Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Hello everyone, I updated nostromo patches with improved detail based on an original from the film. They are €8.50 euros each. here are some photos.http://
2009_09200004-1.jpg

I hope to do "darker navy" background nostromo patches to keep consistency, so both patches will identical except for background. Jeff

anyone care to offer up a link for alpha industries mk3 jacket? I'm so trying to get an RAF one on ebay and it's a cast iron B to get one in a size 8 or 9. skinjob in post #126 shows an alpha. I'm quite miffed at this. the patches are out there, the nostromo wording for the back is out there and I can't get a jacket. :(

Last edited:
You have to be either rich, lucky or patient. I recently got a next to new size 8 for 80.00 shipped but it took a few months. You have to get very creative in looking for mis-descriptions. For me it finally paid off. It's tough but not impossible. Good luck.

there is a god after all.

noted what you said about the price, checked my credit card and my flexible friend said go forth and spend. turns out the guy selling had another one in size 8 too. so I am waiting for it to arrive.

just hope to god it fits.

I just measured myself, I'm 43" in chest which is the upper limit for size 8. I really wonder if the arms will fit though, anyway, it is on its way.

by the way, did I read it right, somewhere in this thread someone mentioned they'd made their own lacings and were thinking about offering them to members?

I know its late, my brain is punchy, I might not be remembering right

thanks funky, I'm hopeful. by the way, for those people regarding the colour debate.

I happened to bump into a very old friend of mine I haven't seen for about 15 years since I left my ATC squadron. Considering he was the squadron quartermaster I buttonholed him on the Mark 3 jackets re colour etc seeing as he is still the quartermaster.

the bottom line is that he distinctly remembers that up to (he thinks later 70's early 80's) the jackets tended to be more of a dull (his words) grey/purple/brown.

I tried to pin him down to a specific colour but he didn't want to be so specific.

but he was definite that they WEREN'T olive drab. that is what they changed to, but that the green/olive varies from batch to batch.

so way back in this thread Merliner showed off one he had which was an original and a good colour match to the movie, it would seem to confirm that.

thanks funky, I'm hopeful. by the way, for those people regarding the colour debate.

I happened to bump into a very old friend of mine I haven't seen for about 15 years since I left my ATC squadron. Considering he was the squadron quartermaster I buttonholed him on the Mark 3 jackets re colour etc seeing as he is still the quartermaster.

the bottom line is that he distinctly remembers that up to (he thinks later 70's early 80's) the jackets tended to be more of a dull (his words) grey/purple/brown.

I tried to pin him down to a specific colour but he didn't want to be so specific.

but he was definite that they WEREN'T olive drab. that is what they changed to, but that the green/olive varies from batch to batch.

so way back in this thread Merliner showed off one he had which was an original and a good colour match to the movie, it would seem to confirm that.
Lancer the MK3 jackets worn by Kane and Dallas are original blue/grey issue jackets (22C/2574), the colour when viewed in daylight is as above, it is also described correctly as purple taupe on a colour chart.( Merliner ).
All RAF flight gear from that period was blue/grey in colour, 1947 to 1969. The green MK3 jackets started to appear in service 1967-1968, this was due to the adoption of Nato standardization in 1963, the RAF took the decision to slowly phase out the blue/grey issue kit and introduce the new green colour more in keeping with other Nato forces. The first of the new green MK3's had a sage/green, and grey/green colour (MOD description) and sported the same black buttons and unpadded pen pouch as the Dallas kane blue/grey MK3 jackets. These as previously stated were introduced into service to run parallel with the older blue/grey MK3's in 1967-68, on many RAF bases the old and the new could be seen being worn together.
The last production run of blue/grey MK3's was in 1969, although they were still being handed out and stockpiled in base stores, this continued until 1973 when they were finally removed and deemed obsolete kit, the green MK3's took preponderance, these now started to appear with the familiar green buttons we see today and the padded pen pouch.
Of course when the order to switch to all green kit came there were instances where this was'nt always adhered to, with some blue/green overalls and flight gear still being handed out, usually to reserve and technical personnel!
This generally was not encouraged with most of the remaining kit shredded and dumped in skips or used to mop up oil and hydraulic spillages.
If caught trying to save such items for yourself it was considered theft of Crown property with the risk of disciplinary or even a court martial! And a resounding no was the reply if asked if one could buy any obsolete gear.
This is why these particular jackets are so rare these days, the MOD practice of dumping and destroying perfectly good kit!
As for the jackets used in Alien, Ridley Scott and Tiny Nicholls probably preferred these older blue/grey MK3's due to the way they looked under the strip lighting on the nostromo set, as oppose to the available green version? With RAF Uxbridge and Heston just a few miles from Shepperton studio's it would have been easy for Tiny to visit and procure these from the stores or save from the base skip! thank goodness for that. Hope this clarifies the origin and history of the humble MK3.

Brilliant, well said. i agree, Ridley and Tiny seen the better colour and went with these , it is a lovely colour, only snag they are bloody scarce now. i'm gonna experiment changing a green mk3 to the purple taupe and change zips to silver, buttons to black, and button support strip to grey, see if it works, I'll keep records of what i do. Jeff (merliner)

well my jacket arrived. it's a size 8 ex army air corp (see wings till attached) used so I don't even have to weather it, its in to wash now but fits fine.

I'm wearing quite a thick jumper there so more than enough room for me and I'm 6'2.5" tall with a 44 going on 45" chest. brill.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back