32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 13

I hate to come in here like a noob...but isn't the original painted with a 50/50 mix of those Floquil paints I'm sure you all know about, Reefer white and Grime?

I hate to come in here like a noob...but isn't the original painted with a 50/50 mix of those Floquil paints I'm sure you all know about, Reefer white and Grime?

Apparently so, but have you ever used them? Its about the most nasty paint ive ever put through my brush, basically brain cancer in a jar, even with my mask, i can taste the crap.
Then, there is the case of getting a decent jar or two in the UK, much of the Floquil range ive paid big money for in the UK, has been congealed cheese in a glass jar :lol.
Id go with a custom Tamiya mix, way safer, easier to mix, and easier to get hold of.

lee

Apparently so, but have you ever used them? Its about the most nasty paint ive ever put through my brush, basically brain cancer in a jar, even with my mask, i can taste the crap.
Then, there is the case of getting a decent jar or two in the UK, much of the Floquil range ive paid big money for in the UK, has been congealed cheese in a glass jar :lol.
Id go with a custom Tamiya mix, way safer, easier to mix, and easier to get hold of.

lee

I'd do it anyway. ;)

Accuracy FTW.

Guys another small update,

I've been using Ozzy's brilliant graphics to build the cockpit,..
door1sml.jpg

cokpt1sml.jpg

door2sml.jpg

Using the graphics as a pattern I transfered the sizes to styrene and cut them out. I intend to print them out again onto decal paper and stick them onto the panels. I'm hoping that the lights I have at the back of the cockpit will shine though when I make some holes, and the thin spaces between the panels on the back wall, will look like the light strips...anyway we'll see..
I dunno if the diamond flooring is cannon, but I thought there must be some sort of flooring there, so I made that bit up..

That's it for now,
Cheers, Phil

I´ve bin watching this for some time now, look great!!!

Felix

Stunning Phil, your scratching skills are to be much admired mate!.
Just amazing what can be done with simple styrene sheet.
That is one fantastic cockpit, it's really going to set the build off.
Stu

Excellent details Phil! I would've gone the route of the set cockpit too ..... I'm curious, will you put the minature "Tupperware Lids" on the back chairs too?

Fantastic work. I've been subscribed for a while but the cockpit really takes it to a new level. Keep up the great work.

Just a geek thing, I caught watching Empire in HD is how Han has apparently pounded the back wall of the cockpit on more than one occasion. The one tile is noticeably worn and beat up. I thought I'd pass it on.
swonesixth.jpg

:) thanks guys, Nice pic shadowman, I need to add that bashed bit...
Never noticed those tupperware things on there before Scratchy, aren't they used on sandtrooper backpacks..? maybe they're han's trophies from imperials he's blasted...:cool

Cheers

Phil

lee

Have to agree with that. I used the floquil paints when I repainted my mr falcon and it is some nasty smelling stuff. What I disliked the most about it though was that it seemed difficult to me to get a nice smooth finish. If the mixture wasn't perfect it would always want to make a rough, sandpaper type finish which didn't work as well for me when going back over it with weathering. The "grime" base color would also get yellow streaks in it in any areas that got rubbed too much, which isn't hard to do when you're working over such a large piece. On the other hand, the tamiya paints have always laid down incredibly smooth, aren't very toxic, and make a very durable finish.

That said, I still think I'd acquire one small bottle of each of the primary colors just to make my own color chart of sorts to match the custom mixes to. Since the floquil colors where what was used for the original, they all have a very unique look and I'd try to stay as close to those as possible if it were me. The base for the filming miniature was straight "grime". MR went with a 50/50 mix to make the finished bird look closer to what was seen on screen. Interestingly enough, most of the shipped birds were all considerably darker than straight grime.:lol

GREAT JOB ON THIS BUILD!!!!:thumbsup

having just caught wind of this build, and your pics so far, all I can say is...... HOLY ****! :eek
The attention to detail is just simply amazing. Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

I don't know whats more impressive, the actual build or the fact you guys are able to ID so many of the original parts :O . This thing is beautiful ! Cant wait to see it finished.

Guys. you're all very kind, it's done now apart from the steering column thingies in the cockpit, so it's primer time ! I'm gonna take some more pics before the primer goes on, just as a record of what went into it.

Crickey, I never really thought it would get to this stage to be honest. Sometimes I felt it was too big a job to tackle, and it kinda didn't look any nearer, even though I'd spent months on it..

Anyway, I suppose it's worth sticking with stuff, and it'll get done in the end.

All I need to do now is make a total hash of the paint job..:lol

Cheers
Phil

Wow! Great stuff, guys, on all accounts... the build, part identifying, the skill level and talent to scratch build this ship... INCREDIBLE!

I'm looking forward to more pics and seeing it completed. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back