89 Batarang and Smoke Capsules / Paragon FX Group

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We were discussing everything from Goonies to 66 Batman in the other thread; thought we might do a dedicated one
for the newer 89 Batarang & Smoke Capsules.

Let's start with the 89 Batarang since you've probably already seen the smoke capsule protos.

What a deceitfully simple prop. At a glance, not much to it. How much could a few angles and some ribs really alter its appearance? Kinda, "seen one seen 'em all" kinda prop, right? Admittedly, I thought the same and had no real interest in making the thing. It's been done a lot and there are more coming. Plus, why do it if we can't really set it apart from what's been done, blah, blah, blah. Just wasn't feeling it...

This is around the time I was talking with a friend (Matt Munson) about a great many thing (men of science and all that) and we started up on the 89 Batarang. We spent some time discussing how one particular sculpt somehow became the DeFacto piece over the last 20 years; it's pretty much what everyone gets their reference from, etc. Anyway, he tells me he'd really obsessed over this thing and has a fantastic sculpt. I'm like, cool, what's different?

Suffice it to say, I begin to warm to the idea. I mean, we'd already done the grapnel, the smoke capsules are in production, and this could give us the chance to make this feel like a real set of tools. Something in your minds-eye you could pick up off of Batman's bench. (That's how I think, anyway)

So, I get my tutorial on this thing because I'm slammed with other projects and I'm like, okay...I see it, I like it; let's do it.

Anyway, here's the first peek at our 89 Batarang. It's double sided, it's all metal, it's full-size and if you're familiar with the prop, you'll see it's actually different.

So, Matt's passion really pushed this one forward. Personally speaking, that's what it's really all about. If you're going to do a piece, you should love it if you plan to do it right.

More details soon and a big thank you to Matt for jumping on board with Team Paragon to see this one through. (y)

Quick peek below. More soon.

batarang_comingSoon (2)orig.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaand, just in case you haven't seen the capsules. Steel, glass and acrylic! Will ship in tech case, like the grapnel.

sc2.jpg

Thanks! I'm sure Matt will jump in sooner or later and get into a good bit of that. (y)

Alright, so getting the obvious question, does it fold? No, it does not. Here's why...

We see a fixed open position, flat-back and a double-sided Batarang in the film. We also see a little flick of the folding Batarang with zero additional details. We don't know what's truly in there. Could be a strip bungee, neoprene, leather, duct tape, chewing gum, who knows what's holding those pieces together to complete that scene with the help of a few cuts/movie magic.

Yes, the piece can be done in plastic with some hinges. Solid metal is a different animal. Sure, it could be done, taking a best guess and tossing in some hinges but to truly do it right, it would be costly. More costly than most would be willing to spend. Since we don't want rackety and semi acceptable, we can't do exemplary and over the top for hundreds of dollars, either. Sure, a couple people would buy it but, in the end, most would fail to appreciate the value; simple as that.

So, while we have those that will say, "I'd buy it if it folded" they'd be the first to then say they'd only buy it if it were cheaper. We get it. Most do not understand what it takes to produce licensed product on a large scale. We're trying to share a bit of that as we go.

With all that, we know there were fixed, open position Batarangs. We've included the surface details present on those and also made it double sided. Add that it's solid metal and we're on our way to what will be a cool, reasonably priced replica with some additional details that many have missed. So, yep. A good time to be a collector. Lots of flavors to choose from. Just adding ours to the mix.

Last edited:
It'll be really nice to finally have this done in the right size and form and material. I've been obsessing over this this for 30 years!

I fully support seeing this done as a solid piece. Having it fold with the elastic bungee cord hinges would not would not make for a satisfying toy in hand. It would be an awkward bendy floppy thing in real life. The plastic toy version folds well only because it's made of lightweight plastic that can house magnets..

Just a couple quick notes on a couple details that popped out right away.
I do think that the "ears" on the prototype are a bit too rounded over. They stay flatter than one would think and terminate in a nice tight chamfer creating a sharp flat triangle shape.

I also think the shape on the outer "barb" deppression is a bit off. Should be a nice circular "scoop".

1684002640458.jpeg

1684002911038.jpeg

1684002924829.jpeg

1684002673319.jpeg

And an Illustrator diagram I built years ago when thinking bout tackling this thing to better show what I'm talking about.
1684003272930.jpeg

Awesome project. Can't wait.

I think one big problem with elastic is that it will wear out pretty quickly and won’t stand up to the quality of the rest of the piece. And also what Rylo said about the elastic effect only really working because of the lightness of a resin prop. It won’t be the same quick spring opening on a heavier metal piece.

The lack of folding doesn't bother me - I'd display it open anyway. I like that Paragon's version features the two end blades that actually look sharp, instead of rounded or blunt.

Yes, they definitely did make a folding batarang for the movie. Yes, it was clearly shown in a bts gif, and even in the movie.
I've had the pleasure of owning various resin versions of the folding batarang that a few have made over the years. Some put a sheet of rubber to make snap open. Some have used bungee cord.

