89 Bat Grapple (Modular Utility Unit) / 66 Bat Shield, Goonies adventure set, etc.

What other Batman items could be in the works? *Cough* Sonar Batarang *Cough*
I love that piece, too! Will probably be making an announcement very soon with regard to more Bat Goodies.
Awaiting the 66 Bat-Cuffs right now. They're on the way.

Received the 89 Grapnel today. It is very slightly larger than the SD Studios one, but overall better made. The Bolo attachment is very nice. Very happy with this.

First impressions vs the SD Studios:
ParagonFX's has sharper edges, finer and more accurate details, a freer spinning cable reel disc, a stronger trigger spring (though that could just be the age of my SDS), a better grip in the barrel on the dart. On the reverse side, the SDS silver folding handle plate is a shinier polished metal, and on the Paragon it's more of an anodized texture.

Honestly, the only reason I might *not* sell my SDS gun at this point is because Valor's attachments just happen to fit perfectly on the SDS hand unit, and the Paragon's attachment pins are just a teensy bit too large for perfect attachment compatibility. However, I love the metal Bolo.

I've had about 5 different 89 Grapnels, including both fan replicas and mass produced ones, and the ParagonFX one is my favorite.

Oh yeah... and the forward geared "chamber" on the ParagonFX hand unit spins freely too!

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Just received a shipping notice for mine from TBBTS. I too have an SD studios unit. My plan was to display both but one with the Bolo attachment.

I looked at the bolo attachment in the junkyard that fits the SD studios unit but I wanted a metal BOLO vs PLA/Resin

Looks like the dart in the photo is more flared as well. Great comparison photo

Last edited:
The Paragon Bolo kind of fits on the SD hand unit. The hole on the Bolo is a bit too large, so if you hold it up, it sags a bit. But for a static display, you could absolutely make it work.

Now that I've had it a few weeks, there's a few other differences I've noticed in the two. The Paragon's edges are a little sharper, and it's particularly noticeable on the reel section. The SD just has a softer rounded edge. I'm not sure which way is more accurate, but I might very slightly prefer the SD's softer edges there.

Also the SD is painted a darker, more blacker black. I'd say the Paragon is more like a very, very dark grey. Maybe it's just slightly more matte vs the SD being more of a satin finish? It's subtle.

I'm keeping both. I just have to decide which one goes into my vault door display.

Addressing a couple points of curiosity.

Paragon's Grapnel is anodized satin black. We wanted a more durable finish. (y)

Every part of the grapnel is indeed machined metal.

Thanks for the compliments!

Awesome. Definitely an improvement, since I can see a few places where the paint has chipped off on my SD.

Has anyone attempted/ succeeded at making a grapple that fires a cable of some kind. I'm not talking about being functional as in it could support the weight of an adult to swing on, but just as a prop that would emulate the action of firing a small hook on a string or cable?

The filming prop most likely had an air hose attached to a supply tank. Also it’s clear in every firing shot, the cable is off to the side of the gun and doesn’t come out of the barrel with the spear. Movie magic I’m afraid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back