1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Hi G

I think we made the right choice switching resins, though I'll need to order more as my part B is going off :(

Having said that, the first two test pulls of the smaller type turned out well, and are tough enough for the job :thumbsup

44667362-C174-44CF-81A5-BA40507E3561-2003-00000206CB9C74D7.jpg

So while it's still useable, I thought I'd get started on 15,897 switches needed, and are curing as we speak

67C81EBF-4A56-4EDC-BA72-EE4C29271D95-2061-0000020FF09CB015.jpg

Those look GREAT!!!! :) I know you'll be busy with the 18,403 switches... but can you add an LED? Thanks... oh.. and make them functional. ;)

This is the most inspiring thread I've read in ages. An amazing enviable project done to the nines!

Nathan

This is the most inspiring thread I've read in ages. An amazing enviable project done to the nines!

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for the very nice compliment. I do appreciate the kind words indeed. :)

Hi Gang,

Dopey me forgot that today is the start of the regular NFL season! I got a lot done but I'm going to take a small break and watch some long waited for football!

Found a perfect washer / eye bolt combo for the throttle pistons
IMAG0715-1.jpg

Started painting the throttle greeblies
IMAG0718-1.jpg

Sanding sanding sanding filling filling sanding sanding
IMAG0721-1.jpg

IMAG0723-1.jpg

Getting new throttle housing prepped
IMAG0719-1.jpg

Painted underside to accept support for eye bolt throttle levers
IMAG0724-1.jpg

IMAG0722-1.jpg

More to come... but its time for a little football! :)

Last edited:

Hey, I may have missed it but you were looking for the grips for the yokes I have no idea what they used but this seems like it would be an alright substitute

32988.jpg

It looks much better in real life. Just cut the handle off and voila! I'd donate, but I only have one of them, but if you want it just PM me.

Hey, I may have missed it but you were looking for the grips for the yokes I have no idea what they used but this seems like it would be an alright substitute

32988.jpg

It looks much better in real life. Just cut the handle off and voila! I'd donate, but I only have one of them, but if you want it just PM me.

Hi Harry,

That's a VERY GENEROUS offer! Those just might work... :) I would only need the one. The flight controls (yokes) will be going on the second console. I'll shoot you a PM - thanks again! :)

UPDATES and a VID!!!!

The new throttle housing is ALMOST finished!

Mounted the throttle lever mechanism to the housing back plate
IMAG0726-1.jpg

IMAG0727-1.jpg

Under side
IMAG0728-1.jpg

Back view
IMAG0729-1.jpg

Mounted other housing greeblies
IMAG0734-1.jpg

IMAG0735-1.jpg

All together
IMAG0738.jpg

IMAG0739-1.jpg

IMAG0740-1.jpg

Video of throttles on console

The pistons are loose because they were threaded for a larger eye bolt. I reduced the eye bolt size so they would fit the mocked up lever mechanism. The new pistons, made of aluminum, will be threaded correctly and simply screw into place! :)

I still have two other piston levers to mount. The original prop shows them mounted in between the two "aluminum" greeblies. I'll figure that part out soon enough!

More to come!

Last edited:

So cool to see it coming together like that! Looks like the sticks need a little tightening though. ;)

A few more pics to round out the day! Enjoy :)

Trying different greeblie configurations...
IMAG0751-1.jpg

IMAG0752-1.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0754-1.jpg

IMAG0755-1.jpg

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

Stay Tuned!

All,

I've been looking at the monitor surround (Mitchell Matte Box) and I'm not happy with the overall dimensions. I might have to rebuild it...

What do you guys think?

Them switches are looking great Canobi! Did you mention what brand the old/new resins you used are, and how much stronger the new stuff is in comparison?

Them switches are looking great Canobi! Did you mention what brand the old/new resins you used are, and how much stronger the new stuff is in comparison?

Thanks Wavey :)

I didn't mention the resin brands yet, but I can if it's of interest.

The black PU (ill find the brand name later as i escapes my now) is a little strange as far as strength goes. The base and paddle exhibit good strength for the most part, but can sometimes be rather brittle. It took all I had to snap one lost paddle in half, but for some reason the neck always seems to be week, really week. It's a shame, its a nice resin to work with, and I expect it will be fine for something.

The white PU I switched to is by EasyFlo. This one is their roto casting resin (EasyFlo120). It's inexpensive, and extremely tough. Thicker parts (like the bit left in the bottom of the mixing pot) are damn near impossible to break after a day, the downside is the white/off white curing resins don't take pigment very well, and mostly come out a paler shade of whatever colour was added. Painting them is not a problem though, so that's why I made the change.

Hope that is of help in any way

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back