2013 Man of Steel Costume

mkwelshie

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently making attempts to make a man of steel replica costume ready for Halloween this year. I'd like to say this is my first attempt at recreating a costume. i've made attempts before but they weren't that impressive. So this is what i have so far:

The first thing i bought was an adults full length wetsuit i then printed off a template for the new symbol. I drew an outline for it with chaulk directly onto the suit.

To make the shape 3D i used a hot glue gun to make it. It took a while but its a good first attempt. i used the same technique for the "belt" and "buckle" shape as well due to the fact the new suit doesn't really have either

The second photo is what they look like after they have been sprayed with gold spray i bought from a car supplier.

As i said its my first attempt so please, be gentle

Last edited:
Thanks very much. very much appreciated. the next part is colouring the suit to blue and adding the detail. i've managed to find some good leather replica PVC which i'll be sticking on after colouring but i'm still trying to work out a way of adding the texture to the whole suit. Not sure whether an iron on transfer printed from home would work but was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on here?

Hmmm, if you wanted to add the texture, I think you would've been better off getting a pattern (search for Sonjou) and dye subbing it, because then you would have a guide to add the raised detail. For achieving the raised detail, it would probably be safe to say that puff painting would be the best option, like the TASM suits, which would give it a 3D design, and make it look more rubbery, like your profile pic. I don't know your budget (My advised option would probs be $250-300), or if you were willing to restart or not, so I'll be watching this thread to see what you end up doing. Anyway, great job for a first build, and good luck! :thumbsup

Your telling me but it has been a alot of fun to do.

Thanks for the idea of using puff paint to add the texture. seriously considering doing it but will be adding it all individually and by hand to the already made suit which may take a while. i've never used it before but would it be possible to use a stencil to add the effect?

Thanks for the idea of using puff paint to add the texture. seriously considering doing it but will be adding it all individually and by hand to the already made suit which may take a while. i've never used it before but would it be possible to use a stencil to add the effect?[/QUOTE]

Im not sure what you mean, but yes you would have to paint on every little detail. That is why the TASM suits take so long to complete. I'm guessing the MoS suit would take just as long. If you used a stencil, it might take more time in the long run, and it probably wouldn't look that neat. I'm not trying to discourage you from it, but I'm warning you that it may not work out well. I don't know anybody thats tried it yet though, so who knows? It may turn out to be more efficient and tidier than what everybodys been doing lately

Thanks for the updates. I think at the moment i'm going to concentrate on getting the suit finished then depending on how much time i have left i may consider adding the texture at a later date.

Update:

Managed to get the suit sprayed to a blue which i'm happy with. i think the darkness of it gives it some really depth.

I'm now adding the leather look PVC to the suit using a glue gun and spray adhesive which is working out really well. still bits to do but i'm pretty happy with the way its going

the next tricky bit is the cape!

Suit completed, now just have the cape to add and we are all done!

Attachments

• IMG-20121009-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0004.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG-20121009-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0007.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG-20121009-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0006.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG-20121009-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0009.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG-20121009-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0008.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG-20121009-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0016.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG-20121009-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0018.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG-20121009-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20121009-WA0017.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 360
Jason - Thanks man

Telnet - wetsuit is pretty easy to move in to be honest. i'm yet to put the cape on which might make moving around a bit more difficult. The heat is good, it keeps you warm enough and you don't need to put any other layers on but not to warm that it makes you uncomfortable. plus it gives a good all together look as its one piece. also an added advantage to the wetsuit and leather is that you can glue gun it straight onto you while you wear it and you don't even feel it.

Just about to start a man of Steel Costume and then I notice ur MK based.

I have just moved back to MK.

Questions... ur boots where did u get them and what have you used for the rubber cuffs / detailing?

Nice work BTW!

Hi Matt

Nice to hear a local costume maker nearby. To be honest the boots are made out of some old Wellingtons that I had lying around. I sprayed them in red then sealed it. TO make them look better I cut an inch thick strip out the back the put in a zip. However I'm going to make a new pair soon as I'm not very happy with them. Going to start with a pair of wetsuit shoes for the bottow then custom make the top half to go around the calf.

As for the details its a plastic leather effect material I got off eBay. The advantage of making the suit from a wetsuit was that I was able to use a hot glue gun to stick the detail on whilst I wore it without feeling the heat. It gave a great finish

Hi Matt

Nice to hear a local costume maker nearby. To be honest the boots are made out of some old Wellingtons that I had lying around. I sprayed them in red then sealed it. TO make them look better I cut an inch thick strip out the back the put in a zip. However I'm going to make a new pair soon as I'm not very happy with them. Going to start with a pair of wetsuit shoes for the bottow then custom make the top half to go around the calf.

As for the details its a plastic leather effect material I got off eBay. The advantage of making the suit from a wetsuit was that I was able to use a hot glue gun to stick the detail on whilst I wore it without feeling the heat. It gave a great finish

Cheers for the insight mate. I've only ever made IM MK VI in foam and Halo helmet and torso traditional pep method.

So I am a relative newbie. But looking forward to building this costume. I am pants with a sewing machine though so not sure how the gauntlets / bracers will turn out. Trial and error me thinks lol.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back