6 foot N-1 Naboo Starfighter restoration

Nvm, just found one after I googled "Anakin theed 12 inch". They made an Anakin naboo starfighter pilot, but I'm afraid that he may look to small once I have it all together. Maybe not, what do u guys think?
I know I shouldn't be thinking so far ahead but it's hard not to when ur at work obsessing over it;) lol

Watch the movie and see how he looks in the cockpit to get an idea of the scale.

That's a good idea, I found this pic online, it gives me hope, I need the figure to compare, maybe if I new the scale of a 12 inch figure and the scale of the ship, I have no idea when it comes to that though:(

That's a good idea, I found this pic online, it gives me hope, I need the figure to compare, maybe if I new the scale of a 12 inch figure and the scale of the ship, I have no idea when it comes to that though:(

The scale for a 12 inch figure is generally 1/6th. However that depends on the manufacturer and Hasbro is close. After looking at my Anakin figure it looks pretty spot on for a child sized figure. You should have measured the ship before you disassembled it, then the scale could have been figured out by using a scale calculator with dimensions from a Star Wars website and your measurements. Good luck with the project.

It is roughly 4 feet by 7 1/2 feet, I just put as much together as possible and did the math for the rest. Where do I go to find out the scale?

Last night I took apart the engine turbines, it was a bit more tricky due to the fact that the anchors had to be broken out of the wood:( ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574731.298487.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574752.715665.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574783.279858.jpg
Then I had to grind the glue off of the studs/ bolts, and saw the rivets off with a Dremel which I will replace with small bolts when I put it back together
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574892.376613.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574920.116515.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371574945.185105.jpg
I pulled out the metal anchor and hit my first speedbump. The plastic on the turbine is softer than the shell of te ship so the super glue that was used had permanently glued the plastics,on either side of the turbine, together. This forced me to have to cut the two halves apart.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371575164.348477.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371575237.561988.jpg
I cleaned out what was left of the plastic but now I am left with two flush halves with nothing to hold them together once glued so I am going to have to think of a solution. Anyone have any ideas? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371577108.197594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371577398.111391.jpg

What if you add a rim of styrene on the inside of the engines that holds it together. Think a smaller pipe inside 2 pieces of pipe to hold them together.

There's got to be a way to create a nice pulsating engine glow effect out the exhuast rings.
Something so large gives a lot of room to work with.

That's true, there is alot of room inside the engine turbines, the engines thrust comes from between the cone and turbine like in this picture, I'm not sure how I would do it. It could be a super bright led inside the engine that could shine out of a crack or cut around the cone but the the structural integrity of the engine might be altered in a negative way. I wa thinking of getting my friend to vac form the cones as well so that way they are lighter and better quality because they are made of some sort of foam right nowImageUploadedByTapatalk1371586598.561750.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371586654.625373.jpg

That's true, there is alot of room inside the engine turbines, the engines thrust comes from between the cone and turbine like in this picture, I'm not sure how I would do it. It could be a super bright led inside the engine that could shine out of a crack or cut around the cone but the the structural integrity of the engine might be altered in a negative way. I wa thinking of getting my friend to vac form the cones as well so that way they are lighter and better quality because they are made of some sort of foam right nowView attachment 199174View attachment 199175

Maybe suspend the cone in a clear plexiglas ring for the light to shine through, it could be frosted so you could not see inside. Then a wood dowel mounted down the center of the cone into the inside structure somewhere solid to keep it centered and from moving, this might facilitate a way to remove it to replace lights later if needed. Even if you don't light it, might be a good idea to not attach them permanately so in the future lighting could be done.

I think that idea with the plexy glass would be super awesome. I would just have to make sure that I would be able to do it without messing with the durability of it. I'm trying to think? How would I make tht turbine so that I can access the interior on demand and not have it a permanent seal, But at the same time have it as durable as if it was glued?

How permanent is that chroming method? How durable is it and what is the longevity of it?

like that chrome wrap, would be cool to have a chrome cat or something weird like that.
this is a cool find and a cool project, lights and lights everywhere, needs sounds and some form of base, either floor or ceiling based.
was wondering about the strength of the ship as a whole, was it built to last or would adding a lot of styrene ribs on the inside prevent it from warping over time; if your going to rebuild this might as well build it strong and right.

the engine lights could be done with the LED strips they have out there, could mix cold white and maybe a blue too get the desired effect.

cant find a link to it, but someone did some work on one of these rigs a long time ago, they had the control panel built inside R2's head, thought that was kind of a neat idea, the little guy is the brain isnt he...

good luck, will be watching!

Yeah that is true, could someone send me some sort of pic or explanation of the styrene ribs? I have an idea but I'm more of a visual person.
The material the ship is made out of is durable, especially the main shell (top as bottom) ,it's made of a hard plasticImageUploadedByTapatalk1371758022.918851.jpg
And so are the turbines but they are made of a softer plastic. Since I do want to make this as durable as possible and last forever, I would like to reinforce anything I possibly could to make it stronger. I do plane to put LED strips in the turbines but I am having a hard time how I am going to give it the effect without jeopardizing structural integrity:( I also want to add LEDs in the cockpit as well at R2. Maybe have so e sound to go along with effects but these will all be things done at a later date. I really want to figure out how I am going to have all these electronics wired throughout the ship, powered and have easy access to them. How would I turn them off and on?

with the ribbing just picture it as building a rib cage inside of your ship, it would help with strengthening the over all body and should keep it from sagging or drooping over time.

planning the electronics for me is one of the first things i do, that way i can figure out were things will go and how much of something i will need, that and getting the electronics set up while things are apart is a lot more easier.

That is true, I think I should talk to my mums husband to figure out his ideas because he is the expert electrician/programmer. I'm gonna tell him what I want and I'm sure her will know how to do it and the layout.

I can picture the ribbing but how would the Instal be? Would it be circle strips and what about adhering it to the inside of the turbines

if i were you i would try things out until you find something that works; you want to get your hands dirty and figure it out on your own, this makes the finished product YOURS. trial and error is a great learning experience and by completing a problem on your own it can be very rewarding. whats the worst that can happen, you have a fighter with a bunch of crap on the inside that does nothing, but you will still have the shell which is cool in its own right

This is very true my wise old friend;) I'm just trying to take some techniques and tips the experienced, sometimes I will overlook or not think of something that could have been easier and more efficient.
I was thinking of getting a Rubbermaid tub from Walmart and cutting strips out of it and bending them into the turbine to create that ribbed effect, but my issue with be with the joint area of the strip. Won't all the pressure on the bend be pushed out at the seam of the joint cause it to oval over time?

Update- I discussed the plan for electronics with my mums husband since he is an experienced electrician/ programmer, and he told me to draw up the plans and we will get started. I'm trying how to figure out how to sync music up with lights, if I were to go that route. I think that would be the only road block I'm lookin at but I'm sure we will figure it out.
I cleared all the old plastic and glue from the parts this weekend and I'm just about ready to move forward.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back