A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Retcons :facepalm

First, ALIEN3 WAS RETCON GALORE!

Second, if an alien product that was made out of a labor of love is what's important to you, why stick with ALIEN3 that was made with no love at all?

Thing about James Cameron is that he wanted to play in the Alien IP sandbox even though his friends told him that he should stick with his own IP. But he wanted to do it. He loved Alien so much and had this huge idea on where he could take the series that he wrote, directed and partially deigned it himself.

That's kind of the vibe I'm getting with Neill here. He clearly loves the first two films and has a vision on where he would like the alien franchise to go that's not dictated by studio or actor's wishes.

I see some some kinda dumb plot issues, but how was A3 retcon galore?

As for NB, I think you are right that he is passionate about the property, but whether he has anything original to contribute remains to be seen.

Alien³ definitely had some problems when it came to hardware and set design consistency when it came to the Sulaco but it didn't exactly retcon anything story wise, although many people seem to think it did just because the story didn't go the way they wanted it to.

The fanboy part of me wants to hyperventilate, but how often does this fan service stuff actually satisfy? I mean, we all wanted Boba Fett in the PT too...besides, there's something appealing about how top to bottom nihilistic Alien 3 is. The heroes have to die sometime.

I'm not against the heroes dying in some cases, but I think some guarded optimism is ok in this instance. I mean, Hicks could still bite it in this one. I could also see Hicks just being this embittered washout, but one of the few combat-trained marines who survived an encounter with the xenomorphs. Ergo, his experience would be quite valuable. Same reason they brought Ripley on the mission to LV-426 -- they wanted someone with actual experience.

P.S. You REALLY should read Aliens: Book 1 for one possible direction this could go.

I see some some kinda dumb plot issues, but how was A3 retcon galore?

As for NB, I think you are right that he is passionate about the property, but whether he has anything original to contribute remains to be seen.

The plot issues are kind of retcons themselves, or at least are contrivances that don't jive with what's shown in the previous film which exist solely to write various characters out of the story as expediently as possible. We also see new information introduced that had no relevance or bearing on previous information (e.g. the dog/cow alien looking different from human-spawned aliens -- which can be made to make sense, but hadn't been addressed at all before). To my way of thinking, the biggest "retcon" is the queen having the time and the ability to lay an egg on the landing craft in the first place, when we'd already seen her egg sac detach previously. It's that event which allows anything in Alien3 to actually occur, and it just doesn't make any sense. She's clearly laying eggs using the egg sack on the colony, and it's clearly a slow process. Those eggs are clearly destroyed by Ripley when she first confronts the queen. So...what the hell?

I mean, yeah, you can explain it away. That's what retcons do. The point is, a retcon has to explain it away. It doesn't just obviously follow based on what you were shown. It's also an emotional "cheat" of sorts, which completely undermines the film that came before.

Retcon: Retroactive continuity. This is not present in Alien 3.

If we are talking tropes, the Alien Queen/Egg thing would be considered a plot hole, or, at best, Diabolus Ex Machina. A3 may be guilty of some inconsistencies in characterisation (the Bishop thing, maybe) and mythology (the Alien just kills) but retcons...not seeing it.

I'm not against the heroes dying in some cases, but I think some guarded optimism is ok in this instance. I mean, Hicks could still bite it in this one. I could also see Hicks just being this embittered washout, but one of the few combat-trained marines who survived an encounter with the xenomorphs. Ergo, his experience would be quite valuable. Same reason they brought Ripley on the mission to LV-426 -- they wanted someone with actual experience.

P.S. You REALLY should read Aliens: Book 1 for one possible direction this could go.

The plot issues are kind of retcons themselves, or at least are contrivances that don't jive with what's shown in the previous film which exist solely to write various characters out of the story as expediently as possible. We also see new information introduced that had no relevance or bearing on previous information (e.g. the dog/cow alien looking different from human-spawned aliens -- which can be made to make sense, but hadn't been addressed at all before). To my way of thinking, the biggest "retcon" is the queen having the time and the ability to lay an egg on the landing craft in the first place, when we'd already seen her egg sac detach previously. It's that event which allows anything in Alien3 to actually occur, and it just doesn't make any sense. She's clearly laying eggs using the egg sack on the colony, and it's clearly a slow process. Those eggs are clearly destroyed by Ripley when she first confronts the queen. So...what the hell?

I mean, yeah, you can explain it away. That's what retcons do. The point is, a retcon has to explain it away. It doesn't just obviously follow based on what you were shown. It's also an emotional "cheat" of sorts, which completely undermines the film that came before.

Retcon: Retroactive continuity. This is not present in Alien 3.

If we are talking tropes, the Alien Queen/Egg thing would be considered a plot hole, or, at best, Diabolus Ex Machina. A3 may be guilty of some inconsistencies in characterisation (the Bishop thing, maybe) and mythology (the Alien just kills) but retcons...not seeing it.

Ok, I can see that.

Suffice to say, they introduced stuff that seemed to be a major plot hole, and for a purpose that was largely unappreciated by the audience.

