5' Falcon base hull building

One of the big problems with 3D printing, is that they can fail in the middle of the night for no real reason. After 3 perfectly normal days of printing, I woke up to find this this morning. Somehow, the print head started to hit the part and caused the print bed to skip. And it clearly happened multiple times. I'm not sure why it would fail after working perfectly well for 3 days but there's a spool of filament down the tubes. Monetarily it's no big deal, a spool is only $25, it's the 3 days wasted that bothers me.

These were supposed to be two pair of outer waistband sections. The build will have 4 sections, each section a pair of parts. It's a poor use of the big print bed, but maybe I'll just stick to one section at a time. That way if there's a failure, it's less time wasted.

View attachment 1793345
It's probably safer to print these one at a time and there is less chances of failure because your print nozzle is not moving all over the place increasing the chance of knocking something over and if the print does fail it'll probably be less than 3 days of print time wasted.

Not much in the way of progress the past couple of weeks. I'm just about finished 3D printing the internal structural parts and I have started laying out the plating on the port and starboard upper walk ways.

1710030562535.png

I do it with paper first, just to be sure things fit where they should and then cut the plastic. I know that large bit in the centre is supposed to be smaller squares, but there's a Sherman tank sitting on top of it, so I don't think I need to segment that part.

I used the Bandai kit as the base guide then double check against photos of the filming model. I've found quite a few errors with the Bandai kit this way....which is ironic given how many Bandai kits went onto the actual model. You'd think they would just go into their archives and take scans.

Speaking of Bandai kits, I realized today that I've probably wasted about $400 on a kit that's not the right one. I recently purchased the 1/24 Bandai M60A1, however that version doesn't include a couple of the major parts required to do a Falcon. You need the pre-1970 M60 kit. The M60A1 kit I have is still in good condition, so maybe I'll toss it up on eBay and see if I can recover some of that money. I never see the M60 kits for sale though, so I'm sort of torn as to what to do here.

Not much in the way of progress the past couple of weeks. I'm just about finished 3D printing the internal structural parts and I have started laying out the plating on the port and starboard upper walk ways.

View attachment 1798349

I do it with paper first, just to be sure things fit where they should and then cut the plastic. I know that large bit in the centre is supposed to be smaller squares, but there's a Sherman tank sitting on top of it, so I don't think I need to segment that part.

I used the Bandai kit as the base guide then double check against photos of the filming model. I've found quite a few errors with the Bandai kit this way....which is ironic given how many Bandai kits went onto the actual model. You'd think they would just go into their archives and take scans.

Speaking of Bandai kits, I realized today that I've probably wasted about $400 on a kit that's not the right one. I recently purchased the 1/24 Bandai M60A1, however that version doesn't include a couple of the major parts required to do a Falcon. You need the pre-1970 M60 kit. The M60A1 kit I have is still in good condition, so maybe I'll toss it up on eBay and see if I can recover some of that money. I never see the M60 kits for sale though, so I'm sort of torn as to what to do here.
RealDaveWinter,

I can provide you castings of the three missing pieces that the M60 supplies that are not in the M60A1 -- meanwhile, USE the M60A1 pieces you already have for those other 6 pieces if you're going the "as many original greeblies as possible" route, b/c the M60's are exceedingly rare these days. PM me with your snail mail address if you need them.

SK

RealDaveWinter,

I can provide you castings of the three missing pieces that the M60 supplies that are not in the M60A1 -- meanwhile, USE the M60A1 pieces you already have for those other 6 pieces if you're going the "as many original greeblies as possible" route, b/c the M60's are exceedingly rare these days. PM me with your snail mail address if you need them.

SK

Great, thanks. I'll give you a PM.

Does anyone have a good clear photo of the Port Side Lower walk way? Specifically the mechanical area furthest inboard? The only photos I have are at weird angles that are not clear, or they're perpendicular angles but the image is such a low resolution you can't see anything.

thanks

Thanks, yes, that's the one I'm using as well.

My question is about the 8-RAD bit (#155), looking at the Bandai Falcon it looks to be part C2 from the kit (placed in upside-down), but other sources suggest it's part B17. And looking at the bottom up photo in Chronicles, it looks to be something all together different, but the image is so low resolution I can't really tell.

I thought I'd make this post a little different, and it's likely to be a long one, so bear with me. I thought some might find it interesting to see how I do my part casting and what products I use. As most know, there are several parts of the Tamiya Centurion MKIII kit used in various places throughout the build. As these kits are about $200 CAD after shipping, it makes sense to make copies of the parts required rather than buying a bunch of kits. You could absolutely 3D model and print these parts, there's nothing particularly difficult about them, but the real parts have nuances, like sink and ejector pin marks, that would be pointless to 3D model. So casting duplicates will capture all that.

