6 foot N-1 Naboo Starfighter restoration

Lucasfan7

Hi everyone,
Recently I have been extremely lucky to receive one of the 6-7 foot N-1 starfighters that was used for promotional purposes in toys-r-us for the 1999 release of TPM.
I don't think I have been so excited about an addition to my collection, like I am about this. But here is the deal, I need to do some work to it because it was hanging in my friends garage collecting dust and one of the "wings" has started to separate at the seam, The R2-D2 has also been through a few battles of his own and is missing the lens on the back of his head, and numerous other little things need repair. Besides small modeling, I don't have much experience with this kind of thing so that's why I brought this project to the experts;) what suggestions does everyone have to fix these issues and also what product could I use to thoroughly clean it. I don't want to risk discoloring it with chemicals. I know sometimes my Stormtrooper armor will be sensitive to certain products.
My plan is to actually take the whole thing apart, clean it peice by piece, fix anything that needs to be fixed, sand it down and repaint (with more screen accurate colors of coarse).
The guy that gave it to me actually has a plastic vac machine so he said if I take out the cockpit window, he will make me a replica transparent one so that way I can built a cockpit for it.
Any suggestions on what I can do to make this bad boy look amazing will help. I have a big project ahead of me.
Thanks for all the help that can be offered and I'm excited to start this project with everyone;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371396653.013885.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371396687.073735.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371396711.294898.jpg

I'm on it, any specific shots needed?
The N-1 is constructed out of plastic and is hollow, except for where the engine turbines connect to the wing. Right inside the wing there is some sort of composite wood.

Ok, that will be easy, I am taking them now, let me upload them real quick. I think I am also gonna need advice on how to pull apart the different pieces, since they are glued together. I figure the glue on the wing has obviously loss ended up so it's possible to do it to the. Rest. U will see by the pics that there are a few other pieces that have come loose due to the old glue coming apart.
I will post pics in a few mins.

Eventually it might be interesting to think about making R2 look more convincing. Some actual lenses and lighting would go a long ways.

That would be sick, I was thinking about that yesterday:) I want to either replace him with a more realistic R2 dome, or completely refurbish the one it it with a new paint job, lights and obviously replace the missing sensor on his head. I have no idea what I can use for that though. I really wanted to use the remote control R2 in it but when I got it home I realized that it would be to big:(

Looks like after years of being in the Garage for years the heat caused the adhesive to break apart. I would pop all the parts open and clean up all the old glue and just re glue everything. either using CA or epoxy.

And it definitely needs a better paint job. and a cockpit with a clear canopy.

Ok, that's a good plan:)
I have started taking the pieces apart already, super slow process (using a thin scraper). I really don't want to tear or break any pieces. My friend already said he would vac form the canopy which is awesome, the cockpit on the other hand is going to be a pretty intense job;).
Once I have everything taken apart I am going to clean it up and make sure every single piece is thoroughly cleaned as possible and I'm going to work on each piece individually, take my time.
Which glue would be best for the most permanent hold? Difference between ca and apoxy?

I have started taking the pieces apart already, super slow process (using a thin scraper). I really don't want to tear or break any pieces. My friend already said he would vac form the canopy which is awesome, the cockpit on the other hand is going to be a pretty intense job;).
Once I have everything taken apart I am going to clean it up and make sure every single piece is thoroughly cleaned as possible and I'm going to work on each piece individually, take my time.
Which glue would be best for the most permanent hold? Difference between ca and apoxy?

Got the whole thing apart last night minus the turbine engines, it all came apart nicely. Smelt like it was held together with super glue.
Next step, clean it all up:) I'm gonna get rid of all the old glue and make sure all the edges are smooth.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371464607.199706.jpg
This is the piece that securely holds/anchors the engines to the wing, it is made of some sort of composite wood,but the one on the right side is all messed up, I may be able to salvage it but most likely not. Should I try and make a make-shift one to replace it of find a new way to anchor it? Also, I am going to have to get the engines out of the wood since that is the only way to take apart the engine,but they are held in with some sort of gray glue, this may be a challenge, how should I attack this issue? Thanks folks

the wood looks like MDF, but not sure.

i would lightly chip away the glue or just sand it with a dremel. just take your time. this could look really cool with a good paint job and cockpit will really help it stand out.

Ok cool, what is MDF? The only thing that sucks is that the pegs that are holding the engine are glued into the wood holes with that grey glue.
I plan on this project taking me a few months, this is sorta my project to keep my mind off of buying other stuff since I'm saving for a house. So I have to make it last and I want to make it perfect because it is going to be the center piece of my wife and i's memorabilia/collector room.the cock pit will most likely be one of the last things I do before I put it all back together because I want it to be perfect and not rushed.

Ok cool, what is MDF? The only thing that sucks is that the pegs that are holding the engine are glued into the wood holes with that grey glue.
I plan on this project taking me a few months, this is sorta my project to keep my mind off of buying other stuff since I'm saving for a house. So I have to make it last and I want to make it perfect because it is going to be the center piece of my wife and i's memorabilia/collector room.the cock pit will most likely be one of the last things I do before I put it all back together because I want it to be perfect and not rushed.

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. It's a manufactured wood product made basically by taking essentially sawdust, mixed with an adhesive and pressed into sheets. You see it a lot for things that need to stay flat, like clipboards. It has no grain so it's less prone to warping.

I'm willing to bet that the "grey glue" is likely epoxy so it's gonna be an exciting job removing it.

--Alex

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard. It's a manufactured wood product made basically by taking essentially sawdust, mixed with an adhesive and pressed into sheets. You see it a lot for things that need to stay flat, like clipboards. It has no grain so it's less prone to warping.

I'm willing to bet that the "grey glue" is likely epoxy so it's gonna be an exciting job removing it.

--Alex

Ok, I know what u mean and I'm pretty sure it is. It looks like it. I hope the glue doesn't give me two much trouble, the glue on the outside of the wood I have already chipped off but it's the glue on the inside of the holes that the pegs are in that I'm worried about, I might have to cut through to the hole and split the wood:(
Hearing folks say this is gonna be exciting gets me pumped, I just hope it's exciting in a good way and not a high blood pressure way;) lol

Nvm, just found one after I googled "Anakin theed 12 inch". They made an Anakin naboo starfighter pilot, but I'm afraid that he may look to small once I have it all together. Maybe not, what do u guys think?
I know I shouldn't be thinking so far ahead but it's hard not to when ur at work obsessing over it;) lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back