3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaboration)

Re: 3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaborati

I haven't heard anything good about the digitizer. I think its just way too low res for anything useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaborati

Anybody have the makerbot digitizer :)
I have it and I really wanted it to be great. It just isnt. Ive tried all different lighting and powdered objects nothing good to say about it.

I worked for makerbot for all of 2012, and have a couple of their machines. I also work for tinkerine, the leading 3d printing company in canada so I've got all of their machines too... The Litto, Ditto+ and DittoPro. I've been 3d modeling since 1997, and have access to the top 3d scanning equipment around because the largest and most experienced 20+ years in the industry 3d scanning company is here in town in Baltimore. They did the Han Solo scan for me, as well as lots of work for top artists in the world, top hollywood movies, museums, military, etc. I run Custom 3D Stuff and was the organizer of www.wethebuilders.com

I urge everyone who has a 3d printer to sign up for free at We the Builders

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ditto+ is great value. You have to be sure you're not getting a machine which requires you to use that company's filament. 3d systems does that, and charges you a ton for it. Also some machine makers make you buy their certain sized spool, like the new makerbots. regular filament fits, but the spool wont fit on the back =/

I joined up with Tinkerine because I liked the Ditto+. The Ditto pro is way nicer, but costs a bit more. I use my Ditto+ all the time. It's 9" tall, so height is never an issue, and it prints with great quality. A big thing to remember is just because a company is advertising a resolution for their machine, doesn't mean it prints well at tht resolution. some machines' prints at 300 microns look way better, way smoother than a machine that's printing at 100 microns. The quality of parts used in the machine's construction really makes a difference in the end result. There are some $500-1000 machines on the market that advertise good resolution but print poorly at it and the parts just look like crap

while the ditto+ can print at 100 and dittopro at 50, i rarely find myself needing better than 200 because it's good enough, and i don't often want to wait 2x or 4x the time for the print. here's a 300micron print of the grail

IMG_20140425_015858.jpg

IMG_20140425_033243.jpg
IMG_20140425_031715.jpg

I have an Ultimaker 2, some prints here

3D prints ? Paul Braddock

As far as collaborations go, it's not really something I'd consider. Printing can be a long and arduous task, what time I do have to spend on projects and printing is well and truly counted for with my own things.

The UM2 is a good option though for both build volume and quality of prints.

My solidoodle 4 has been ordered! It should hopefully be arriving in a few weeks.

Same here..

Last edited:

So anyone ? Pros and Con between ABS & PLA Filaments ?

3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collabo...

So anyone ? Pros and Con between ABS & PLA Filaments ?

You can smooth abs with acetone vapor and glue pieces together with a mix of abs and acetone unlike pla where the only thing you can so is sand/bondo the rough surface also pla van be printed without a heated bed whereas as you need a heated bed but for pla you will need a fan on it as it prints because it needs to cool with each layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLA also prints at a lower temperature

good to know if I had my PLA or ABS in the car which would melt, warp both or none...

This popped up on the door step today.....

Neither PLA or abs would melt or do anything in the car. I like abs better personally. I have used both. Harder to work with ABS initially but once you get the hang of it, it is a better material. Goodluck with the new printer!

First Print :D

greetings,
so i have decided to pull the trigger on a 3d printer and after many months of researching i wanted one that is widely used by others, in case something happens or I have a question, there are a vast community I ask turn to. So after searching here, it seems like the two most used printers (by those who say which printer they use) are the Makerbot Replicator 2 and the Soildoodle.

Makerbot has a very large google group community that I have been watching for the past couple months, and read that it has been recently confirmed that Makerbot will stop producing the Replicator 2, but will still have parts available, but still makes me worry, just a bit.
Soildoodle also has a active forums that I have been monitoring as well. seems like Soildoodle has less problems then Makerbot. I did take into account that there are much more users on MB group than Soliforum, but still something to think about.

With the makerbot costing more than twice as much as Soildoodle. My choice seems to lean towards Soildoodle, but I still want to hear what others think?

greetings,
so i have decided to pull the trigger on a 3d printer and after many months of researching i wanted one that is widely used by others, in case something happens or I have a question, there are a vast community I ask turn to. So after searching here, it seems like the two most used printers (by those who say which printer they use) are the Makerbot Replicator 2 and the Soildoodle.

Makerbot has a very large google group community that I have been watching for the past couple months, and read that it has been recently confirmed that Makerbot will stop producing the Replicator 2, but will still have parts available, but still makes me worry, just a bit.
Soildoodle also has a active forums that I have been monitoring as well. seems like Soildoodle has less problems then Makerbot. I did take into account that there are much more users on MB group than Soliforum, but still something to think about.

With the makerbot costing more than twice as much as Soildoodle. My choice seems to lean towards Soildoodle, but I still want to hear what others think?

Ive actually been tasked with getting a 3d printer for my work (which I'm crazy excited about). I'm also torn between these two and am glad I saw this thread. Hopefully it might help me in which direction to head. Come end of October I have to give a large presentation on the benefits of 3d printing for the fashion industry... Hopefully will have some time to print off a few side project fun stuff

I work in the industry for a prototyping service bureau so I have a variety of machines from various 3D print technologies in both plastic and metal. These are all commercial grade machines and include many SLA's (High res and large platform), SLS sinterstations, Fortus FDM, Polyjet, and a few Projets.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back