ABC Lifesize head from scratch...

I hav'nt used it before..but I know alot of guys here do...I think its like styrene...basically pvc/ plastic sheets that come in different thicknesses and are easy to cut, glue, and trim, and sand, and I guess you can warm it up and mold it..and paint it etc....so I guess you could say plastic balsa wood..

like I said....I havn't used this so I'm sure someone else can give you better info..
but I would think it would be something you would want to use on this project...
do you have any rough measurements for how big you made the head??

One of my favorite robots out there, I wish they would have shown more of him in the film.

I've been lucky enough to poke and prod around on the real thing... and it's massive in person.. Definately an awesome piece to see "in the flesh" as it were, hehe.

One of these days I'm going to get started on my head kit as well.... I finished the little one, now I just need to do the big one..

I also planned on attempting an ABC bust from scratch one of these days... the film had a suprising amount of really strong designs. Can't wait to see this puppy finished :D

I hav'nt used it before..but I know alot of guys here do...I think its like styrene...basically pvc/ plastic sheets that come in different thicknesses and are easy to cut, glue, and trim, and sand, and I guess you can warm it up and mold it..and paint it etc....so I guess you could say plastic balsa wood..

like I said....I havn't used this so I'm sure someone else can give you better info..
but I would think it would be something you would want to use on this project...
do you have any rough measurements for how big you made the head??

Well, the molding would be a major advantage when doing the curved back of the head. Ofcourse it then also has to be able to stretch.

Hope somebody pitches in on the subject. The name is propably different here in Holland, so I don't know if I can get hold of it. But thanks very much for your 2 cents.

:thumbsup

Oh, another thing. One major advantage would be the flat surface ofcourse. Balsa is also pretty flat as is, but it needs some priming and maybe filling.

@ PHA, thanks man.

@ Aegis, Oh how I would like to see the real thing, and might I add, take tons of pictures of it.
So you finished the Tsukuda or a recast? And do you mean your own head kit or the GA one?

Originally posted by fettster@Feb 3 2006, 06:47 PM
fanstatic, stunning, amazing, superb and all of the above
[snapback]1175158[/snapback]​

I gotta agree. The design of the judge dredd movie was fantastic, and this head construction looks spot on.

I can't wait to see it completed.

Jee, thanks...

Well, I don't think it's spot on yet.

It is rather difficult to use the model, images from the film and pictures of the recast kit to make it into one good looking prop.

The comparison photo proofs that. There you see the eyes need to be more cubic and the lower jaw seems a bit to bulky all of a sudden.

And if I ever get to compare it to the real thing or the recast, there will always be differences ofcourse.

But the goal should be a 'good as I can looking remake'.

:D

I'm having trouble finding a good electric saw for minor bucks...

Any of you woodworkers out here with tips?

Brands, features needed?

I know I want a dustblower on it and a guidingrail + being able to saw under an angle.

Thanks. :thumbsup

A little recap of what was done recently...

The eyebrows are brought back a little by cutting of a small part above the nose. I had to gently remove the already glued pieces.
This way the catlike eyes are now much better and less catlike, duh.

abc88.jpg

Fixed the right eyebrow in the proces, piece of thick cardboard in the back to straighten it out again.

abc90.jpg

Decided not to go all the way with the cheeks. Totally easier to do when it's wood.
Judging from some more recent reference material I got, a great frontal shot from the Cinefex issue, it's not that bad.

Cinefex5050.jpg

One piece back in place.

abc89.jpg

I'm giving the rounded back of the head a shot.
Just because it's fun and good practise also for later on.
The first bracing.

abc92.jpg

Another small piece to somewhat level it with the front of the head.

abc93.jpg

More needed...

abc94.jpg

Soft first layer of cardboard to give it skin.

abc95.jpg

The 'double' rounded upper and lower parts will be more of a challenge.

abc97.jpg

Untill next time...

It's slow for now.

Other priorities I'm afraid.

When the weather is better and warmer I will start the wooden version.

And ofcourse I'll post it here.

Thanks for ur support.

Well, finally some time again. It's been some year...

I needed balsa in big sheets, but those are hard to find (that's not what kept me away for nearly a year mind you).
Decided to glue the standard 10cm wide sheets toghether (thanks to a "duh" tip from a moddeling forum).

Stack of balsa, 1,5 mm and 2 mm. The 2mm is used for the actual shape and the 1,5 is used for the detailling.
It will become clearer when I make more progress. Oh and glue ofcourse, smells good...

abc102.jpg

Press the two sheets firmly toghether, put some masking tape on.

abc104.jpg

Flip it over and open sesame... Aplly the glue, close again and let it dry.

abc106.jpg

Almost seemless. I need to prime sand, putty and what not anyway.
But the sheeting is essential to make it tight and sharp.

abc107.jpg

Head and jaw fit in the 30cm sheet.

abc100.jpg

Not much, but it's a start again. Already sidetracked about the pistons in the jaw.
I need to figure out where to attach them (to) in order to glue toghether the balsa parts made after the paper and cardboard version.

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Sep 30 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]1329500[/snapback]</div>
Glad this is back on the workbench. :thumbsup
[/b]

Just to echo the above and add a Woohoo.. :thumbsup

I started my bust thanks to you, but lack the time at the moment to work on him.
I hope you have an easier time than me going this route as I struggle my little butt off to get where I am with it now.

I hope you'll post a blow by blow build diary, just so I can nick, did I say nick?.... I mean borrow some of your ideas :angel .

Can I ask if you have any good pictures of his eyes?. I cant find any, anywhere.

Just incase your interested here's my build so far.... Hammer .

I delete the above if you feel im invading.

Glad to see your back on it and I cant wait to see your progress. :thumbsup :thumbsup

SirRound,
Excellent work your doing there. I'm glad you spared yourself the money of purchasing one of Golden Armor's kits, they really are garbage, I have one, I know. The amount of work your putting into scratchbuilding your ABC warrior head is just about the same amount of work you'd have to do to get the GA head in decent condition. All of his kits are just aweful.
Keep up the excellent work,
Scott

<div class='quotetop'>(SiR-ROUND @ Feb 2 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]1174158[/snapback]</div>
@ Aegis, Oh how I would like to see the real thing, and might I add, take tons of pictures of it.
So you finished the Tsukuda or a recast? And do you mean your own head kit or the GA one?
[/b]

DOH. Just saw this.
Hehehe pictures are one thing I have yet to take of it and I've climbed on it several times now..

I finished the Tsukuda version. Took it to the IPMS nats many moons ago and brought home Best in Category for it..

As for which head, I honestly haven't decided. In deference to what Scott just posted, I've seen one of the head kits from GA and it wasn't that particularly bad. Oh don't get me wrong, It definitely wasn't the cleanest casting job, but I've definitely dealt with worse pieces before.... Hehehe I guess it all comes down to what your tolerance level is.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back