 cms, to fit a chest of 90-100cms size 8 182- 190cms chest 100-110cms. the size 7 & 8 are best suited to persons of 5ft9 -6ft2

If your parents are still in the Uk? they could check out hard-wear.co.uk based in Islington London. They sell lots of surplus MOD equipment including RAF mk3 flight jackets , these are the most recent issue grey/green sage/green and sell for £35. If your parents can't get there just contact them through their website www.hard-wear.co.uk they also sell through ebay.

Good luck
kane2122

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks kane! I really had no idea about the sizes, this is a huge help, last thing I want is to spend more money on something that doesn't fit. Alas, My parents are not in the UK anymore. I'll be checking this out for sure though. Do they ship overseas? I guess I'll go see for my self. Thanks Again!

Rewatching the '79 cut.

A couple of things have jumped out so far (pardon the pun)

The only "dark" backed Nostromo patches I can pick out are on Ash's flightsuit during the EVA and Parker's jacket all of the others , including jackets seem to be the light backed ones.

Ripley's jacket (briefly seen in the engineering sequence) seems to be most similar to Lambert's (e.g, mil issue cold weather jacket liner esque)

Her jacket has the same flight wings as her flightsuit (as opposed to the big blue Weylan Yutani wings on her shirt in the breakfast scene)

And no one has ever done the red medical wings from the gowns as a patch.

Right. Back to the film, Kane is awake now, I'm sure he'll be fine …

NP
The Ripley and Lambert jackets seem to have been produced for the film, based upon Tsarist Russian and Soviet telogreika military jackets, modified (as were the RAF Mk.III jackets, the Royal Army flightsuits worn by Ripley and Ash, the PF Flyers hi-top shoes etc.). Here is a pic of the Lambert jacket, post-film, and in Bob Burns' care. The third pic is a manequin, wearing amongst other gear, the telogreika winter coat which I mentioned. Perhaps you will see the similarity, between the Ripley and Lambert jackets and the WW2 Soviet coat.

Last edited:
Nostromo Shirt completed

Finally completed my nostromo shirt! I wanted to have a "bashed and wrinkled" look, and the polyester fabric does not really do that well...so I plain-out cheated. If you look closely you will see that all the detailing is done in a slightly different fabric (the only thing that gives it away is the fuzzies). I used a cotton fabric for all the detailing, because it shrinks in the dryer, pulls on the stitching, and ends up looking like it is a few months old. I did not use snaps for the front, but chose buttons that look sufficiently metal-ish. The base shirt is a Dickies polyester work shirt, and I found the pink bias tape online (and still available). I did not use traditional corded piping, just the flat bias tape itself (it is easier to work with). I hope it is sufficiently accurate to pass inspection by the members of this forum. Or at least look halfway cool...

Re: Nostromo Shirt completed

Turned out great! Agree on the wrinkling--plain white thick cotton shirts are hard to come by. I used bias tape on my jacket and i looks fine. I have some extra brass snaps if you're interested.

I did not use snaps for the front, but chose buttons that look sufficiently metal-ish.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back