2001 landing bay 1:72 scale WIP

videos look perfect as far as the models and composition. It is playing fast for me as well instead of a slow motion effect

sound wise though they could do without the sound of rollers/wheels :lol:

Seriously though, can't wait to see the final product with proper speed and sound. It is going to be hard to tell which is the movie and which is not

videos look perfect as far as the models and composition. It is playing fast for me as well instead of a slow motion effect

sound wise though they could do without the sound of rollers/wheels :lol:

Seriously though, can't wait to see the final product with proper speed and sound. It is going to be hard to tell which is the movie and which is not
Thanks...that's why I like to see those shots with no sound:whistle::p As sound goes, I think music will be the track I'll use.;)
Trying to see if I can actually put a sound track on that video on my IPad. :unsure:

Thanks kermet...I just noticed something weird about my video postings; I tend to loose the slo-mo feature of the original:oops:
I don't understand why.:unsure:
Oh yes it would be very cool in slow mo but as I saw it Its just amazing super work and with tech like that I am a noob I do well to typest this CUDOS Firend always great one to learn from which lots of your advice has always helped me to become a better modeler Thanks

So, would the Lunar shuttle dock on the other side of the station off camera?
Impossible:( Looking at many pics (from the movie and behind the scene stills +1/72 scale +Mobius Lunar shuttle), I came to the conclusion that it's very unlikely that those two vehicles fit, together, in the SS landing bay.
It's even worse that, even if Orion would just land passengers in the bay and then depart; the Lunar shuttle cannot fit into the bayo_O:oops::unsure:
Maybe the docking of the Lunar Shuttle is done outside with some sort of a gangway attached from the SS to the Lunar Shuttle:unsure:
Obviously the film didn't explore that logistic because it's the only one possible...unless someone can, logically, disprove my theory.

Here's a pic montage...I don't know if it was filmed or not...If looking at the scale of the pit crew and the size of Orion; one sees immediately that the Lunar Shuttle will not fit in that bay.;) same with a simple question: is Orion capable of a 180 turn inside the bay?
Answer: not possible either; it has to reverse to exit said bay. I'll take a pic of the Lunar Shuttle if front of the opening of my model soon.

1704569994737.png

The Aries was always conceived by Lange and Ordway to fit inside the SS-Vs docking bay so i wouldn't go by whatever scale the actual props turned out to be. The pit crew vinyettes for instance were likely over size so viewers could see them better.

The Aries was always conceived by Lange and Ordway to fit inside the SS-Vs docking bay so i wouldn't go by whatever scale the actual props turned out to be. The pit crew vinyettes for instance were likely over size so viewers could see them better.
Here's a pic of the Lunar Shuttle at 9 inches from the landing bay opening (face only): it seems unlikely that the Lunar Shuttle would be attached with a gangway to a turning SS in the first place. Too much torque on the whole set-up.

Attachments

• 20240106_162539.jpg
    20240106_162539.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 76
Does the bay go all the way through the hub, or could there be a different sized one on the other side? I can't remember if we see both sides of the hub in the film off-hand.

Does the bay go all the way through the hub, or could there be a different sized one on the other side? I can't remember if we see both sides of the hub in the film off-hand.
The SS V plug I re-created from the used screen one has a back (not seen in the movie) where the Orion can actually fit and "plug" at the end of that panel (see pic of the 15" landing bay model):

1704660874394.png

Of course, this interior doesn't match the 1/72 scale I just built and filmed. The Airfix model (from the '60s) fits right into that one^^;)

Impossible:( Looking at many pics (from the movie and behind the scene stills +1/72 scale +Mobius Lunar shuttle), I came to the conclusion that it's very unlikely that those two vehicles fit, together, in the SS landing bay.
It's even worse that, even if Orion would just land passengers in the bay and then depart; the Lunar shuttle cannot fit into the bayo_O:oops::unsure:
Maybe the docking of the Lunar Shuttle is done outside with some sort of a gangway attached from the SS to the Lunar Shuttle:unsure:
Obviously the film didn't explore that logistic because it's the only one possible...unless someone can, logically, disprove my theory.

The SS V plug I re-created from the used screen one has a back (not seen in the movie) where the Orion can actually fit and "plug" at the end of that panel (see pic of the 15" landing bay model):

View attachment 1776955

Of course, this interior doesn't match the 1/72 scale I just built and filmed. The Airfix model (from the '60s) fits right into that one^^;)
So, the landing/docking bays are the same on each side?

I just figured the Aries landing bay was different...

Be nice to know how Floyd boarded the thing to get to the moon. :cool:

Last edited:

I like to think there is a bowl shaped depression the Aries fits in---also serving as a comm dish.

Aries looked a bit overpowered but I think it could reboot the ring station if need be.

Yes, both landing bays have the same design since there was just one "plug" (landing bay face + interior) built. The plug was just switched from one side to the other according to the shots Stanley wanted. You can see it many times in the movie because the main steel rod, holding the model, was directly plugged at the front (or the back) to make it rotate on its main rig.;)

Plug is at the back of the SS, in red since it's the unfinished side; you can see that the front part facing Orion is missing:
1704806195180.png

Landing bay is now in front of the finished side and missing at the rear:

1704806567646.png

Publicity shots were set-up to avoid showing the missing plug (at the rear):
1704806980071.png

Yes, both landing bays have the same design since there was just one "plug" (landing bay face + interior) built. The plug was just switched from one side to the other according to the shots Stanley wanted. You can see it many times in the movie because the main steel rod, holding the model, was directly plugged at the front (or the back) to make it rotate on its main rig.;)

Plug is at the back of the SS, in red since it's the unfinished side; you can see that the front part facing Orion is missing:
View attachment 1777463

Landing bay is now in front of the finished side and missing at the rear:

View attachment 1777464

Publicity shots were set-up to avoid showing the missing plug (at the rear):
View attachment 1777465

So, it's all just a mystery then? No idea where Floyd got on the Aries or how? Interesting...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back