For my purposes I use all Smooth-On products. OoMoo 30 2 part rubber for molds, and Smooth Cast 300 and 310 for the casting resin. None of these products require a vacuum system to degass them, although if you do this for the rubber it couldn't hurt. The Smooth Cast 3xx series of casting resins do not have enough working time to make it doable, and they already have an extremely low viscosity, so bubbles are very rare. The 300 has a pot life of 3 minutes and a cure time of 20 minutes, which is really only suitable for single part molds that you are pouring into a cavity. For two part molds, you want to use 310. It has a pot life of 20 minutes and a cure time of 4 hours. This lets you work with 2 part molds easier without need to rush everything together.

As these parts will be "2 part" molds, I need to build up a temporary bottom. To do that, I use off the shelf kids playdoh. This is very soft modelling clay that doesn't harden, but I find it is slightly too soft, and sticks to everything, even with mold release. If someone has a better suggestion for the clay, please let me know. I use LEGO for mold walls because they provide even sides that give me uniform mold thicknesses and, more importantly, you can make molds any size you need, then reuse all the parts.
1710341655202.png

Once the temp layer is complete, and the parts placed, I add the fill and overflow runners. I usually use solder for these as I can bend it around corners and easily cut it to any length I need. A little bit of Elmer's white glue is used to create larger pour ports and seal the edges. The LEGO bits in the middle are just there for alignment purposes.
1710341759981.png

Once that's all done, the first layer of molding rubber is poured in. Smooth-On OoMoo 30 takes about 6 hours to cure, but I leave it over night.
1710341897704.png

Once the top half of the mold is completed, I take the LEGO walls off, and peel off the playdoh from the bottom. Remainder playdoh, of which there's a lot, gets scrapped off with toothpicks. The LEGO walls are put back and the runners resealed on this side with more white glue.
1710342008209.png

At this point you must use mold release. The Smooth-On casting rubber will never stick to any of the parts, but it will stick to itself. If you don't use mold release, you'll end up with a single part mold with plastic stuck in the middle. For this I use Mann Release Ease 200. When selecting mold release, be sure to NOT use one that is silicone based. Otherwise you're just adding casting rubber in between to layers of casting rubber.

Once the second half of the mold is cured, you should have something like this;
1710342344946.png

Pull out all the parts and runners, do any minor clean up as required, and put the two halves back together. I use rubber bands and tongue depressors to hold the two halves together, but I'm sure there are better ways.
1710342438975.png

From here, mix your resin and pour into the fill holes. The other holes you added allow air to be pushed out while you fill. If you don't have these extra holes, air can't escape and you end up with cavities at the bottom of your parts. If large enough, you can pour the resin directly, but I put the casting resin into a disposable 1ml syringe and 'inject it' into the mold. This pushes the casting resin into all the little nooks and crannies. The casting resin I use is very close to water in terms of its viscosity, so when it starts to squirt out of the air relief holes, you can stop the injection process. Now just wait for the curing to take effect. With the Smooth-On brand, the resin will change from clear to white (and become quite warm).

After the cure, you can pull the two mold halves apart.

1710342786831.png

At least in my case, with how I do things, there is some clean up of the parts required, but you still capture all the fine details of the original, and once in place and painted, there will be extremely few people that will know they're castings and not original kit parts. Also, you end up with more, completely usable, LEGO parts. So there's a bonus there.

For those that want to give this a try, Smooth-On sells a 'starter set', of the products I use on Amazon - Smooth-On Starter Set

I'm not sure if this is useful information or not, I think most people tackling studio scale models probably already know this, but maybe it helps someone.

Last edited:
My local Reynolds Advanced Materials sells Smooth-on products. I plan on visiting them over Spring Break to start experimenting with this, likely with some incoming parts for a SS Tie Bomber before I get into my Falcon.
Thanks for this, David!!

I use off the shelf kids playdoh. This is very soft modelling clay that doesn't harden, but I find it is slightly too soft, and sticks to everything, even with mold release. If someone has a better suggestion for the clay, please let me know.
Newplast plasticine is a standard modelling clay for that, and it can be found in hard and soft grades (Wallace and Gromit are made from it). Hobby stores often stock the softer stuff for kids here in the UK. There are other brands such as Plastilin.

Newplast plasticine is a standard modelling clay for that, and it can be found in hard and soft grades (Wallace and Gromit are made from it). Hobby stores often stock the softer stuff for kids here in the UK. There are other brands such as Plastilin.

Great, thanks. I'll see if I can find that in Canada.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back