We all know they planted the seeds for 3 and 4 being a dream back in '92 - the Sulaco logo magically turning from black to white, the complete redesign of the hyper sleep pods - all just constructs in Ripley's head ;)

We all know they planted the seeds for 3 and 4 being a dream back in '92 - the Sulaco logo magically turning from black to white, the complete redesign of the hyper sleep pods - all just constructs in Ripley's head ;)

Face huggers having somehow hitched a ride with the Queen in the landing gear housing... nightmares of the worst sort!

Since Blomkamp's stated this movie won't contradict the last two I really hope he can come up with something more exciting and imaginative than it all being a dream. A dream would not explain how Ripley and Hicks get thirty years older anyway unless they come back to Earth, lead quiet lives for thirty years, and are suddenly called back into action for what is sure to be a totally believable reason. I guess they could always use computers to de-age them, that always looks authentic.

Here, maybe this will help. When NB says he won't contradict 3 and 4, hear it this way: "I'm not going to toss out 3 and 4, but I'm going to toss out 3 and 4."

I have one big misgiving.
Neil can realize the visuals but he has yet to demonstrate a capacity (or interest) in writing/directing for an ensemble cast. I feel like the adept use of ensemble characters is an essential feature of the first two films and very few directors today can do it well (Joss Whedon being at the top of that list IMO). I feel like we're going to have the standard singular arc with one or two central protagonists.

please, Neil. Make me wrong.

Ah, I have a better explanation.

Sims. All of these were sims. Or maybe even in-universe films made as speculative works based on publicizing what happened on LV-426. Maybe the xenomorphs have taken over earth, maybe LV-426 has become a prison colony and source of xenomorphs with the military again trying to control and weaponize them. The comics are full of these kinds of "tame the alien/understand the alien" stories. Anyway, the stuff in these films could be sims, videogames, movies, etc., none of which ever actually happened. No need whatsoever to make it a dream and here comes Bobby out of the shower.

Here, maybe this will help. When NB says he won't contradict 3 and 4, hear it this way: "I'm not going to toss out 3 and 4, but I'm going to toss out 3 and 4."

God I hope so. That and Prometheus, for that matter.

Maybe he's talking in a literal sense. By saying that his films won't undo ALIEN3 and A:R, he basically means that his movie won't magically cause those two movies to literally be undone as though they were never made. That's just impossible. So even if his Alien movie ignores the story of ALIEN3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION, that won't stop them from still existing.

Following Ripley and Hicks' return to earth, Weyland Yutani mercenaries go to LV-426 and retrieve the derelict and Alien eggs. The xenos are cultivated in a third world shanty town where the company try and fail to weaponise them. Meanwhile, Ripley, Hicks and Newt eke out a bleak existance in a third world shanty town having been discredited and ridiculed by WY, who have, in fact, turned 3/4 of the world into a third world shanty town by exploiting and exhausting all of the world's resources.

WY executives have fled the Earth to Gateway station where they carry out evil experiments and live in luxury. When Newt gets sick, Ripley discovers that Weyland Yutani have developed a micaculous serum from xeno DNA that cures all sickness, but won't share it because they are evil and hate poor people. Hicks and Ripley travel to the Xeno town where they team up with the Xenos and unearth the derelict, which is buried under the town for some reason.

They travel to Gateway where a badass battle breaks out between the WY security and the xenos. In the midst of the carnage, Ripley makes for the medical centre with Hicks to get the serum. They are waylaid by an uber-badass psycho South African mercenary who just likes killing folk with his Power-Loader style mechsuit. Ripley breaks out her secret weapon, a biomechanical battle-suit given to her by the xeno queen, and a really, really, badass battle takes place between the two.

Hicks gets the serum, Gateway is about to blow up, Ripley is still fighting Sharlto Copley. Hicks gets back to the derelict and flies into space, just as Gateway detonates. Ripley is dead, sadface. But no, the xeno suit allows her to survive in a vacuum, and she is plucked from space and re-united with Hicks, and probably some other plucky scientist guy we don't really care about.

Back on earth, Newt is cured, the xenos have all been destroyed on Gateway, and plucky scientist guy discovers the alien serum can restore the planet to a verdant paradise.

The end. Except, cute robot, who is also badass.

Following Ripley and Hicks' return to earth, Weyland Yutani mercenaries go to LV-426 and retrieve the derelict and Alien eggs. The xenos are cultivated in a third world shanty town where the company try and fail to weaponise them. Meanwhile, Ripley, Hicks and Newt eke out a bleak existance in a third world shanty town having been discredited and ridiculed by WY, who have, in fact, turned 3/4 of the world into a third world shanty town by exploiting and exhausting all of the world's resources.

"Third world shanty town" just kills me, Birdie.

You forgot that at some point near the end an alien needs to get flushed out an airlock. It would help with the symmetry.

It didn't miss my attentions in 1986 that Cameron simply retold the exact same ending as ALIEN. I did feel just a bit cheated by that.
Computer voice oountdown to a huge explosion, innocent threatened, rescue of innocent, strobe lights and steam, dramatic escape, fake defeat of creature, oh surprise it's back, battle with improvised weapon, out the airlock, back to bed.
Of course now I know a little more about how Cameron goes about things than back then.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back