3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

Hey guys,

Little bit late to this thread, but ive now finished my second Obi Wan 3d print from Jacky. This is by far one of the most exciting builds ive had in a long while and the weathered was first to be done. After that I then wanted an AFBB model. They are not perfect by any means (my paint - not Jackys creation :)) but that guy has made a lot of prop collectors happy. Im just hoping we get more and more soon enough. The chrome on the AFBB was a bitch to get right, and plenty of cursing involved-especially as these are both painted using rattlecans!!! The best part is that im using a real original AS handwheel on the weather at the moment ( yes, the exact one as per the original) so this is my found part saber :) I have another to go on the AFBB aswell.

SAM_4321.JPGSAM_4320.JPG

With regards to the foil tape I tried that but was too lazy to prime it numerous times to get the flat surface. Im sure it could be done. However, after buying two replica bubble strips from Roy's site (Wanna Wanga) I saw these:

http://wannawanga.com/products/tfa-clamp-cover/

Now I bought one for each of my builds and im sure they will compliment them well and give them that really cool real metal look. Ill post up pics when they arrive to show how they look.

I think with a bit of work, real bubble strips and these covers that these 3D sabers can look as good as machined versions . heck, even with the standard supplied bubbles and clamp it looks great.

Lee

Spent the last two days printing everything. Most everything turned out very, very well. The res on our Makerbot isn't great, but I was able to do 15% infill with layer heights of about 0.18mm - 0.1mm, depending on the piece I was printing. The stand had a warped corner, so attempt 2 is pending.

The only issue I had was with the switch and pin. The groove on the pin and the slot on the switch aren't coming out accurate enough and I can't seat the pin at all. Any tips for how I could print them differently? On their sides? With supports and file when done? Thanks!

Spent the last two days printing everything. Most everything turned out very, very well. The res on our Makerbot isn't great, but I was able to do 15% infill with layer heights of about 0.18mm - 0.1mm, depending on the piece I was printing. The stand had a warped corner, so attempt 2 is pending.

The only issue I had was with the switch and pin. The groove on the pin and the slot on the switch aren't coming out accurate enough and I can't seat the pin at all. Any tips for how I could print them differently? On their sides? With supports and file when done? Thanks!

Did you print this switch and pin? https://www.youmagine.com/designs/light-saber-pin-and-switch-revision
I updated it a while ago, but its not in the same 'set' as the complex saber so you might have missed it.

Print this one as is (all at once mode), wedge an exacto between the cylinderical support and the pin head and push the pin through. The rectangle is there to provide some extra cooling time for the switch and pin so you can toss that when done.

For real, that crystal chamber is a great idea :thumbsup the paint job looks good as well, really dig the booster.

looks awesome! love the HDR style photos too.

The crystal is a nice touch, was hoping for someone to do something with the interior either with lights or crystals or something :D

Thanks, everyone. This wound up being, imo, one of my best prints. All pieces came out great, largely due to the forethought put into and the quality of the 3D renders, and the Makerbot didn't jam. That's a first for so many consecutive prints! :lol

Damn. I was doing some painting outside and left my emitter on the concrete. Never thought it would get hot enough to melt this thing. Really bummed. I don't think I can order single pieces from Valcrow. Anyone with a 3D printer can help a guy out?
0286519c8fb764512371e8b112489b32.jpg

Man, that does suck. Blast this hot weather!! I do think thats the best bet and hopefully someone will come through for you.

and if worse comes to worse you can always try some more heat and maybe get it back into shape.

Damn. I was doing some painting outside and left my emitter on the concrete. Never thought it would get hot enough to melt this thing. Really bummed. I don't think I can order single pieces from Valcrow. Anyone with a 3D printer can help a guy out? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160626/0286519c8fb764512371e8b112489b32.jpg

Oh dang, we just came back from a show, and a few of the big prints had defomred in the car. Its supppppeeerrr hot.

Anyways, we can send you the piece no charge if you cover shipping. Or local printer works too!

Finished with the chrome treatment on the clamp. I was purposefully heavier on each pass to give it a more satin appearance. I also applied some ebony Rub 'n Buff over the booster section to give a sorta black oxide look and copper Rub 'n Buff on the wind vane section. The paint on my grenade section still drying out in the garage....
b855ca8385e6b53ec210014f7fe2e8b5.jpg

0b846db65da66b055676671e87ee2d0f.jpg

Oh, used a 1 inch D-Ring from Lowe's and my leftover bubblestrip from Korbanth's Graflex 2.0.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back