There are pros and cons to the various versions that members have made over the years (folding and otherwise). Some are only one sided, some have incorrect details, some are undersized, some don't have the asymmetrical "cut lines" that show where it should have folded.
Stacey Props did make one (or two, depending on if you want to count the different versions) that is pretty nice - I personally think that it is a bit fat compared to the prop used in the movie. It's made of resin, and those who have one should be proud to own one.

Some of the pieces that I have are almost 15 years old, and I can definitely say that over the years, even storing them in the most optimal conditions for rubber/elastic, they have lost a bit of their "snappiness" over the years. Some rubber has become so brittle that I'm sure if I fold it one more time, it'll break into 4 pieces.

There is unfortunately no way I can think of, or no material that we can suggest to Paragon to make a folding batarang that will ensure it'll last for a decade or more to come. At least, no solution that would be true to the original prop which used elastic cords as well. Having a metal batarang would obviously be too heavy for any elastic cords to support, and it would probably end up being a floppy mess. Even the original prop that was simply resin couldn't rest flat on a table. The last thing I would want in 5-10 years is elastic to start loosening up and me ending up with a 4 piece batarang windchime.

One piece, all metal, with all the right details (finally) is the way I would prefer a prop for my collection to ensure that I can still play with it for years to come.

Last edited:
It'll be really nice to finally have this done in the right size and form and material. I've been obsessing over this this for 30 years!

I fully support seeing this done as a solid piece. Having it fold with the elastic bungee cord hinges would not would not make for a satisfying toy in hand. It would be an awkward bendy floppy thing in real life. The plastic toy version folds well only because it's made of lightweight plastic that can house magnets..

Just a couple quick notes on a couple details that popped out right away.
I do think that the "ears" on the prototype are a bit too rounded over. They stay flatter than one would think and terminate in a nice tight chamfer creating a sharp flat triangle shape.

I also think the shape on the outer "barb" deppression is a bit off. Should be a nice circular "scoop".

View attachment 1700903

View attachment 1700905

View attachment 1700906

View attachment 1700904

And an Illustrator diagram I built years ago when thinking bout tackling this thing to better show what I'm talking about.
View attachment 1700907
Awesome project. Can't wait.

Nick! You're one of the old timers that have been asking for this for over a decade! I still remember your post and drawings from the Brotherhood of the Bat. It's great to know that we may finally get an accurate batarang.

Pure Arts is releasing one with their cowl soon. Theyhave this included with their exclusive. The trenches are right but might be a little too roundmaybe. I’d like to add both to my collection. Variety is nice.
IMG_0373.jpeg

What about a doing a one sided. It never folded, it was used in the movie and you can clearly see it but most of all if you can nail the details this would be the closest representation to the screen used prop. The thing is people want functionality on these and with the double sided batarang it folded so they will want it to fold. Now the one sided was solid and did not fold so that could be a selling point. Screen accuracy is what prop collectors love right? I would definitely buy a one sided to display next to my folding one. Just my opinion though. Very excited to see this get done.

We were discussing everything from Goonies to 66 Batman in the other thread; thought we might do a dedicated one
for the newer 89 Batarang & Smoke Capsules.

Let's start with the 89 Batarang since you've probably already seen the smoke capsule protos.

What a deceitfully simple prop. At a glance, not much to it. How much could a few angles and some ribs really alter its appearance? Kinda, "seen one seen 'em all" kinda prop, right? Admittedly, I thought the same and had no real interest in making the thing. It's been done a lot and there are more coming. Plus, why do it if we can't really set it apart from what's been done, blah, blah, blah. Just wasn't feeling it...

This is around the time I was talking with a friend (Matt Munson) about a great many thing (men of science and all that) and we started up on the 89 Batarang. We spent some time discussing how one particular sculpt somehow became the DeFacto piece over the last 20 years; it's pretty much what everyone gets their reference from, etc. Anyway, he tells me he'd really obsessed over this thing and has a fantastic sculpt. I'm like, cool, what's different?

Suffice it to say, I begin to warm to the idea. I mean, we'd already done the grapnel, the smoke capsules are in production, and this could give us the chance to make this feel like a real set of tools. Something in your minds-eye you could pick up off of Batman's bench. (That's how I think, anyway)

So, I get my tutorial on this thing because I'm slammed with other projects and I'm like, okay...I see it, I like it; let's do it.

Anyway, here's the first peek at our 89 Batarang. It's double sided, it's all metal, it's full-size and if you're familiar with the prop, you'll see it's actually different.

So, Matt's passion really pushed this one forward. Personally speaking, that's what it's really all about. If you're going to do a piece, you should love it if you plan to do it right.

More details soon and a big thank you to Matt for jumping on board with Team Paragon to see this one through. (y)

Quick peek below. More soon.

View attachment 1700593
Any updates on the '89 Batarang?

Perhaps leading to a '95 Sonar Batarang as well

Smoke Capsules up for preorder!

Got my spot reserved. I'm very curious how they compare to the metal set I got from Germanbat over on the BOTB board years ago, just size wise. The ones I have are 5.55" long, which I suspect are a bit large.

I’d be happy to swap out the set in my vault door for the Paragon ones.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back