3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

It's a great paint job... if I ever get around to printing this out, I may follow your steps (was looking for a way to do it well without an air brush)

Keep up the build log!:D

Well today a good friend of mine showed me this 3D printed 14 piece OB1 lightsaber very proudly I must add ... and to think that eventhough we've been friends for over 20 years now, he just recently watched all 6 films with his son for the first time in a row, now his son is proudly waving his very first OB1 3D printed lightsaber, which I offered to paint if he felt the need. It's quite an ingenious design with no glue needed and some very subtle additional details inside the emitter ... so I asked my friend to print out just an extra inner clamp piece, since I love that design, which then will be put inside my all real vintage parts lightsaber as soon as I have a grenade and put it together ... to 'marry' the old with the new OB1 parts ... so to speak :)

Chaim

Just printed my 14 piece, version, very nice :thumbsup

Have to work out the best approach to painting it as I don't currently own an airbrush, so this could be a little challenging (to say the least). Printed mine on the work Makebot, came out a bit rougher than some of the ones I've seen in here but I'm planning on gluing it together so I'm not too fussed about the bits that don't fit neatly.

You know, since I was shopping for a local printer I hadn't even considered getting another printer to ship to me even though I was going to get someone here to do that. Guess I had tunnel vision.

Wanted to say thank you for this thread and all the links out. I printed the 14 part version and having never picked up an airbrush decided to give it a try. Your tutorial was excellent, here are some shots:

1 just off printer.JPG Just Printed
2 Polyurethane.JPGPolyurethane
3 - Rust Coating.JPGRust Coating
4 Brass and Silver.JPGBrass and Silver
5 Salt Finish, shadowing and assembly.JPGSalt Finish, Shadowing, Matte Varnish and Assembly
6 Final.JPGFinal

Really enjoyed the process and am happy with the outcome. This is a nice edition to my ANH Obiwan costume. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Looks really great weathering ... the only part you need to re-arrange is the windvane position into 180º on the neck piece :

:)

Chaim

I'm glad to see so many success stories! :p makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the painting tutorial isn't too quick to follow. Might do my mini-nuke next in a similar formula. For those that have followed the tutorial, any feedback? Too fast? too slow? wish you'd seen something that I didn't cover?

Ordered one from the 3D hub, was actually a printer almost a mile from my workplace. Pick up Monday. Thanks for the awesome file. It's the 4-piece, if I do alright with it, I'll do the biggie. Anxious.

Picked up my 4- piece today. Was surprised the quality was so nice.

The small bend/tab on the lever printed really thin and I inadvertently broke it while sort of not paying paying attention. No biggie though as I plan to replace it with a metal replica.

This is impressive, I will print the 14 piece for sure. Need to paint this up first.

Thanks for offering up those files, I sorta wrote the Obi Wan saber off as too difficult. Stoked to be able to build one up!

5b22f6db9ea3a0c63dc26dda007d0662.jpg

55209cc70c5055293fa3d3603d10b355.jpg

cabc0f59d9f484de1e6630b28405b00d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back