25 years since SW Special Edition

My buddy runs 4.20 4.30 and is in street class, steel body, 10.5 tire, all electronic suspension.. totally insane where we are.. lasers that read tire slip by seeing driveshaft speed vs GPS movement

That computer then sends data to the ignition box to retard timing, once tires drag and driveshaft speed is equal to GPS movement she flips back to the desired ignition timing

We have the same laser setup for wheels too, if the distance is too far it pulls timing, totally insane…

Another friend runs 4.70s and he’s got full interior full suspension, radio. These cars are 250k all day long, i was just at his shop last weekend to see his new engine block.. just the long block, rotating assembly and heads.. 80k… I’ll never compete, I had a hard enough time competing in the 8.50 class

I use to race a 9.90 class, that was the funniest of my life.. and affordable.

Yeah, going fast is a drug that gets its hooks into you. And it tears through your money like most drugs do.

Sorta like nitrous. Guys start off thinking "I'll just try a LITTLE shot on this motor" and then pretty soon they are blasting it with more & more. Then they blow a motor. They figure they might as well build the next one stronger so it can handle the nitrous this time. Another addict is created.

I'm impressed by the electronics these days but it's also changing the sport. The high-end motorsport leagues always end up policing & banning electronics to prevent it from becoming more critical than driving skill. It's harder to police it at the lower levels because the cars are more production-based.

It blows my mind that you can get usable vehicle-control data using GPS. It's hard to imagine it could be precise enough for something like that.

I've read that somebody (Bosch?) is messing with programming an automatic transmission to downshift before curves in the road, using GPS info about the road ahead. Sounds nice when it works. I wouldn't wanna deal with it whenever the info was wrong. In real life people still get electronic driving directions that send them falling off bridges or turning into random vacant lots.

Yeah, going fast is a drug that gets its hooks into you. And it tears through your money like most drugs do.

Sorta like nitrous. Guys start off thinking "I'll just try a LITTLE shot on this motor" and then pretty soon they are blasting it with more & more. Then they blow a motor. They figure they might as well build the next one stronger so it can handle the nitrous this time. Another addict is created.

I'm impressed by the electronics these days but it's also changing the sport. The high-end motorsport leagues always end up policing & banning electronics to prevent it from becoming more critical than driving skill. It's harder to police it at the lower levels because the cars are more production-based.

It blows my mind that you can get usable vehicle-control data using GPS. It's hard to imagine it could be precise enough for something like that.

I've read that somebody (Bosch?) is messing with programming an automatic transmission to downshift before curves in the road, using GPS info about the road ahead. Sounds nice when it works. I wouldn't wanna deal with it whenever the info was wrong. In real life people still get electronic driving directions that send them falling off bridges or turning into random vacant lots.
exactly! i have a relative who is trying to play catch up, no way in h3ll can he compete with the other guys.. when you make a "honest" living its very very hard to play in that hobby. If you catch what im saying

he doesn't have the pocketbook for turbos or pro chargers.. so he's big cubes and 500 shot of nitrous, its actually a 3 stage fogger system. which nitrous today is a dinosaur technology

if the turbo car can 60 ft with the nitrous car, the turbo car wins automatically.. its not even worth pushing your nitrous car if you see the turbo cars 60ft time..

but he's blow some much money on nitrous motors he could have a nice twin turbo setup... problem is for him its easier to spend money in bits and pieces, then blowing 60-70k all at once..

i think my uncles best run was... 8.27? car did it once, first time out of the season then go slowly and slowly... when using nitrous what's that telling you? stuff is hurt! LOL

my father on the other hand is "all motor, 2 speed, super light" no fancy electronics, let go of the transbrake and ride thats it.. his car weights 2300lbs and last motor he had was little over 850. he now wants my motor in it. "one day before i die i want that setup in the car"lol

My sister has been divorced for I think 3 years now. She recently started going out with this awesome guy she used to see 25 years ago, but broke up with him back then for reasons unknown. We all really loved the dude. I would think of him now and then as the guy she should have married. Anyway, I was recently going through my book of ticket stubs, where I jot down who I saw the movies with, and I got to the SW Special Edition stub. Unremembered by any of us, we saw it with the new (old) boyfriend on opening day in 1997. He was thrilled that his name was jotted down in a memory book all this time, only for him to re-enter our lives so much later. We all went to Taco Bell after the movie, and the girl behind the counter asked us if we wanted a huge free bag of food because someone in the drive through placed a $40 order and drove away. Hell yeah! Funny how this 25 year old memory of Star Wars, resumed relationships, and free tacos seems like yesterday.

