2 Sonics for the 2nd Doctor?

Take no notice of the 2nd picture. That has been tweaked by Loose Cannon. Now here's a thought. What if the props guy took it literally when making the Sonic Screwdriver & shoved a mini screwdriver end into a whistle. That certainly would tie up both publicity photos! I'm joking of course, but there is a part of me thinking that this could have been an option. Horrendous thought I know!

I went there at one point as well, but I cannot see the screwdriver shaft in any of the whistle shots, meaning it would either be coming out of the loop end, or it just got lost in the photo grain.

Don't think it's coming out of the loop end if it was a mini screwdriver, just from the way Pat is holding the Whistle as tho he's just lifted it away from the screw, so could be hidden behind his hat? The real screwdriver shot has just him in it so could be a passed photo rather than a still take during filming/ rehearsals?

Don't think it's coming out of the loop end if it was a mini screwdriver, just from the way Pat is holding the Whistle as tho he's just lifted it away from the screw, so could be hidden behind his hat? The real screwdriver shot has just him in it so could be a passed photo rather than a still take during filming/ rehearsals?

The things I notice about that photo is that the large screw is in a considerably lower position than in the shot played right after he opens it. Also, Victoria is no longer on his right.

Given the limited info provided by these pics though, it could be any number of things. The shot could be an "on set" shot of another take, it could be a staged publicity shot, it could just be from later in the scene. Or, there could be a screwdriver jammed into the end of the whistle.

:/

Ok, I'm convinced...

After looking at all the photos again and comparing a close-up with my hand close to the same position....

Looks like script of Fury had a Sonic Screwdriver in it. When it came to shooting the scene the prop guys didn't have have a prop on hand so Pat used a whistle.

:thumbsupEdward:thumbsup

On a second look though at your comparisson shot I'm still not convinved. Especially considering that the publicity shot has him holding an actual screwdriver...

Man it would be nice if this story still existed!

On a second look though at your comparisson shot I'm still not convinved. Especially considering that the publicity shot has him holding an actual screwdriver...

Man it would be nice if this story still existed!

But what about the picture I originally put up at the start of this thread. That looks like a whistle? Seems to me that was taken (as it's same angle as a telesnap) while filming or rehearsals were going on, while the one with Pat on his own is a posed shot as no one is standing buy him. As to why it's a proper screwdriver, perhaps it is as Organic suggest, a screwdriver rammed into a whistle?

In reality, it seems more likely that they were unsure/indifferent about what a SS would be so the different shoots had different "Just use this thing" props. There is only one shot of the screwdriver bit, and were are unsure of where/when it was taken.

Then again, that could just be me not wanting to stick a screwdriver shaft into my whistle...it would be ugly as sin. lol

Ha, ha! Yep. But don't you just know that there's a 90% chance it would be the screwdriver rammed in the Whistle. Oh sometimes the truth can disappoint eh? But let's not think of that. ;) I guess to some here even the Whistle is a disappointment tho! Can't blame them for the luke-warm response to the findings. For years I had created different designs in my head as to what was in Pat's hand to then be shown it was a whistle. Ah well, nice to discover something new for the 50th :)

Ha, ha! Yep. But don't you just know that there's a 90% chance it would be the screwdriver rammed in the Whistle. Oh sometimes the truth can disappoint eh? But let's not think of that. ;) I guess to some here even the Whistle is a disappointment tho! Can't blame them for the luke-warm response to the findings. For years I had created different designs in my head as to what was in Pat's hand to then be shown it was a whistle. Ah well, nice to discover something new for the 50th :)

Well said.

The whistle is definitely a bitter-sweet find. Bitter because it's a fraggin' whistle. Sweet because...well...because I've got one! :thumbsup

Well it's been interesting reading the posts and looking at the pictures. I'm detecting a real disinterest from the find, as though the long lost embarrassing older brother has turned up at a family party and folk just want to ignore it in the hope that it'll go away! ;) Strange isn't it? I can't imagine that that was the reaction when it was first realised that a humble pen torch was the Sonic Screwdriver. That second SS ( as it now must surely be labelled?) has now become the 'Holy Grail' of Sonics, and yet it's equally as unimaginative! Ah well, at least everyone can obtain an Orange version of this little monkey for a few quid & a white pot of model paint, and we don't need a group run so it's not all bad guys. To be honest I think I may have a go at crackle painting one, just to add a little something to it!

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, I think it’s great that you discovered this for the 50th because that is just cool. And really since it was the first story with the Sonic and no one knew what it would become I am not surprised that it was just an item they gave little thought to. I mean a screwdriver that used sonic waves to work, they had to think it was a one off.

That said, I’ve always wanted to have every version of the Doctor’s sonic in my collection. So I, like many others, am on the journey to have the pen light that was later used. However, I can’t see myself buying one of these whistles. Here’s my main reason, while it does appear to have been the used item for the sonic is this story, it’s just a whistle. Where as with the penlight, and I know I am not alone in this thinking, I can see the Second Doctor sitting there with an idea for a sonic screwdriver and using bits and bobs that he had lying around to make one. One of those bits could easily have been a penlight case.

Plus, it seems silly to me that the production team decided to use something that both Jamie and Victoria had on them as well. It makes it less special. Sure theirs were just whistles in their heads but still.

So for me, it’s not that I I want to disrespect this item or it’s discovery, I love new discoveries, I just had one for the 50th as well! It’s just that as sonics go, this is just a whistle to me. I just can’t see past it.
Now, I’m glad those of you who want it are able to find it and are having fun, that’s always cool. But I think for me, I have to draw the line at the pen light. It’s more iconic in my mind.

With that, mooneye63 congratulations! It really is a nice discovery. And darn you for making me have to make that tough call that I didn't even know I was going to have to make! ;)

With that, mooneye63 congratulations! It really is a nice discovery. And darn you for making me have to make that tough call that I didn't even know I was going to have to make! ;)

Many thanks & well spotted all re the Whistle. Sorry you had to make that choice ;).

So, let's look at the Sonic used in The Dominators now shall we? Was that really the pen torch with a clip on trigger..?

Haha! You ain't gonna like this Terrasolo. Chatting To my mate tonight, who knows a thing or two about working with props on film/TV prods etc. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the props guys at the time just grabbed whatever was handy for the Sonic in The Dominators too! Only became standardised I guess for War Games as that had longest episode count where it was used. Grab those screen grabs now & let's get ready to name this thread '3 Sonics for the 2nd Doctor!'. ;)

Haha! You ain't gonna like this Terrasolo. Chatting To my mate tonight, who knows a thing or two about working with props on film/TV prods etc. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the props guys at the time just grabbed whatever was handy for the Sonic in The Dominators too! Only became standardised I guess for War Games as that had longest episode count where it was used. Grab those screen grabs now & let's get ready to name this thread '3 Sonics for the 2nd Doctor!'. ;)

For that matter, are we sure that it WAS the same penlight throughout War Games? I swear it's got an angled emitter end in one scene. :angel

Ok stop it! Both of you, just stop it! ;)

Seriously this is interesting that these discoveries have not been made before. But yeah, I'd like to hear about this angled head as well. I don't recall that at all. Can't be where he takes the wall panel off because I made grabs of that scene and the German pistol scene myself before, they were just straight penlight shots.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back