We also bought advance tickets, so as soon as the theater opened, we waltzed right into the theater (the first ones) and got our prime seat choices while all the other dopes waited in line for a ticket instead of buying it early. I still remember the glares we got as everyone assumed we were cutting in line.

Huh. Both IMDb and Wookiepedia list three separate release dates. Jan 31 for Star Wars , Feb 21 for Empire, and Mar 14 for Jedi. But that trailer makes it sound like they all came out at the same time…

At least here in the United States, they were staggered releases a few weeks apart. My girlfriend and I went to see al the theatrical releases. The Boba Fett cameo in Mos Eisley with Jabba the Hutt really caught me off guard, as did the abbreviated scene with Biggs on Yavin IV.

My sister has been divorced for I think 3 years now. She recently started going out with this awesome guy she used to see 25 years ago, but broke up with him back then for reasons unknown. We all really loved the dude. I would think of him now and then as the guy she should have married. Anyway, I was recently going through my book of ticket stubs, where I jot down who I saw the movies with, and I got to the SW Special Edition stub. Unremembered by any of us, we saw it with the new (old) boyfriend on opening day in 1997. He was thrilled that his name was jotted down in a memory book all this time, only for him to re-enter our lives so much later. We all went to Taco Bell after the movie, and the girl behind the counter asked us if we wanted a huge free bag of food because someone in the drive through placed a $40 order and drove away. Hell yeah! Funny how this 25 year old memory of Star Wars, resumed relationships, and free tacos seems like yesterday.

We also bought advance tickets, so as soon as the theater opened, we waltzed right into the theater (the first ones) and got our prime seat choices while all the other dopes waited in line for a ticket instead of buying it early. I still remember the glares we got as everyone assumed we were cutting in line.
That’s a really cool and positive story. And a classic example of “if it’s meant to be it will be”

I seriously enjoy story’s like this

At least here in the United States, they were staggered releases a few weeks apart. My girlfriend and I went to see al the theatrical releases. The Boba Fett cameo in Mos Eisley with Jabba the Hutt really caught me off guard, as did the abbreviated scene with Biggs on Yavin IV.
I remember seeing Biggs scene and was so confused, it felt different but was the same.. kept on saying to myself “is this new?!”

exactly! i have a relative who is trying to play catch up, no way in h3ll can he compete with the other guys.. when you make a "honest" living its very very hard to play in that hobby. If you catch what im saying

he doesn't have the pocketbook for turbos or pro chargers.. so he's big cubes and 500 shot of nitrous, its actually a 3 stage fogger system. which nitrous today is a dinosaur technology

if the turbo car can 60 ft with the nitrous car, the turbo car wins automatically.. its not even worth pushing your nitrous car if you see the turbo cars 60ft time..

but he's blow some much money on nitrous motors he could have a nice twin turbo setup... problem is for him its easier to spend money in bits and pieces, then blowing 60-70k all at once..

That's the thing about nitrous - it's only the "cheaper" option if you don't grenade a bunch of motors!

Big cubes is cheap fun. But it's hard to hook up all that low-end torque. The turbo setup seems inherently better-suited to dragging than cubes (or nitrous) because you can put down the power in a manageable way.

i think my uncles best run was... 8.27? car did it once, first time out of the season then go slowly and slowly... when using nitrous what's that telling you? stuff is hurt! LOL

my father on the other hand is "all motor, 2 speed, super light" no fancy electronics, let go of the transbrake and ride thats it.. his car weights 2300lbs and last motor he had was little over 850. he now wants my motor in it. "one day before i die i want that setup in the car"lol

It would be fast for sure.

That weight reduction would be like adding another 500 hp onto your motor now. Also easier to hook.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back